Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So for this coming Xmas, Mrs. IADCAFlyer is flying separately from the rest of us as we bought our tickets under a US Airways companion certificate and by the time I got around to booking her ticket, the fare on the routing had gone up substantially.

She's a gold which means she doesn't get access to the MCE seats until 24 hours out. But I did see that on a DCA-LAX 738 is configured such that 16B is blocked out (aircraft staffing limits).

Anyone flown in Row 16 and found this advantageous?
Keep in mind, that there could always be an equipment change to a 160 pax 737.

But, yes row 16 and 17 are quite comfortable due to the middle seat being blocked with a small table. A lot of should and elbow room.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
Keep in mind, that there could always be an equipment change to a 160 pax 737.

But, yes row 16 and 17 are quite comfortable due to the middle seat being blocked with a small table. A lot of should and elbow room.
You're going to want to monitor this very closely because there is a high probability that the configuration will change multiple times between now and your flight. If it goes to the 160 seat 737 (which there are far more of than the 150 seat version) then rows 16 and 17 are terrible. If this happens, you want to be in row 15. Everything else on the 737 is rather unpleasant.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Exit Row 15 or Bulkhead Row 7?
2 adults traveling together, one quite tall. 2 sectors with connection in MIA. connection time not an issue, but leg room is prime consideration. Reading here is seems that row 15 is the best bet. It's over Christmas holidays, so chances are the flights will be full. On an award, so no chance of moving up to J/F.
Thank you
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by studio76
Exit Row 15 or Bulkhead Row 7?
2 adults traveling together, one quite tall. 2 sectors with connection in MIA. connection time not an issue, but leg room is prime consideration. Reading here is seems that row 15 is the best bet. It's over Christmas holidays, so chances are the flights will be full. On an award, so no chance of moving up to J/F.
Thank you
15 for sure.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:10 pm

What would recommendations be for a three hour flight with two adults and a 4 month old? Infant will have his own seat. We'll be on the 737 that does not have the middle seats blocked (so MCE from 7-9 and then in the exit rows). Currently in Row 25; would it be worth it to buy MCE in Rows 9 or 8 (all seats still available)? Also, near the front of the plane all seats in Rows 13 and 16 are available (preferred fee for Row 16).
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by habsben
What would recommendations be for a three hour flight with two adults and a 4 month old? Infant will have his own seat. We'll be on the 737 that does not have the middle seats blocked (so MCE from 7-9 and then in the exit rows). Currently in Row 25; would it be worth it to buy MCE in Rows 9 or 8 (all seats still available)? Also, near the front of the plane all seats in Rows 13 and 16 are available (preferred fee for Row 16).
8 or 9 would be preferable if you're tall.

13 and 16 are just regular economy rows, and not worth paying for. (Actually, 13 is worse than a regular economy row, because the window seat doesn't recline.)
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EP
It's been quite a while since this thread has any news. Have my first 738 flight coming up. Guess they are using these on some flights to CLT.

Are there "old" versions still being flown? One post said they were doing 4-5 every night so I'm not sure what the latest is.

Seat map for my flight does start MCE in row 7. So which is best...7,8 or 15?

Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by la2clt
It's been quite a while since this thread has any news. Have my first 738 flight coming up. Guess they are using these on some flights to CLT.

Are there "old" versions still being flown? One post said they were doing 4-5 every night so I'm not sure what the latest is.

Seat map for my flight does start MCE in row 7. So which is best...7,8 or 15?

Thank you.
Row 15 is best...most legroom plus underseat storage. Row 7 also has lots of legroom but no underseat storage. Row 8 has less legroom than 7 or 15.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EP
LAA 738 / 737-800 Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra / Exit Seats? (consolidated)

Thank you Austin787.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Thanks. And there is on demand, movie content?
Please refer to the Wikipost in the following thread:
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TWA884
Please refer to the Wikipost in the following thread:
Thanks. And that's where the AVOD related posts have gone.

/Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The window exits have half-length armrests because of the position of the hatches, which can be a bit uncomfortable, but it's worth putting up with because of the generous legroom.

While not an MCE seat on the 160-seat 737s, I feel it's worth mentioning that 10A is to be avoided because it's lacking both extra legroom and a window.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
(Actually, 13 is worse than a regular economy row, because the window seat doesn't recline.)
I thought so too but I was able to get 13A to move slightly tonight. I'm not sure if the seat actually has some recline or if it's just because I applied a lot of pressure, though it seemed to stay that way. I could definitely feel the seat cushion sliding forward like on other seats when you recline.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Reading through this thread, loads of good advice, taking my first AA flight next week with Mrs Openroad, only available seats available/not blocked at the moment are 9 e/f and 15 a/b.

Is it worth paying the extra $58 each for the leg room and guarantee seats together?

Any real difference between 9 and 15 and is 9 missing a window? Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is row 15 that much better than row 14? they're both exit row seats but, after a brief perusal of the thread, row 15 seems more highly recommended.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chenalex
Is row 15 that much better than row 14?
Some of the seats in row 14 do not fully recline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.