Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Are there any kind of patterns that people know of with QR availability? Doesn't look like they release close-in. Is there a day of the week they often load inventory?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Are there any kind of patterns that people know of with QR availability? Doesn't look like they release close-in. Is there a day of the week they often load inventory?
Actually I just booked a trip to MLE yesterday on QR in J that opened up close-in. I can't offer any definitive general statement either way though.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past, to/from USA award seats only tended to be available for Mon-Thu departures, not Fri-Sun departures. Dunno if that's continued lately or not.

Many people find it easiest to find availability 11 months out (as soon as AA allows you to), though there've been a few times of late when then it was not available on many flights in one direction.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
AA says it can't change my AAward in Oct from x-DOH-AUH-x to x-DOH-MCT-AUH-x because my DOH-AUH leg is not showing as cancelled.
Surely it does it matter if it isn't?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
AA says it can't change my AAward in Oct from x-DOH-AUH-x to x-DOH-MCT-AUH-x because my DOH-AUH leg is not showing as cancelled.
It can change the booking subject to award availability, however

if the routing rules of governing carrier do not permit the routing, it may be that AA will charge for 2 awards or
if there is no award availability it will not do it
if the carrier use changes to one where free fee changes do not apply, the $150 fee may apply

If QR does have to cancel the flight, then at that poiint should have a lot more flexibility in fee/fare change issues
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I have seen a couple seats on flights that I'm interested in from LAX-DOH. I've tried calling it in 4 times now and every time they say it's coming back as only waitlisted and not confirmed. If I try JFK for the same dates it can confirm without issue. I know there's such thing as phantom award availability, but these flights have shown availability for over a week yet aren't bookable. I checked the loading and the flight is 75% empty in J. Has anyone encountered this issue?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:30 am

A couple of months ago I booked a one way from MAN - DOH in J. At the time there was no availability from either LHR or BHX.

Just this week out of interest I had a look and saw a decent amount of availability from LHR. I wasn't aware on what the policies were regarding changing award bookings (especially where there's a change of airport). So I called the AA London office and they changed me to LHR and I just had to pay the difference in tax which was only about £20.

Agent was friendly and it was a very easy process.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I have seen a couple seats on flights that I'm interested in from LAX-DOH. I've tried calling it in 4 times now and every time they say it's coming back as only waitlisted and not confirmed. If I try JFK for the same dates it can confirm without issue. I know there's such thing as phantom award availability, but these flights have shown availability for over a week yet aren't bookable. I checked the loading and the flight is 75% empty in J. Has anyone encountered this issue?
I've reported this at least twice up thread. It's frustrating.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ben_W
A couple of months ago I booked a one way from MAN - DOH in J. At the time there was no availability from either LHR or BHX.

Just this week out of interest I had a look and saw a decent amount of availability from LHR. I wasn't aware on what the policies were regarding changing award bookings (especially where there's a change of airport). So I called the AA London office and they changed me to LHR and I just had to pay the difference in tax which was only about £20.

Agent was friendly and it was a very easy process.
If you are not AA EXP, then the agent has forgotten to charge you the $150 fee to change Origin. Count yourself lucky only need to pay the tax difference.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It can change the booking subject to award availability, however

if the routing rules of governing carrier do not permit the routing, it may be that AA will charge for 2 awards or
if there is no award availability it will not do it
if the carrier use changes to one where free fee changes do not apply, the $150 fee may apply

If QR does have to cancel the flight, then at that poiint should have a lot more flexibility in fee/fare change issues
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Happy
If you are not AA EXP, then the agent has forgotten to charge you the $150 fee to change Origin. Count yourself lucky only need to pay the tax difference.
Agree here too.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has one agent or several told you this? If only one, HUACA. In my experience in the past 10 days, agents have tried to explain difficulties in booking in many creative ways that were not accurate.
I was told the same thing at first. LAX-DOH wasn't working for the 4 dates I tried. But JFK-DOH worked on dates around the same time, including the same date that one of my LAX-DOH wouldn't work on.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:59 pm

First time redeeming QR on AAdvantage

Scored a QR J flight 2 months out. Wasnt sure the availability pattern of QR awards so I am just happy I got it on the dates I want.

I just ticket it and they told me it takes 24-48 hrs to be official, and I will be notified by email. Is that the norm?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
I just ticket it and they told me it takes 24-48 hrs to be official, and I will be notified by email. Is that the norm?
Yes and consistent with my experience as late as this week.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Yes and consistent with my experience as late as this week.
Great, thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
First time redeeming QR on AAdvantage

Scored a QR J flight 2 months out. Wasnt sure the availability pattern of QR awards so I am just happy I got it on the dates I want.

What route? That's about when I'm looking as well. Second half of Aug. Nothing out of LAX works. Multiple days come back with error. Tons of availability out of JFK but I'd rather not add a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.