Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award obligation as airberlin / NIKI depart oneworld / cease operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Obligation for Awards Using AB / airberlin and NIKI / HG
as They Leave oneworld 27 Oct 2017 and AB Ceases Operations

oneworld has announced airberlin and NIKI leave oneworld
effective close of business 27 Oct 2017
link

airberlin filed for insolvency (bankruptcy) on 15 August 2017
airberlin discontinued longhaul operations 15 Oct 2017
  • Leased A330s have been rehomed by their lessors with MH and EW
airberlin seems likely to discontinue all flight operations 1 November 2017

See One Mile at a Time here.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link): "Your flight awards are only valid for designated award destinations served at the time you use the ticket. In the event that American or an AAdvantage participating carrier ceases to serve a destination for which an award has been redeemed, American will redeposit the AAdvantage miles redeemed for that award into your account. (Without charging a redeposit fee - on-AA added note.)
Air Berlin long-haul shutting down completely link

POSTED BY SETH MILLER ON 25 SEPTEMBER 2017 IN NEWS, PAXEX

Air Berlin previously announced many long-haul route cuts effective over the next couple weeks. But the route network from Dusseldorf was mostly untouched. That changed today as the company set an 15 October 2017 date to wrap up the long-haul operations. (See link for more.)
• Adjustments to the airberlin schedule Link

airberlin will need to cease its long-haul flight operations by 15 October 2017, as the aircraft leasing companies are gradually withdrawing their Airbus A330 jets. The connection between Dusseldorf and Los Angeles has therefore been discontinued by 25 September 2017. Further cancellations will follow on 16 October 2017. On 29 September 2017, airberlin will discontinue services between Hamburg and Munich and between Cologne/Bonn and Munich.

What long-haul flights will airberlin continue to operate and for how long?

airberlin will not operate to the Caribbean from Dusseldorf from 25 September 2017. This means that from that date, flights to Curaçao (the Netherlands Antilles), Cancun (Mexico), Havana and Varadero (Cuba) as well as Punta Cana and Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) will be cancelled.

The connections between Berlin and Abu Dhabi, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco, as well as from Dusseldorf to Boston and Orlando will also be cancelled from 25 September 2017. airberlin regrets the inconvenience caused by these cancellations.

Will the flight operation be continued by airberlin / NIKI?

Yes, the flight operations will continue. The published airberlin / NIKI schedule is valid. airberlin and NIKI will carry out the flights as published. Should changes be necessary, e.g. for operational reasons, we will inform accordingly.

Is NIKI also insolvent?

No, as per August 15th 2017 NIKI is not affected by the insolvency. It is not intended for NIKI to file for insolvency. The flight operations will continue as planned.

(Be sure to watch for the status of NIKI as a one world affiliate and AA partner airline.)

(For passengers who booked their plane ticket directly with airberlin, the following applies: for tickets purchased after the insolvency filing on 15 August 2017, we will reimburse the purchase price free of charge. Passengers affected may submit any additional costs incurred via the website www.airberlin.com/complaint. Tickets that were booked before the insolvency filing cannot currently be reimbursed due to insolvency regulations. Rebookings on other airlines are not possible. - see link above or the FT airberlin forum)

Print Wikipost

AA award obligation as airberlin / NIKI depart oneworld / cease operations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yeah, now when I re-click it does that too. It appears to be another of those news sites where you can read the article if you google it but you can't with a direct link.

See if it works for you now; I replaced the direct link with eternally-long google link.
It works well; thank you.

I'm not sure I entirely understand how 38 A320s on ACMI lease to LH will help, other than they'll be able to rid themselves of routes that lose them money. AB still has to compete with Eurowings, Ryanair et al.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by grrizzli
This is very disappointing. I've only recently got a status match to AB to be able to enjoy the oneworld lounge in TBIT at LAX. I'm afraid there will be no lounge access as soon as AB leaves the alliance.
That status match could still be useful in a post-AB/post-AB-in-Oneworld world. It wouldn't be the first time where other carriers tried to pick up the FF elites of a collapsed carrier.

This may be as perfect a time to get in on a status match with AB as any.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Wrong thread, delete...

Last edited by spongenotbob; Oct 6, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, anecdotal evidence from deep within AA, indicate to some far more knowledgeable than I that preparations for such a change are already in the preliminary stages at AA.
Any updates on this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Thumper
One of the key factors not mentioned is the policy of booking you on next available space. For me that was 47 hours later, four days into my other reservations.

As an EXP, AA booked me on other partners, but I lost 2 days. And flew coach, as waiting for anything else would have been at least another week.
Recently, on an award ticket, AA messed up and cancelled a leg operated by Alaska... after fighting with AA for 45 min and threatening to submit a rather unpleasant letter they rebooked me on AA metal, giving me the last F seat. Still, I think AA's customer service even for CKs is C-/D+ these days.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:25 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Am I the only one that thinks IAG is getting too big for comfort? They're not exactly a customer-friendly operation with fees, crappy Y class, etc.

Doesn't Ethiad own a significant part of AB?
Etihad Airways is a flag carrier of the UAE
I don't think that an airline not flagged in EU country can buy any EU flagged airline.
Turkish Airline tried to buy Polish LOT few years ago and was rejected because of that EU rule.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m44
I don't think that an airline not flagged in EU country can buy any EU flagged airline.
Turkish Airline tried to buy Polish LOT few years ago and was rejected because of that EU rule.
It is quite possiblr for non EU companies to have shares in EU ones. EY does not , however have shares in IAG as far as I am awre, however Qatar Airways now has a 20% shareholding in IAG ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ays-owner-iag/)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m44
Whoa, so what about IAG? Where is it flagged, and if in the UK, how will Brexit affect its ability to do anything like this if it wanted to?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whoa, so what about IAG? Where is it flagged, and if in the UK, how will Brexit affect its ability to do anything like this if it wanted to?
This is all rather OT, but...

IAG is a Spanish registered company with its corporate HQ in London and listed on the London and Madrid stock exchanges.

How Brexit might affect IAG's corporate status (if at all) will depend entirely on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:30 pm

FYI:

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

I'm led to believe that AB's situation is -extremely- critical. However, also it is indicated that it is far more likely they get absorbed rather than close up shop Malev-style.

I personally do believe that the days of AB as a stand-alone carrier (and for that matter, a member of OneWorld) are very numbered.

And, anecdotal evidence from deep within AA, indicate to some far more knowledgeable than I that preparations for such a change are already in the preliminary stages at AA.
Originally Posted by JDiver
FYI:
Was just gonna post that link
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
AB->AA award opportunity?

Thinking out loud as someone who doesn't have many AA miles left ... given today's AB news and the plausible outcome that AB disappears in a few months, does it make sense for elites (with free cancellations available) frustrated by the lack of AA award availability to make reservations using their AA miles for AB reservations? If AB does go under, AA would presumably have to open up space on their own metal for the same routes, no?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveholt
Thinking out loud as someone who doesn't have many AA miles left ... given today's AB news and the plausible outcome that AB disappears in a few months, does it make sense for elites (with free cancellations available) frustrated by the lack of AA award availability to make reservations using their AA miles for AB reservations? If AB does go under, AA would presumably have to open up space on their own metal for the same routes, no?
Not necessarily.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

I'm led to believe that AB's situation is -extremely- critical. However, also it is indicated that it is far more likely they get absorbed rather than close up shop Malev-style.

I personally do believe that the days of AB as a stand-alone carrier (and for that matter, a member of OneWorld) are very numbered.

Probably even more preparations goin' on now.

Also, this graphic is pretty interesting:

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 15, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Probably even more preparations goin' on now.

Also, this graphic is pretty interesting:
https://twitter.com/winglets747/stat...28538705367040
Good article from Bloomberg here.

Summary: Etihad "pulled their financial plug" due to "operations deteriorated at an 'unprecedented pace' in recent months". A €150 million bridging loan, expected to carry airberlin through perhaps November has been made. Lufthansa is interested in "purchasing parts of airberlin", Nikki may have to go elsewhere due to trust concerns. Ryanair has also expressed interest.

If either buyout offer is accepted, it would be reasonable to expect "auf wiedersehen, oneworld".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.