Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

3-pin airline headphones -- any way to adapt for use with an iPod or anything else?

3-pin airline headphones -- any way to adapt for use with an iPod or anything else?

Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you for reading, first of all.

In recent months I've come by a pair of 3-pin Bose airline headphones which I'd love to be able to use in a single-pin jack. Even though I am hardly technical, I would assume that this wouldn't be possible without some kind of adaptor (if one exists). As such, I just wanted to ask if anyone has been in the same situation before and found a way of using a pair of 3-pin headphones outside of an aircraft setting?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It sounds like you have headphones that deliberately use nn-standard plugs so they won't be removed from an aircraft and won't work if they are. I'm not sure you'll find an adapter for them. I believe they've usually got pins for L+R+power so you'll require more than just a simple adapter to make them work.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Xyzzy, thanks for this. I was ignorant about the need for a separate power source, so that is certainly food for thought. Thank you in any case. I suspect may be uphill from here.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
By the time you have done the adaptation/conversion you would be better off just buying a headset.

Bose is great for noise cancellation, at the same price point you can get many better audio quality units.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Many thanks, tentseller... this is slowly dawning on me.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
By the time you have done the adaptation/conversion you would be better off just buying a headset.

Bose is great for noise cancellation, at the same price point you can get many better audio quality units.
or something that the Chinese never thought of making and hopefully will now and sell on Ebay for $5

there are 1000s of last generation Airline headsets that could be re-used with an adapter....
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Scoob72
In recent months I've come by a pair of 3-pin Bose airline headphones which I'd love to be able to use in a single-pin jack.
Define "come by."
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
or something that the Chinese never thought of making and hopefully will now and sell on Ebay for $5

there are 1000s of last generation Airline headsets that could be re-used with an adapter....
Just wondering though, who would pay any money for substandard, bulky headsets?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by stargold
Define "come by."
In this context it means "fell off a truck."
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:14 am

Now I understand why AA has changed the headset gathering in F and biz prior to landing on the 77W flights.
hhdl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.