Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Preferred Seats
(Not Main Cabin Extra)

Link to page on aa.com

Link Link to Main Cabin Extra thread on FT

Standard legroom in a more favorable location

In the Main Cabin on American Airlines flights, Preferred seats are available to purchase when you book, during check-in or anytime in between.

Preferred seats are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage elite status members**

• oneworld Sapphire, oneworld Emerald and oneworld Ruby members

• Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket

**Includes Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation.
Print Wikipost

American Airlines Preferred seats (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I checked in today for trip < 24 hours away. Im AA Gold. It won't let me select MCE w/o paying $24 dollars. Any idea why I can't change my seat online?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by texdoc
I checked in today for trip < 24 hours away. Im AA Gold. It won't let me select MCE w/o paying $24 dollars. Any idea why I can't change my seat online?
Several other Golds have reported this issue and it happened to me this past weekend when checking in for my return flight:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eat-query.html

Tweet @AmericanAir and see if they can change your seat, call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377, or see an airport agent.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA - Gold
Complimentary preferred seats-$$?

I've been a USAir DM flyer for a while, bouncing back and forth between silver and gold status. I'm currently gold status on AA (hopefully platinum by year end). I have my first trip coming up on the new AA reservation system. 98% of my travel is business, my company makes my reservations for me. Right off the bat I have awful seats (row 31 when I usually have row 5). I got in the website to change my seats and they want to charge me, don't I get complimentary preferred seats as a gold member?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For Gold, you get 50% off Main Cabin Extra seats. I believe they become free when you are within 24 hours of the flight. This was a major downgrade in the program for AA Gold members who came over from the US Airways side.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes you get complimentary access to the "preferred seats." I'm also gold (until sunday!) and have selected these seats on all my flights coming up free of charge
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:42 pm

I'm logged into my account, go to change seats to "preferred seats". Lists two prices: $27 & $24 (window / middle). After changing my seats the website indicates I owe money.

Does it have anything to do with my fare class? Going out on W, returning on Q.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Nikko01876
I'm logged into my account, go to change seats to "preferred seats". Lists two prices: $27 & $24 (window / middle). After changing my seats the website indicates I owe money.

Does it have anything to do with my fare class? Going out on W, returning on Q.
When is your flight, tomorrow? As a GLD, you can select preferred seats, or MCE as they are called in the AA system within 24hrs of flight. Prior to that, the seats will cost you half of what they will charge a non-status flyer.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Fare class shouldn't matter here. If you're selecting "preferred" seats, then they should be complimentary for you as an AA Gold member. (Not doubting what you're seeing online, but I guess just really wanted to double check...when you select seats, the "preferred" seats that should be complimentary are the blue seats that have the green bar at the top. The seats with the orange bar at the top are Main Cabin Extra, which are the ones you have to pay for, but get a 50% discount.)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/seats.j...RL&title=seats

Perhaps call up AA reservations and ask them to take a look for you as well?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by arollins
When is your flight, tomorrow? As a GLD, you can select preferred seats, or MCE as they are called in the AA system within 24hrs of flight. Prior to that, the seats will cost you half of what they will charge a non-status flyer.
Not quite right - Main Cabin Extra is a separate arrangement from Preferred Seats. OP seems to be selecting MCE seats, which do incur a charge until T-24. Preferred seats would be complimentary, however.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:02 pm

My flight is Monday (booked yesterday morning). The seat map shows a blue seat with green bar and one or two asterisk (indicating $27 or $23).

Weird!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:43 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nikko01876
My flight is Monday (booked yesterday morning). The seat map shows a blue seat with green bar and one or two asterisk (indicating $27 or $23).

Weird!
(Hmmm...definitely weird. Don't think I've heard of this "glitch" before. Sometimes these "glitches" happen if hit a new status tier after you booked your flight and the system doesn't recognize your new shiny new status - but that's not the case here as you just booked yesterday. Hopefully we're not seeing gremlins as a result of the system cutover last weekend.

May be worth calling AA to have them see if 1) your AAdvantage number is attached correctly to your reservation and 2) if they're their systems also want to charge you if they select preferred seats for you.)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Any idea if the same applies to AS MVP? AS MVP get 50% off of MCE, so I'm wondering if the system just treats them like AA GLD (meaning can assign MCE at OLCI complimentary)?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Any idea if the same applies to AS MVP? AS MVP get 50% off of MCE, so I'm wondering if the system just treats them like AA GLD (meaning can assign MCE at OLCI complimentary)?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by reeg2
Not quite right - Main Cabin Extra is a separate arrangement from Preferred Seats. OP seems to be selecting MCE seats, which do incur a charge until T-24. Preferred seats would be complimentary, however.
YEs, I now realize my error, keep thinking US mode.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
For Gold, you get 50% off Main Cabin Extra seats. I believe they become free when you are within 24 hours of the flight. This was a major downgrade in the program for AA Gold members who came over from the US Airways side.
How is this a "major downgrade" for anyone that came from the US side? US did not have an MCE equivalent??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.