Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Preferred Seats
(Not Main Cabin Extra)

Link to page on aa.com

Link Link to Main Cabin Extra thread on FT

Standard legroom in a more favorable location

In the Main Cabin on American Airlines flights, Preferred seats are available to purchase when you book, during check-in or anytime in between.

Preferred seats are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage elite status members**

• oneworld Sapphire, oneworld Emerald and oneworld Ruby members

• Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

**Includes Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm AA Gold, new this year. I have what I am coming to believe is a jinxed itinerary that is a BA ticket and has 2 legs that are US flight numbers on AA metal.

One of the problems with the ticket is that they keep moving our seats. This is the second time that they have moved our seats to seats that are 15 rows apart. Last time I fixed it online without a problem. This time I can no longer select seats any preferred seats (all are listed as unavailable, not even that I can pay a fee to purchase). MCE are all blocked as well, can't even pay for them. Flight is not full, and about a week ago the majority of these seats were empty (and the flight is still 2 months away).

I tried calling thinking that someone should be able to fix it, but all they said (after hanging up on me the first time) is that there are seats but the system says that I'm not eligible and they have no idea why, but that is the way it is. They could try to select seats for me, but will need to charge me $25 to do it. I was clearly eligible a couple of weeks ago because the seats we are in are preferred (even if they aren't the ones I selected).

Any ideas of why this is happening or how to change it? I'd like to have at least the option of selecting MCE if there are any left when we check in and I wonder what else the system says I'm not eligible for that I just haven't figured out yet.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 19, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by amybd
I'm AA Gold, new this year. I have what I am coming to believe is a jinxed itinerary that is a BA ticket and has 2 legs that are US flight numbers on AA metal.

One of the problems with the ticket is that they keep moving our seats. This is the second time that they have moved our seats to seats that are 15 rows apart. Last time I fixed it online without a problem. This time I can no longer select seats any preferred seats (all are listed as unavailable, not even that I can pay a fee to purchase). MCE are all blocked as well, can't even pay for them. Flight is not full, and about a week ago the majority of these seats were empty (and the flight is still 2 months away).

I tried calling thinking that someone should be able to fix it, but all they said (after hanging up on me the first time) is that there are seats but the system says that I'm not eligible and they have no idea why, but that is the way it is. They could try to select seats for me, but will need to charge me $25 to do it. I was clearly eligible a couple of weeks ago because the seats we are in are preferred (even if they aren't the ones I selected).

Any ideas of why this is happening or how to change it? I'd like to have at least the option of selecting MCE if there are any left when we check in and I wonder what else the system says I'm not eligible for that I just haven't figured out yet.
Not sure why the system is doing what you're seeing, but I'm sure IT is working out the kinks of merging the systems. Mixing airlines has some intrinsic issues. You might try using the US website to see if you're able to change your seats there instead of AA.com.

As for the agents, understand being Gold only gets you closer to the front of the phone queues for a regular agent. Many of them are not familiar with the program rules and may not know if a charge is waived or not. If you find someone that is unwilling/unable to look into what is happening, escalate to a supervisor. Or you might try calling WebServices to see if they can figure out why the system is saying you are ineligible for MCE seats.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:49 am

Not sure about the seat change issue, but MCE is only complimentary at check-in for AA Gold.

AAdvantage Gold

50% off Main Cabin Extra Seats (complimentary at check-in)
Complimentary Preferred Seats
Old May 19, 2015, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The only way you'll probably get these seats is by calling - you can try web services / tech support or regular customer services and hope you get someone more willing to understand the issue. You should be able to get seats (though not in MCE without paying, unless you're fortunate enough some are stll available at T-24).

I'm guessing the codeshare is getting in the way. Both airlines have recommended avoiding codeshares on each other's metal, and this kind of thing reinforces their recommendations.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
I'm an EXP with an all AA intl itinerary on which I cannot select MCE seats today. The seats simply appear grayed out. Maybe there is a bug today?
Old May 19, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

That makes me feel better! They have been doing some weird things to this reservation, and did work on the ticket yesterday so I thought that might have caused it. Maybe that means it will fix itself?

I also can't access the reservation online with US since yesterday, so can't do anything there at the moment.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
I am a million miler. Can I select exit row seats?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
As FTwatcher said: last year was the end for AA Gold getting MCE seats in advance (unless one pays). You can get Preferred Seats. Don't know why they keep changing your seats.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FTwatcher
Not sure about the seat change issue, but MCE is only complimentary at check-in for AA Gold.

AAdvantage Gold

50% off Main Cabin Extra Seats (complimentary at check-in)
Complimentary Preferred Seats
Is there an exception if the PNR includes an international segment? On my flight to GPS, I was allowed to book exit row seats for the DFW-MIA flights (Booking Code N).
Old May 20, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Paso Fino
I am a million miler. Can I select exit row seats?
Yes, but if they're Main Cabin Extra (and I believe all exit seats are now sold as MCE) you have to pay 50% of the list price if reserving more than 24 hours in advance.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
So, why am I able to reserve MCE seats for free weeks ahead of time as a lowly Gold then?
Old May 21, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Not all exit row seats are considered MCE. Twice in the last two months, I've selected exit row seating in advance for all segments of flights historically operated by US Airways (via Phoenix), and I'm only an AA 1M Gold member.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
So, why am I able to reserve MCE seats for free weeks ahead of time as a lowly Gold then?
Is it part of an international itinerary? If I had booked a roundtrip flight only to MIA, reserving the same seats would have required me to pay extra.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Sant
Is it part of an international itinerary? If I had booked a roundtrip flight only to MIA, reserving the same seats would have required me to pay extra.
Nope. PHX-ORD-PHX. I selected exit row seats on both legs for me and my fiance. I shouldn't be able to do that. These tix are actually award seats booked into T with Avios, but that shouldn't matter. I don't get it.

The seat maps clearly show them as MCE.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Nope. PHX-ORD-PHX. I selected exit row seats on both legs for me and my fiance. I shouldn't be able to do that. These tix are actually award seats booked into T with Avios, but that shouldn't matter. I don't get it.

The seat maps clearly show them as MCE.
I seem to recall reading about T inventory not being eligible to purchase MCE at all because of taxes or something.

Also I've noticed when booked in T with Avios the fare basis on the ticket starts with P and the system gives Priority AAccess to non-status flyers. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.