Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

Had a new one back in November on DFW-LHR.

About 30 minutes before landing after the Bose headsets had been collected, the purser made a polite, non-accusatory announcement along the lines of "we are still missing one Bose headset. Please double check your seat and help us locate it."

Apparently it was not located, because the next announcement was soon to follow. It was still polite, but a bit more firm. She essentially said that the headset was still missing and that all items must be accounted for before pax can deplane (I forget the exact term she used in reference to inventory being complete before pax can deplane).

Another few minutes passed, and FAs were making continuous passes up and down the aisle. I had my own Bose headset and the FA asked to quickly take a glance at it to verify.

Finally, a much more stern announcement was made that essentially told us that we'd all be sitting on the tarmac until the missing headset was found. I'm guessing it was turned in because there were no more announcements and we deplaned without event at LHR.

Does AA have a SOP for when headsets go missing? This was the first time in quite a few international flights that I've ever witnessed it, and it was on a 77W so it's not like someone could take the headset and plug it into their iPhone.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by brewdog11

About 30 minutes before landing after the Bose headsets had been collected, the purser made a polite, non-accusatory announcement along the lines of "we are still missing one Bose headset. Please double check your seat and help us locate it."

Apparently it was not located, because the next announcement was soon to follow. It was still polite, but a bit more firm. She essentially said that the headset was still missing and that all items must be accounted for before pax can deplane (I forget the exact term she used in reference to inventory being complete before pax can deplane).

Another few minutes passed, and FAs were making continuous passes up and down the aisle. I had my own Bose headset and the FA asked to quickly take a glance at it to verify.

Finally, a much more stern announcement was made that essentially told us that we'd all be sitting on the tarmac until the missing headset was found. I'm guessing it was turned in because there were no more announcements and we deplaned without event at LHR.

Does AA have a SOP for when headsets go missing? This was the first time in quite a few international flights that I've ever witnessed it, and it was on a 77W so it's not like someone could take the headset and plug it into their iPhone.
They can hold you in the plane for as long as they want. After a flight NRT-LAX on SQ, customs officers came aboard saying that all passengers have to stay on the plane until a couple of pax were found. Thank goodness I was in F cause in I'm pretty sure that took a while.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I imagine there are customers who mistakenly believe that the headsets are for keeps. I have seen people take any and everything from headsets, silverware, glasses, life vests, blankets, etc.

As for what they can do... I don't think they can do anything. Can you imagine the backlash if it turned out a FA misplaced the headset instead of a passenger having taken it?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hiima
They can hold you in the plane for as long as they want. After a flight NRT-LAX on SQ, customs officers came aboard saying that all passengers have to stay on the plane until a couple of pax were found. Thank goodness I was in F cause in I'm pretty sure that took a while.
The flight was DFW-LHR; if it were (the reverse) LHR-DFW, wouldn't the 3 hour rule kick in? The headsets (if NEW) are probably no more than $300--so they are keeping a plane load of people hostage over such a small amount.
CBP is a different issue.
I have SONY NOISE CANCELLING headphones, cost $50--work as well as Bose.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brewdog11

I had a similar thing happen once too. Messages started out nice and kept getting more menacing as they couldn't find the missing headset. The last message (before they were found) was the police were going to board when we landed. I thought it was very heavy handed.

Based on what the Flight Attendants were saying, I think AA must have a very punitive process where the FA is charged for the lost set or something of that nature.

Oh and in the end the headset was found. I think it had fallen under a seat.

The flight attendants log an inventory sheet when they pass out the tablets and headsets so they shouldn't have to resort to this tactic if they properly filled it out and checked off the collected items.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
The interesting thing about this is that if it was a 77W, I don’t think those headsets have a battery and I don’t think the 3-prong plug would fit into anything but that AA receptacle. No reason to lift one. I prefer the Bose i20 in-ear product but I have never found a 3.5mm jack to use with the IFE in J. Maybe I’ve missed something.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AATrout
The interesting thing about this is that if it was a 77W, I don’t think those headsets have a battery and I don’t think the 3-prong plug would fit into anything but that AA receptacle. No reason to lift one. I prefer the Bose i20 in-ear product but I have never found a 3.5mm jack to use with the IFE in J. Maybe I’ve missed something.
I wouldn't assume someone was trying to lift a pair.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
If you plug it into one of the two sound-carrying holes you will hear one of the channels. If you get one of those F-shaped adapters you can listen to both channels. They used to be included in the free headphones 4-5 years ago and some higher-end headphones still include them.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:53 pm

The interesting thing about this is that if it was a 77W, I don’t think those headsets have a battery and I don’t think the 3-prong plug would fit into anything but that AA receptacle. No reason to lift one.
And yet ... 3-pin airline headphones -- any way to adapt for use with an iPod or anything else?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by alphaod
I imagine there are customers who mistakenly believe that the headsets are for keeps. I have seen people take any and everything from headsets, silverware, glasses, life vests, blankets, etc.

As for what they can do... I don't think they can do anything. Can you imagine the backlash if it turned out a FA misplaced the headset instead of a passenger having taken it?
Wait... the life vests aren't souvenirs?

Drat!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by fanger
If you plug it into one of the two sound-carrying holes you will hear one of the channels. If you get one of those F-shaped adapters you can listen to both channels. They used to be included in the free headphones 4-5 years ago and some higher-end headphones still include them.
The retail QC25s still come with an airline adapter.

QuietComfort® headphones airline adapter
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Originally Posted by nrr
Quote:

The flight was DFW-LHR; if it were (the reverse) LHR-DFW, wouldn't the 3 hour rule kick in? The headsets (if NEW) are probably no more than $300--so they are keeping a plane load of people hostage over such a small amount.
CBP is a different issue.
I have SONY NOISE CANCELLING headphones, cost $50--work as well as Bose.
Cmon now, let's be real.....
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by Sant
The retail QC25s still come with an airline adapter.

QuietComfort® headphones airline adapter
I have the earbud style and I don't recall them coming with the adapter but I may have lost it along the way...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
They can hold you in the plane for as long as they want.
[LAWYER HAT ON] No they can't. For starters, there's false imprisonment (similar to kidnapping, but without the transportation requirement). It's a felony in most jurisdictions. Interestingly, it's also a tort, meaning that you have the right to sue for damages in a civil action. If you're arriving on an international flight, that can complicate things a bit, since the airline may be able to get CBP to cooperate with excuses. But AA can't hold pax indefinitely over a $300 pair of headphones. [/LAWYER HAT OFF]

After a flight NRT-LAX on SQ, customs officers came aboard saying that all passengers have to stay on the plane until a couple of pax were found. Thank goodness I was in F cause in I'm pretty sure that took a while.
Missing people is very different from missing headphones, especially on an international arriving flight.

Originally Posted by neo_781
I had a similar thing happen once too. Messages started out nice and kept getting more menacing as they couldn't find the missing headset. The last message (before they were found) was the police were going to board when we landed. I thought it was very heavy handed.
No problem with this. If a crime has been committed or is suspected, the police are the appropriate ones to handle it, not the lead FA, not the Purser, not the flight crew and not some miscellaneous ground agent meeting the flight, any of whom might decide to hold the passengers hostage until the headphones are returned.

Based on what the Flight Attendants were saying, I think AA must have a very punitive process where the FA is charged for the lost set or something of that nature.
Wouldn't be surprised, but they still can't hold you there.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by fanger
I have the earbud style and I don't recall them coming with the adapter but I may have lost it along the way...
I think you are right. I had one of those 2-pin adapters with the older QC15s but when I gave them to my nephew I didn’t keep it. Apparently the AA 15/25s need 3 pins, which include 1 for power. The i20s in-ear don’t have the old 15 (or new) 2-pin adapter [minus 1 for power from the AA proprietary version]. The 2-pin stereo adapter is pretty cheap ($7.95) so that’s not so bad. I may get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.