Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I believe the AA policy is you can't check bags more than 4 hours before the flight - but I cannot confirm this 100% (It might be different since you are connecting from an international flight)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: M&M FTL / FB Silver / JP Silver / SkyWards Silver
Sorry, will be arriving 13.00 and departing 23.00. AA to AA.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by fanofmumbai
Sorry, will be arriving 13.00 and departing 23.00. AA to AA.
So your bags should be checked through to your final destination, you'll have to collect your bags to go through customs and then redeposit them on the other side, but it shouldn't be an issue I'd imagine.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I believe the AA policy is you can't check bags more than 4 hours before the flight - but I cannot confirm this 100% (It might be different since you are connecting from an international flight)
Would it even apply to connecting if it was a domestic flight?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mvoight
Would it even apply to connecting if it was a domestic flight?
No, but unfortunately the OP hasn't specified that for us.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:47 am

Sorry to not clarify this... It's international to international connection in JFK.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

Sorry but haven't done this in my life...

Arriving from BCN at 1pm and departing to GRU at 11pm. I will have to claim my bags, go through customs and then redeposit them, where? At the check in counter of AA? Can this be done right after landing, or will I have to wait to redeposit the baggage?

Thank you
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As you exit customs, there will be a place to drop off bags that are already tagged. You won't have to carry them any farther than that.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:42 pm

Thank you

What is the usual time to do everything, claim baggage, customs and redeposit on a saturday at 1pm?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:33 pm

Thank you

What is the usual time to do everything, claim baggage, customs and redeposit on a saturday at 1pm?
The delay variable comes prior to that, at passport control. For a non-US citizen at that time, I would estimate a 30 minute wait or so.

The three tasks you mentioned should add just another 10 minutes, with any luck.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by swiftaw
The check-in times page on AA.com states that only FLL and MCO have a 4-hour maximum check-in time. I think every other station accepts baggage for any flight as soon as they open.

If the OP has a layover of less than 12 hours at JFK and the inbound flight is with AA, the originating station should be able to check the bag all the way through.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Thank you very much for the answers!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:52 am

At what time do I need to be at the airport again?

My flight is departing at 11.25 pm. Is it peak time in immigration?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
JFK Baggage

My son used the luggage storage at JFK end of year 2014 for an 8 hour layover so he could go into Manhattan for a bit. Worked great for him, low cost.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
At what time do I need to be at the airport again?

My flight is departing at 11.25 pm. Is it peak time in immigration?
  1. You should be able to recheck your bags after you are cleared through customs. Find the connecting baggage recheck station and drop your bags there. If they accept them, then you can go into NYC without having to worry about your checked bags.
  2. If they won't accept your bags, then you can store them at the luggage check, assuming AA won't let you check them upstairs at the departure counters. I do believe they will take your bags at the connecting bag recheck station as they should already be tagged through, but this will be your fall back plan.
  3. 1 p.m. is a fairly busy time as European arrivals often arrive between noon and 3 p.m. Eastern Time.
  4. Allow at least 90 minutes for an international departure to clear security when you arrive back at JFK. 11:25 p.m. is not peak, but unfortunately TSA will close down many lanes at the checkpoint after the 3-7 p.m. rush is over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.