Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Preferred Seats
(Not Main Cabin Extra)

Link to page on aa.com

Link Link to Main Cabin Extra thread on FT

Standard legroom in a more favorable location

In the Main Cabin on American Airlines flights, Preferred seats are available to purchase when you book, during check-in or anytime in between.

Preferred seats are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage elite status members**

• oneworld Sapphire, oneworld Emerald and oneworld Ruby members

• Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

**Includes Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
Print Wikipost

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I would never take a MCE seat for free as I agree those are sold for a premium. But I would not hesitate to take a regular aisle seat that is closer to the front of the plane. I think that those non-MCE seats that are just more desirable should be released to whoever wants them at T-24.
While I agree with the first part, I don't with the second part. I think Preferred seats should be held back until before boarding, when the GA can assign them to those that are checked in but with no seat assignments.

I do a lot of same-day-change and stand-by flying (client meetings end early/cancel dinner plans, etc), and it's a definite plus to not be stuck in a middle seat in the back because all the good seats were assigned at T-24.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Platinum for now, but expiring at the end of February

My Platinum status will expire 2/29.

If I purchase tickets now for travel in late March, and pick preferred seats, will the seat assignments "stick" (barring any equipment changes, perhaps)?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
There is a good chance they will stay as-is. But any schedule/equipment changes will likely bump you out of them. Nothing is guaranteed though.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:42 am

I'm not nearly as frequent of a flyer as I was before — I've gone from 1 or 2 transcons every month to 1 or 2 per year. I used to be platinum on US, pre-merger.

Even with no status, I was used to logging on at the 24 hour mark for check-in, and switching to an exit row seat for free.

I just had my first American flight since US flights ended this past fall, and when I went to check in at the 24 hour mark, I found that changing to an exit row still required paying extra for MCE.

Am I correct that without status, it is now impossible to get an exit row seat for free, unless a GA assigns you to one?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by dcipjr
I'm not nearly as frequent of a flyer as I was before — I've gone from 1 or 2 transcons every month to 1 or 2 per year. I used to be platinum on US, pre-merger.

Even with no status, I was used to logging on at the 24 hour mark for check-in, and switching to an exit row seat for free.

I just had my first American flight since US flights ended this past fall, and when I went to check in at the 24 hour mark, I found that changing to an exit row still required paying extra for MCE.

Am I correct that without status, it is now impossible to get an exit row seat for free, unless a GA assigns you to one?
That's correct. American, just like UA and DL, places exit rows in the MCE/E+/EC category. Without status, you can't snag those seats without paying extra.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:32 am

Preferred seat width?

AA 104 in the Summer of 2016, looking specifically at rows 19-20. Since those are 3x3x3, are they wider seats like MCE, but less legroom?

Flight is showing as a Boeing 777-200...this is the JFK-LHR flight.

Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Preferred seats are standard seats (unless they're exit or bulkhead row seats, in which case they're usually narrower).

I'm sorry, but I'm not really going to look up AA. 104 to determine what aircraft is used.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taseas
AA 104 in the Summer of 2016, looking specifically at rows 19-20. Since those are 3x3x3, are they wider seats like MCE, but less legroom?

Flight is showing as a Boeing 777-200...this is the JFK-LHR flight.
I don't believe that there's any definitive evidence that the 3-3-3 MCE or, by extension, the preferred seats immediately aft of MCE (like rows 19-20), are any wider than the 3-4-3 main cabin seats.

On the 77W, the 3-3-3 MCE seats are, in fact, wider than the 3-4-3 main cabin seats, but I don't believe anyone has measured the MCE/preferred 3-3-3 77D seats to establish their width. And seatguru is notoriously unreliable, so I would take any measurements it publishes with a grain of salt.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't believe that there's any definitive evidence that the 3-3-3 MCE or, by extension, the preferred seats immediately aft of MCE (like rows 19-20), are any wider than the 3-4-3 main cabin seats.

On the 77W, the 3-3-3 MCE seats are, in fact, wider than the 3-4-3 main cabin seats, but I don't believe anyone has measured the MCE/preferred 3-3-3 77D seats to establish their width. And seatguru is notoriously unreliable, so I would take any measurements it publishes with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I was hoping that the preferred seats in the 3x3x3 config were a little wider, but without the extra legroom of MCE.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
This might be better suited in a different thread, but this was the best one I could find.

I booked a RT to Hawaii last February for a flight this January (less than 2 weeks from now). In mid November I received an update saying that my flight times had changed... it was only by a few minutes, so no big deal there. I logged into my reservation at the beginning of December to verify everything was as it should be and it was. We were still in the seats I had selected in February. I just logged in today again to look at something else and see that my seat assignments for both AA legs have been changed... not only have they been changed, but now my family has been split up and I wasn't even notified.

We were originally in 8B,8C,8D on both flights (trying to gain access to the little cut out in the first row of the bulkhead so we could stretch our feet out a bit). Now we are in 8A,8B,20F on PHX-LAX and 8E,8F,19A on LIH-PHX. What could have possibly happened in the last two weeks to boot us from our seats? Why would they split us up and not find 3 seats together (20D-F & 19A-C are empty)?

I don't care so much about riding in the middle of the plane on a short hop like PHX-LAX but I do care where I sit on a freaking 6 hour flight!! It's this kind of nonsense that makes me sad to be AA Gold.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by skitch23
This might be better suited in a different thread, but this was the best one I could find.

I booked a RT to Hawaii last February for a flight this January (less than 2 weeks from now). In mid November I received an update saying that my flight times had changed... it was only by a few minutes, so no big deal there. I logged into my reservation at the beginning of December to verify everything was as it should be and it was. We were still in the seats I had selected in February. I just logged in today again to look at something else and see that my seat assignments for both AA legs have been changed... not only have they been changed, but now my family has been split up and I wasn't even notified.

We were originally in 8B,8C,8D on both flights (trying to gain access to the little cut out in the first row of the bulkhead so we could stretch our feet out a bit). Now we are in 8A,8B,20F on PHX-LAX and 8E,8F,19A on LIH-PHX. What could have possibly happened in the last two weeks to boot us from our seats? Why would they split us up and not find 3 seats together (20D-F & 19A-C are empty)?

I don't care so much about riding in the middle of the plane on a short hop like PHX-LAX but I do care where I sit on a freaking 6 hour flight!! It's this kind of nonsense that makes me sad to be AA Gold.
It seems anytime AA does an equipment change, even if of the same type, they scramble the seats. Just curious if everyone was on the same PNR or was one separate? Programs should be able to try to keep everyone together, but if on different PNRs, that would be tough. But as mentioned many times, AA does not guarantee seats, so be thankful you are getting to the destination (yeah, doesn't sound convincing when I say it either).

One trick I've heard others do is to set a seat alert on FT for your seat and then if it does come available you get notified. Not sure if that would work if they reassign someone to your seat before they do the sweep. I would imagine a real cluster **** if AA tried to send notices for any/all changes made, regardless how comforting that might be.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It seems anytime AA does an equipment change, even if of the same type, they scramble the seats. Just curious if everyone was on the same PNR or was one separate? Programs should be able to try to keep everyone together, but if on different PNRs, that would be tough. But as mentioned many times, AA does not guarantee seats, so be thankful you are getting to the destination (yeah, doesn't sound convincing when I say it either).

One trick I've heard others do is to set a seat alert on FT for your seat and then if it does come available you get notified. Not sure if that would work if they reassign someone to your seat before they do the sweep. I would imagine a real cluster **** if AA tried to send notices for any/all changes made, regardless how comforting that might be.
Yep, everyone was on the same PNR which baffles me. I just spoke with a CSR and she couldn't even see that 19A-C were open on her end, so I just changed it on my own. I sent an email to AA just to see if they have any valid reasoning behind the switch but I doubt they'll send me anything other than a standard cookie cutter response. I'm going to set up a seat alert and see if I have any luck moving closer to the front.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Preferred seating free on international flights for non-elites?

The other day I gave my sister and her friend a pair of SWUs to upgrade their outbound flight to Ecuador. When the upgrades cleared, I went online to get them seats to ensure they were close together (no pairs left). I then checked their return, and seeing the front cabin pretty much full, decided not to request upgrades. However, I also saw that I could get them the first bulkhead row/pair of seats on their 757 for $0. I selected those of seats and no payment was requested.

My sister has not status, and though I used the aa.com site from my laptop so the cookies ID'd me, I did not sign into my account. So wondering if the system was tricked up by my ExecPlat status/cookies, or some other glitch occured that made these preferred seats free instead of the normal non-elite charge.

Any clues what may have happened? Or are these seats free for everyone on international flights, which I doubt. (The fare class was high, but not full Y).
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
Preferred seat auto-assigned at check-in for free?

So, as a non-elite I seem to have been assigned a "preferred seat" at check-in without payment and while other "regular" seats are available. Is this a normal thing?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A preferred seat is not necessarily a MCE seat. Chances there were only preferred seats left so you lucked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.