Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why should I take the $450 per year AA credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

I know that some here are very involved with mile churning credit cards. I don't have an interest in doing that. I am interested in why anyone else would be interested in the repeated offers that I get for a $450 annual fee for a high interest rate credit card. Aadmirals club membership? Not worth it. If I am so inclined (which I am ordinarily not, unless its a 2 hour + layover), that's a $50 fee. Checked bags? (included with status). Is there any other reason to bite on these repeated offers????
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
10k EQM
AAdmiral Club membership
Shiny black card.....
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread's title has been updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
9 visits to the admiral's club (4ish round trips) = annual fee covered versus buying AC day passes.

Earning miles for money spent (2x on AA purchases)

No foreign transaction fees

I mean, I could just start copy-pasting card benefits, but I think you probably actually know what they are already. Your post infers that you don't want the card. So don't get the card if you don't want it. For me it's my everyday use card, and I earn a lot of miles with it. Between my signup bonus and using it to pay for furnishing a new house, I earned enough miles to take 3 family members to Europe this year.

YMMV I guess. It's not for everyone, despite the fact that they shove the ads down everyone's throats.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
If you don't have OW Elite status, the card is not that bad of an offer. Hell I have the United Club card and the last time I flew on UA was like 2012.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I have the card and find the AC membership pays for itself (between a place to hide from the masses to the soups to the ability of the AC agents to get stuff done). Not to mention that when I got the card, they were offering a 100,000 mile signup bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by handspring088
I am interested in why anyone else would be interested in the repeated offers that I get for a $450 annual fee for a high interest rate credit card.
If you're worried about the interest rate, absolutely, this credit card is not for you. In fact, no credit card is for you. Unless you pay the balance in full every month (and thus pay no interest), credit cards are never a good idea. And if you are for whatever reason paying interest on a credit card, a low interest rate should trump all ancillary benefit considerations because the interest rates and thus the difference between interest rates in different cards are so high.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Using the referenced card, do you get to bring guests into the AC?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
For all intents and purposes you are getting a credit card that earns you AA miles and a separate Admirals Club membership rolled into one annual fee, so like the regular member you can bring two guests or immediate family.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Originally Posted by alphaod
For all intents and purposes you are getting a credit card that earns you AA miles and a separate Admirals Club membership rolled into one annual fee, so like the regular member you can bring two guests or immediate family.
Even better, up to 10 authorized users on the card get the same privileges, so each of your (highly trusted, I hope ) friends and family members effectively has their own AC membership (with a couple minor exceptions) at no additional cost.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I have it because my wife and I do a lot of international travel and the card comes with no currency exchange fees on foreign purchases. It essentially pays for itself after two trips, at most. That coupled with the added benefit of Admirals Club access (membership which costs close to the card fee of $450 anyways) when we travel domestically, both together, and now individually, makes it worth it for us. We pay our balances in full each month so the higher interest rate doesn't matter.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Really, it's a $355 premium over the $95 annual fee of the regular card I've had for over 7 years. Let's see, AC membership for me, AC access for my authorized users, global entry fee reimbursed, priority access as a non-elite, no foreign FX fees, etc

Interest rate doesn't concern me, I pay my balance in full each month. I only carry balances on 0% cards, paying them off before the intro period ends.

I fly every month, sometimes AA, sometimes UA out of LAX, I can get to the AC just as easily regardless of which airline I fly out of my main airports of LAX, BOS, ORD, DFW, and AUS.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Really, it's a $355 premium over the $95 annual fee of the regular card I've had for over 7 years. Let's see, AC membership for me, AC access for my authorized users, global entry fee reimbursed, priority access as a non-elite, no foreign FX fees, etc
Other than the club membership, the benefits sound exactly the same as the Barclay's card, which has less than half the annual fee. Plus you get the preferred miles at the halfway point, $20k.

I've never had a club membership, and have never been WOW'd at any domestic club on any airline. If I happen to be flying overseas and get access (through my status), I'll go. But I certainly don't see club access as worth the extra fee.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I certainly don't see club access as worth the extra fee.
You just don't like cheese cubes enough then. I get my money's worth.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
I don't have the card for a variety of reasons and it doesn't concern me if others do or don't. What does concern me is the incessant on-board pitches the flight attendants make for the card. I swear that they turn up the PA volume when making the pitch to a captive audience. (I realize it's a different card that the FAs pitch, but my point is the same).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.