Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Flying LGA-ORD on Monday (and not Monday AM which is usually very busy) plenty of seats in FC on my flight and still no UPG.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Flying LGA-ORD on Monday (and not Monday AM which is usually very busy) plenty of seats in FC on my flight and still no UPG.
oh no
Old May 13, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JonNYC
oh no
LOL
Old May 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
In addition to the previously mentioned fix which opened the floodgates to in-advance upgrade processing that had been blocked by some kid of technical problem, effective May 1st AA implemented a new process to further aid in this endeavor-- in this case processing more upgrades day of departure but -before- at-the-gate processing.
I am well aware this is anecdotal at best, but I just cleared for a flt ~5.5 hours from now that was J2 before I cleared (now J1). I fly this route often (weekly) and I am familiar with the upgrade patterns, and when inventory is 3-4 J seats or below, I'm used to seeing these clear at the gate...so it does appear that the change JonNYC mentioned is yielding benefits.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottmlew
I am well aware this is anecdotal at best, but I just cleared for a flt ~5.5 hours from now that was J2 before I cleared (now J1). I fly this route often (weekly) and I am familiar with the upgrade patterns, and when inventory is 3-4 J seats or below, I'm used to seeing these clear at the gate...so it does appear that the change JonNYC mentioned is yielding benefits.
They certainly seem to be set up for/expecting a noticeable amount of positive feedback on this-- both from frustrated pax and from beleaguered gate agents-- and that's the exact window (say 4-6 hours or so) that I'd-- *speculatively*-- expect to see these happening in, so, I tend to assume that you were, in fact, a beneficiary of this new procedure as you figured might be the case, and, that we'll be seeing quite a bit more reporting from the field on this ^
Old May 14, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
They do.
Glad to hear it ^

Originally Posted by scottmlew
Glad to hear it ^
Old May 14, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Upgrades for my two flights during the upcoming week both cleared at T-100. My feedback is therefore definitely positive.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Grail
Upgrades for my two flights during the upcoming week both cleared at T-100. My feedback is therefore definitely positive.
Any in-advance upgrade is a good upgrade but just to add a little clarity:

- in mid/late January AA fixed the larger problem that had been _severely_ inhibiting upgrades from clearing at/near upgrade windows and causing far, far too many upgrade to come down to at-the-gate-clearing. That problem existed from roughly the time of the first post in this thread (a bit before, obviously.)

- The May 1st AAdv upgrade enhancement applies to day-of-departure (but before-gate time) upgrades.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
- The May 1st AAdv upgrade enhancement applies to day-of-departure (but before-gate time) upgrades.

Ah ha! Thanks for the clarification. I guess I should feel fortunate that the May 1st enhancement didn't apply to me this week.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Lowly Gold and just got upgraded on both legs of a DCA-LGA flight. Pretty surprising. The first flight I was #3 on the list and cleared as we were boarding. On the flight from LGA I cleared around 5-6 hours in advance. It does happen!
Old May 14, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
T-100!

Ord/CLT Monday pm & clt/bdl Wednesday pm both cleared at 100 hour mark and got the email. Usually 3 days out on ord/clt in general.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Shocked to get upgraded for both segments of my Sat trip early Tuesday morning.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just don't see any improvement and waiting until post check-in every single flight I buy in Y except 1 this year has just become depressing. Same story this week...AA opens C inventory roughly 36 hours out while not processing stickers.

Maybe the sunday return on memorial day weekend will have better luck. J7 D7 I5 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
Old May 25, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
In a first for me, when flying DFW-LAS my travelling partner and I were fetched from row 20-something and handed F BPs moments before the door closed. Apparently there were mis-connects that opened up 3 seats up front.

Thanks AA!
Old May 25, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Got cleared the other day for my friday morning flight ORD-DFW. it was nice to clear early for a change. It's been a few months since that happened and on that one my connection was late so I missed it, grr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.