Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
People refer lately to "MSC" (most significant carrier) in this forum, but, actually, it's "governing carrier" for this and when AA is the governing carrier (as they may well be on that award, dunno-- I assume so,) there's more flexibility.
Got it. Thank you!
Old May 22, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

It's routing (and carriers) on routing-specific fares and MPM on MPM fares.
I'm reminded that some fares have both components:
Attached Images  
Old May 22, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
I'm reminded that some fares have both components:
I don't understand what that means. If a specific routing is required, how does mpm come into play? Can you explain /give an example?
Old May 22, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think you'll be in

"Group 5 - Premium Economy / Main Cabin Extra / Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards"; that is likely to show on your boarding pass.

There are other groups after you, 6-8, followed by 9, Basic Economy, where they offer those.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2017-a.html.

I know that I get Preferred Boarding (as in Group 5 as stated above), but from what I have read on here and elsewhere, there is a difference between Priority and preferred. Additionally, having the expedited security and check-in would be nice. Could this be what it is referring to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...privileges.jsp ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by bigboy61; May 22, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
First AA flight (J) - LHR-LAX

Hello AA Friends

I've read through as many posts as I can but I'm hoping you can reassure me I've got the best seat and what my lounge options are?
I'm travelling in August LHR-LAX in J and like to make the most of the flight from arrival at the airport! Only other AA experience has been internal US flights...
- Chosen 7a (772 reverse herringbone - equipment change from the 773)
- I can access the Flagship (First Class) AA lounge at LHR with all the food offerings etc.? Will this lounge be refurbed by then? What can I expect in terms of food?
- Order meal online before flight
- Use One World lounge at LAX on return leg
Thanks!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I think this is hopefully a simple enough question for this thread:

I have an AAdvantage Platinum card. It was my first credit card, and it's been open for ~4 years. I really don't want to pay the fee anymore, but would like to keep the card for credit rating purposes.

My questions:
1) Ignoring the short-term credit-pull implications, If I closed this card and opened another, would the loss of a long-term line of credit impact me greatly?

2) Is there any downgrade or pivot to another card I could make that would keep this line open with Citi without requiring a fee?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pwmboslax

I have an AAdvantage Platinum card. It was my first credit card, and it's been open for ~4 years. I really don't want to pay the fee anymore, but would like to keep the card for credit rating purposes.

My questions:
1) Ignoring the short-term credit-pull implications, If I closed this card and opened another, would the loss of a long-term line of credit impact me greatly?

2) Is there any downgrade or pivot to another card I could make that would keep this line open with Citi without requiring a fee?
AA will not give you a bonus on a new Citi/AA card if you have opened or closed another such card within 24 months. So open a new card first (preferably the one that awards 60,000 miles after $3K spend), and then close the old card after you have activated the new card.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bigboy61
I know that I get Preferred Boarding (as in Group 5 as stated above), but from what I have read on here and elsewhere, there is a difference between Priority and preferred. Additionally, having the expedited security and check-in would be nice. Could this be what it is referring to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...privileges.jsp ?
The reason I asked you for the Booking Codes was to see if, through the many changes AA has made to your reservation, one of the Booking Codes had been changed to "Y". If that had happened then, per the link above, you would have received "Priority". It appears, based on your Booking Codes, that is not your answer.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Seth Moore
Are there any shortcuts to upgrading your seats on AA without getting status or paying full price?

Premium seats (the 4" of extra legroom) are $64 for a 2 hour flight which seems crazy. I flew this flight last night and was miserable in the normal econ seats, the extra legroom would be really useful since I make the same flight a few more times this year.

I feel like I made a mistake not using Jetblue like I usually do so I could save $100.
Without status, your options for getting something better than a regular economy seat are:
1 pay the full fare difference between your ticket and the cost of business/first
2 pay whatever AA chooses to charge for a "Preferred" or "MCE" (Main Cabin Extra) seat
3 if you have earned enough AA Frequent Flyer miles, request an upgrade to business/first costing the specified number of miles and $, no status needed
4 if you're lucky, at check-in you might be offered an upgrade to business/first for some $

I think that covers it.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k

My questions:

Another option would be to call and see what Citi would offer as a retention bonus/incentive. Lately they've offered at least a statement credit equal to the annual fee. So if the fee is $95, you would have to buy/charge something for at least $95 and you would get a statement credit for $95, essentially making the card "free".
Old May 23, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by controller1
The reason I asked you for the Booking Codes was to see if, through the many changes AA has made to your reservation, one of the Booking Codes had been changed to "Y". If that had happened then, per the link above, you would have received "Priority". It appears, based on your Booking Codes, that is not your answer.
Ahh! I googled "AA Cost Summary" and found a few pictures that show that same thing. I don't think any of them really discuss why it's there. For example (scroll down to "Ticketing Process") https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/transcon-flight-hotel-package-with-upside/ . There are other screenshots of the same thing, but no one really seems to discuss it.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is there a third region exception that allows you to fly from Africa to South Pacific via Asia (specifically, JNB-xHKG-MEL) on the one award?
Old May 24, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

My questions:

A call to Citi should give you the options for no-fee cards that you can downgrade to, without affecting credit. I downgraded mine a few years ago to a cash back card, so it should be possible to change to a non-AA product.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
That wording usually means you have status or a credit card with a free bag. There is no free allowance but the first bag charge is waived, meaning that a second bag will be charged at the second bag rate. That text is required by the DOT and should be binding. However, this doesn't help you to understand why you have a free bag!
As an update... I put in a complaint with DOT. DOT said it was against their rules and sent a letter to AA. AA refunded my $75. What I learned is that there is no need to argue with the "supervisor" at AA desk. Just pay the fee and put in the complaint, if an airline truly does break the rules.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA
Flying SFO-DEL on an AA ticket but all BA metal, do I get AA or BA's baggage allowance? Assuming BA's but couldn't find anything concrete on either site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.