Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Admirals Club lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:39 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
EWR is the worst. Not even close.
I am just glad there is a club at all. Compared to the rest of that rat hole terminal it is at least a place you can sit down.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I think on the whole, from an amenity perspective, we can largely say that the LAA clubs are "nicer," since many included showers. Additionally, at the time of the merger, yes, AA had the larger club network (however the LUS that many of us know had more than 30+ clubs at its peak [I believe 33, many in smaller cities which was nice, such as CLE, IND, and ROC and SYR, which are cities that likely will never have airline clubs ever again] in the early 2000s). When you take a look at the original US club network, it makes the small city clubs in places like BUF, GSO, and BDL make more sense.

However, if we really explore how we define "niceness," a lot of that depends on style preferences and the general age and date of the last renovation of many of the clubs. For example, at RDU, both airlines had clubs of similar sizes, but the LAA one was kept likely because of the presence of showers, which I appreciate, despite the very young age of the LUS club and, in my opinion, the much better appearance and style (a preference I have for the new LUS club styling even pre- and post-HP merger).

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Apr 23, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
PHX high A was remodeled just prior to the merger, but that club has been there for a long time. It opened in the mid-90s (97 or 98) as a Phoenix Club, then an America West Club, then a US Club, and now an AC. I actually distinctly remember its opening which coincided with the opening of the new HP club in SNA, which is when HP changed the name of its lounges to "America West Club."
Upon further thinking, I think I need to edit my post to make sure I get the history right (despite the fact that none of you probably care, lol). I believe the renaming actually occurred in 1999, when the LAS club opened. The SNA club opened in the early-mid 90s, and actually operated throughout its existence as a "Phoenix Club," despite its location being in Orange County.

The final HP Club opened in late 2000 in CMH in the space that had just been vacated by the TW Ambassadors Club. Random question; does AA still operated any ACs that were former TW Ambassadors Clubs? Was SJU (although now closed) formerly a TW club? If not, did TW have its own club there as it was a hub at the time of the "merger?" What about STL? And IAD (also now closed)?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
In physical plant:
BDL
GSO

They're still both US Airways clubs from 1991-- so was BUF until it closed last year. The nostalgia is nice and the GSO staff is good, but these clubs need help desperately.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
What about STL?
Yes. However, this Admirals Club moved to a temporary location when a tornado struck STL in 2011. AA then repaired and renovated the original Admirals Club location. When the original location reopened, the TWA logo on the glass had been removed. I can't find the post on it at the moment, but I remember reading that it was given away during the remodel of the club.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
In physical plant:
BDL
GSO

They're still both US Airways clubs from 1991-- so was BUF until it closed last year. The nostalgia is nice and the GSO staff is good, but these clubs need help desperately.
True. At least CLT B, PIT, and DCA C (all clubs from this style era) have received new furniture and carpeting. I thought BDL had new furniture from the immediate post-HP merger era.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
PHL A8 is pretty bad. It's a small room in the basement of the terminal with minimal lighting and a tiny bar. Pretty rude bartenders too.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
PHL A8 is pretty bad. It's a small room in the basement of the terminal with minimal lighting and a tiny bar. Pretty rude bartenders too.
This was formerly US' premiere lounge, its "Envoy Lounge." Long ago and far away.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fastflyer
This was formerly US' premiere lounge, its "Envoy Lounge." Long ago and far away.
Wasn't the A16 lounge the Envoy lounge? This lounge was the former BA lounge and reopened as an AC in the early throws of the merger. That said, the only thing it has going for it is proximity to the high A-East gates...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer78
Wasn't the A16 lounge the Envoy lounge? This lounge was the former BA lounge and reopened as an AC in the early throws of the merger. That said, the only thing it has going for it is proximity to the high A-East gates...
Youre both right. The first Envoy lounge was in the space in A East. When A West opened in 2003, there was a US club in the right half, and the left half of the lounge was the new Envoy lounge (you can see the remnants of this with the small little swinging door and usually unmanned agent desk toward the left right when you enter). Then the facilities merged and became one big Envoy lounge a few years later, prior to being converted to a standard US club in 2011.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I must agree. Despite the size and age of other clubs, this one is a dump. Dark, tiny, crowded, and a pathetic Alaska-style bar, in what is supposed to be an international lounge for J customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.