Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by apeortdz
You were upgraded LAX-OGG...really?
Both legs of the round trip.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:17 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I'm going to be right on the edge of making Platinum Pro by the end of the year. In my case, it makes sense to do a mileage run to try to get it. I generally fly CLT-PBI r/t. That's 560 miles each way, so it's 2 stickers to upgrade, which seems to be a waste. With PlatPro, I won't need stickers to get the upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'll be at around 40,000 EQM by the end of August. I'd like to make Platinum Pro, but travel on the books is light for the fall, so I may struggle tor reach even Platinum. I think I will take my chances on being a high EQD Platinum.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Have made Plat Pro and, after looking at my travel schedule for the remainder of the year, will be at EXP sometime in late-October/early-November. So far the only trip for me as a Plat Pro so far was ORD-DTW and, yes, the upgrades cleared. :-)

I know that if I make EXP and I will hold that status through Jan 2019. My question is, if I don't re-qualify as EXP during 2018 for 2019, will I get a soft landing to Plat Pro for Jan 2019-Jan 2020 or would I just drop to Plat due to my LT Plat status?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Have made Plat Pro and, after looking at my travel schedule for the remainder of the year, will be at EXP sometime in late-October/early-November. So far the only trip for me as a Plat Pro so far was ORD-DTW and, yes, the upgrades cleared. :-)

I know that if I make EXP and I will hold that status through Jan 2019. My question is, if I don't re-qualify as EXP during 2018 for 2019, will I get a soft landing to Plat Pro for Jan 2019-Jan 2020 or would I just drop to Plat due to my LT Plat status?
No more soft landings, so LT PLT.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OTD
I'm going to be right on the edge of making Platinum Pro by the end of the year. In my case, it makes sense to do a mileage run to try to get it. I generally fly CLT-PBI r/t. That's 560 miles each way, so it's 2 stickers to upgrade, which seems to be a waste. With PlatPro, I won't need stickers to get the upgrade.
If you're right on the edge of a higher status I think it always makes sense to do a MR to get there. Plus your CLT-PBI logic makes sense.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I'm going to make PP next week with a couple of short flights (the 500 mile min is really coming in handy for this trip). Already have the EQDs and just got the 4 stickers so my 12.5K clock just reset. Perfect timing all around.

Doing PBI-CLT in Nov with my cousin so hopefully will help us get upgrades on that trip (though both are on A319, so I'm not hopeful - timing issue, otherwise would've selected a different plane).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lhl12
Shifting topic slightly:

I am PLT for life. For the past five or so years I have pretty consistently flown 75-80K miles, after a number of years of being consistently EXP and CK. Being PLT isn't worth much these days, as most readers of this forum already know.

In mid-December, when I was at about 90K miles YTD, I got an unexpected email offer from AA to boost to EXP for $2499.

As it turned out, I had one big trip left in 2016 that I knew would put me over the top for EXP, so I declined. I am now EXP for 2017 for the first time in a while. Had I not known that I would be hitting EXP on my own, I would have been tempted to pay the $2499 for EXP though I think that would have been too rich for my blood. For $1000 I surely would have and for $1500 I probably would have. At $2000 it would have been more of a question mark.

Without a lot of gymnastics, I ought to be able to hit Platinum Pro for 2018. To hit EXP again would probably take a lot of extra effort.

I am pleased that without much extra effort I will likely be Platinum Pro instead of Platinum in the future. In part, the new Platinum Pro level seems to be aimed at people with my current flying pattern, which I appreciate. I would LOVE it if AA would grant Platinum Pro for life status at a certain level, but they seem pretty focused on capping Million Milers benefits above 2 million miles (at least so far).

The question I am trying to figure out as I start the year is how much to value the difference between Platinum Pro and EXP, especially since we don't really know what the Platinum Pro experience is going to be like.

I already know that I would have been willing to pay $1000-1500 to be EXP, and perhaps even more. As I get older, I find myself less willing to go through the gymnastics of mileage runs to hit certain status levels, so I suspect the cash upgrade will become more appealing.

I would welcome all reactions on how to value this particular inflection point in AA's reward structure.
Circling back on this thread....
- Coming to the end of my ninth year as EXP.
- I'm at 82K miles, and am going to Boston next weekend, which will put me at 87K miles. My EQD spend at that point will be about $8K.
- In terms of Upgrades: my main departure airport is LAX. I will tell you that when I fly JFK I'd say I get upgraded 70% of the time, BOS about 50% of the time. (as you know, those 757's have 16 seats "up front," as opposed to the 30 in bus-1st class combined on the airbus on the LAX-JFK route.) Lotta hi-tech in Boston, lotta biomed. That's a tough upgrade to get. Ditto for LAX-DCA.
- I will tell you that since the merger, when I do have to fly a connection it's much harder to get upgraded on those LAX-DFW flights. (The other leg I always get upgraded on.)

So it's probably Plat Pro for me. Like some other posters, I was their target-- the guy who squeaks over 100K flown miles with a low dollar spend. They don't want me up front with the big $ spenders. And I get it, especially on those LAX-JFK flights. I love business class on those Airbus planes.

Three things:

First, what I'll miss the most is the same-day flight change. That's going to be a killer. Since I'm usually flexible, I ALWAYS buy the cheapest flight of the day, then set my alarm and change to the flight I want right at the 24-hour mark (it's a 24-hour flight change, not actually a same-day flight change). Losing this is going to be a killer for me.

Secpnd: upgrade-wise, it's all about FARE CODE now. As an EXP, I'll tell you what I've noticed this year on the cross-country flights: I almost NEVER get the upgrade days in advance. It's within 24 hours, OR at the gate. Here's why: the "time stamp" on the ticket is now the least important criteria. It only comes into play if EVERYTHING else, including the tier (fare code) of the ticket, is the same. So if another EXP buys the cheapest coach ticket one day before flying, they're going to be ahead of me because they're buying at the higher walk-up fare code, and time stamp be damned. It's worthless now.

Finally: I've heard of the $2500 offer for people like me. I;m sure I'll get the email. I'm with the poster above: I just don't think it's worth it above about $1500.

Actually, given the prioritizing of fare code over time stamp for upgrades, I'm interested to see if Plat Pro has an effect for me, upgrade-wise, at all. (The people who will be EXP next year are buying more expensive tickets now anyway, so they would have been ahead of me this year as well.)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by pk1209
Circling back on this thread....
- Coming to the end of my ninth year as EXP.
- I'm at 82K miles, and am going to Boston next weekend, which will put me at 87K miles. My EQD spend at that point will be about $8K.
- In terms of Upgrades: my main departure airport is LAX. I will tell you that when I fly JFK I'd say I get upgraded 70% of the time, BOS about 50% of the time. (as you know, those 757's have 16 seats "up front," as opposed to the 30 in bus-1st class combined on the airbus on the LAX-JFK route.) Lotta hi-tech in Boston, lotta biomed. That's a tough upgrade to get. Ditto for LAX-DCA.
- I will tell you that since the merger, when I do have to fly a connection it's much harder to get upgraded on those LAX-DFW flights. (The other leg I always get upgraded on.)

So it's probably Plat Pro for me. Like some other posters, I was their target-- the guy who squeaks over 100K flown miles with a low dollar spend. They don't want me up front with the big $ spenders. And I get it, especially on those LAX-JFK flights. I love business class on those Airbus planes.

Three things:

First, what I'll miss the most is the same-day flight change. That's going to be a killer. Since I'm usually flexible, I ALWAYS buy the cheapest flight of the day, then set my alarm and change to the flight I want right at the 24-hour mark (it's a 24-hour flight change, not actually a same-day flight change). Losing this is going to be a killer for me.

Secpnd: upgrade-wise, it's all about FARE CODE now. As an EXP, I'll tell you what I've noticed this year on the cross-country flights: I almost NEVER get the upgrade days in advance. It's within 24 hours, OR at the gate. Here's why: the "time stamp" on the ticket is now the least important criteria. It only comes into play if EVERYTHING else, including the tier (fare code) of the ticket, is the same. So if another EXP buys the cheapest coach ticket one day before flying, they're going to be ahead of me because they're buying at the higher walk-up fare code, and time stamp be damned. It's worthless now.

Finally: I've heard of the $2500 offer for people like me. I;m sure I'll get the email. I'm with the poster above: I just don't think it's worth it above about $1500.

Actually, given the prioritizing of fare code over time stamp for upgrades, I'm interested to see if Plat Pro has an effect for me, upgrade-wise, at all. (The people who will be EXP next year are buying more expensive tickets now anyway, so they would have been ahead of me this year as well.)
Your (2) is incorrect. Fare code does not decide upgrades - 12 month rolling EQD spend does. You could have a discount ticket going up against someone with a much higher (or even walkup, non Y-UP) fare code and win the upgrade if you're rolling spend is higher. The fare code is only the tie breaker if the rolling EQD spend is equal (highly unlikely).

Given the EQD number you suggest I'd guess that's what is causing upgrade % to decrease. That, and on certain routes AA still seems to hold upgrades to the gate in an effort to sell more revenue seats (also a highly likely phenomenon for LAX-BOS or JFK flights)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Debating whether to go for PPRO or not. Have an international trip coming up that if I buy CX PE I'll get the EQMs and EQDs to virtually guarantee making PPRO. Not sure if it'll be totally worth it since I'm also sitting on a stash of miles and there is award availability on CX or QR for my dates. All of our flying is personal and we've made PLT the past few years pretty easily. Other than the extra mile per dollar and theoretically clearing for upgrades earlier (which with the exception of off-peak regional flights mean pretty much never), not sure if it's worth it or not. If PPRO offered something else tangible that PLT doesn't get (such as waived or reduced redeposit fees, free or reduced fees for same-day changes), then that might swing the pendulum. But then I guess AA doesn't want to make PPRO too much like EXP.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Debating whether to go for PPRO or not. Have an international trip coming up that if I buy CX PE I'll get the EQMs and EQDs to virtually guarantee making PPRO. Not sure if it'll be totally worth it since I'm also sitting on a stash of miles and there is award availability on CX or QR for my dates. All of our flying is personal and we've made PLT the past few years pretty easily. Other than the extra mile per dollar and theoretically clearing for upgrades earlier (which with the exception of off-peak regional flights mean pretty much never), not sure if it's worth it or not. If PPRO offered something else tangible that PLT doesn't get (such as waived or reduced redeposit fees, free or reduced fees for same-day changes), then that might swing the pendulum. But then I guess AA doesn't want to make PPRO too much like EXP.
The biggest difference for Plat. Pro over Plat is access to the unlimited domestic upgrades on flights over 500 miles. No need to use stickers on longer flights. If you have some longer flights that you regularly fly over 500 miles that might make it worth it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MathMusic
<snip> If you have some longer flights that you regularly fly over 500 miles that might make it worth it.
Assuming of course that one would actually clear as a PPRO on said longer route...

Regards
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Assuming of course that one would actually clear as a PPRO on said longer route...

Regards
Exactly - which given the 50+ upgrade lists on most routes these days ... forget it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Exactly - which given the 50+ upgrade lists on most routes these days ... forget it.
I’m pp. not been upgraded on the last 8 flights. Always have exp or ck above me

unless you are exp you have no chance of upgrades these days
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I’m pp. not been upgraded on the last 8 flights. Always have exp or ck above me

unless you are exp you have no chance of upgrades these days
Always route dependent. On some routes, it may not make sense to even go for Gold. On some, Platinum is sufficient for upgrades. For some, PPro may be a boost. Really depends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.