Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
It's disappointing that Platinum Pro (75,000 mile threshold) doesn't give free Same Day Change while Delta provides it from Gold on up (so at the 50,000 mile threshold).
Was only within 6 hrs, but even US had it for Silvers...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
"Platinum Pro Desk"

When I called AA today, the representative answered "Platinum Pro Desk". I asked if there was really a desk for Platinum Pros and she said that she is with a staff that only serves elites, and, for example, says "Executive Platinum" when people with that status call. Thought I would post this since it seems to be a bit of a change from having a EXP desk and everyone else going to the same staff with elites (other than EXP) only being prioritized in the line.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Anyone purchase Platinum Pro and use it over the past month or so? I will end 1Q with about 21,000 EQM - I am trying to see if I should push for 75,000+ for the year or be content with my Platinum status
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Is Platinum Pro over Platinum really this lame?

I'm going to make Platinum Pro as soon as my CX flight yesterday posts. Already have the EQDs, and just a bit short on the EQMs currently.

In looking at the benefits, it seems that the only benefits I would get over what I currently have are: Higher upgrade priority, no need to use e500s, and 80% Elite Bonus versus 60% with Platinum, and I suppose a priority phone line.

I think these are all the benefits of Platinum Pro over Platinum?

At least from Gold to Platinum, I can see these:
MCE at booking, 60% vs 40% Bonus Miles, OW Sapphire Lounge benefit vs none, preferred seating on AS vs none, 2 bags vs 1, Group 3 vs group 4 boarding, priority baggage, OW Priority security lanes.

I wish AA would provide something of more substance like some Regional Upgrades, an extra bag, etc.

From what I see, Platinum Pro is a tier I'd consider to be a "stopover" tier on my way to EXP. All the other tiers at least offer something. GLD still has some value if flying mostly on AA metal. PLT offers I think the best benefits for someone who flies long haul on AA/OW. PRO just does not seem to improve on that by much.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Upgrades without the requirement to use 500 mile credits seems like a decent benefit - together with being ahead of Platinum members awaiting an upgrade

Surely this is a fairly decent benefit.

It may not have many additional benefits, but these more than were available for someone at 75,000 EQMs in 2016
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
...I wish AA would provide something of more substance like some Regional Upgrades, an extra bag, etc.
Yeah well they don't.

also, maybe this could be part of this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinum-pro.html

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I would think many would find good value in the unlimited complimentary domestic (e500) upgrades. This has exclusively been an EXP benefit since 2004 (IIRC). Personally, that plus the higher waitlist priority would probably be enough for me to justify Platinum Pro over Platinum. YMMV.

-FlyeBeek
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I would think many would find good value in the unlimited complimentary domestic (e500) upgrades. This has exclusively been an EXP benefit since 2004 (IIRC). Personally, that plus the higher waitlist priority would probably be enough for me to justify Platinum Pro over Platinum. YMMV.

-FlyeBeek
Agreed, especially since now PP jumps all the lifetime PLTs in the upgrade queue.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Higher upgrade priority, no need to use e500s....
I think you are underestimating the value of the "higher upgrade priority". While I do not have empirical evidence, I assume the probability of an upgrade goes from "don't hold your breath" for a PLT to a "reasonable chance" for a PLT Pro. Of course, route, day of week and EXP heavy markets influence that dramatically.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
From what I see, Platinum Pro is a tier I'd consider to be a "stopover" tier on my way to EXP.
I mean, that's essentially what it is. They took the old AA 3-tier status system, cut the middle tier in two, and gave Platinum Pro higher priority than Platinum and a few additional benefits. (I agree with others that dropping the 500 mile upgrade requirement is potentially significant, although I earned 500 mile upgrades far faster than I could use them as a Platinum [few upgradable trips in my specific case; most flights on 50-seaters, long haul, or on AS], so it was a moot point for me.) It is true that pmUS had a 75k tier. 75k fliers now certainly get more than they did last year, when they were just Platinum (and, correspondingly, 50k fliers and lifetime Platinums get bumped down in upgrade priority). Personally, though I'm no longer an AA elite and thus can't judge from personal experience, it seems fair enough.

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Agreed, especially since now PP jumps all the lifetime PLTs in the upgrade queue.
Although the new upgrade prioritization by last-12-month EQDs presumably does the same thing, giving "active" Platinums priority over those who don't annually requalify.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just requalified for Platinum. I currently have $6,140 EQD and 50,369 EQM. Right now I don't have much on AA booked, just a handful of short and cheap domestic flights. I don't have much planned on AA either save a couple one ways I need from SJU-RDU that should earn me about $700-800 EQD.

After looking at the Platinum Pro benefits, I don't think it's worth pushing to try and find the $1800 and 20,000 EQM I'll be short for Platinum Pro. The benefits as far as I'm concerned just aren't there. I currently have 25 stickers and I'm on the cusp of earning 4 more. Most of my flights are fairly short or are international so free upgrades doesn't mean much to me. The extra RDMs are infinitesimal. I either easily clear upgrades or miss them by a mile. As you don't get Group 2 boarding or One World Emerald I'll probably direct more travel towards United or Delta if they're cheaper and more convenient instead of pressing on for Plat Pro.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I just requalified for Platinum. I currently have $6,140 EQD and 50,369 EQM. Right now I don't have much on AA booked, just a handful of short and cheap domestic flights. I don't have much planned on AA either save a couple one ways I need from SJU-RDU that should earn me about $700-800 EQD.

After looking at the Platinum Pro benefits, I don't think it's worth pushing to try and find the $1800 and 20,000 EQM I'll be short for Platinum Pro. The benefits as far as I'm concerned just aren't there. I currently have 25 stickers and I'm on the cusp of earning 4 more. Most of my flights are fairly short or are international so free upgrades doesn't mean much to me. The extra RDMs are infinitesimal. I either easily clear upgrades or miss them by a mile. As you don't get Group 2 boarding or One World Emerald I'll probably direct more travel towards United or Delta if they're cheaper and more convenient instead of pressing on for Plat Pro.
Your logic makes sense.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
You make some good points. I'm going to end the year in a similar position, based on everything I currently have planned with AA/CX. I've been debating if it's worth pushing for ExPlat (because Plat Pro really isn't worthwhile), but even ExPlat isn't all that compelling. The SWUs and OWE Emerald would be nice, but I really only fly AA domestically anyway (and others internationally).

I'm currently thinking of going for UA Gold. With a couple MRs, it should be possible to earn Gold for around $1k (assuming the EQD waiver for cc spend).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Hertz
Platinum Pro is great so far

I made Platinum Pro last month. My upgrades went up considerably. I've been upgraded six out of six times since including LAX-OGG round trip. I fly out of IAH predominantly so that would have some impact but so far it's a materially better status level than Platinum in my limited experience.
Softwizard likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You were upgraded LAX-OGG...really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.