FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1340221-aa-offers-ua-elite-status-match-challenge-sporadically-offered.html)

footastic Jan 2, 2014 10:57 pm

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Anyone know what the 2014 policy is for match / challenge. Wife is delta diamond hoping to get her EXP.

bdemaria Jan 3, 2014 7:00 am

<redacted>

I believe Footastic seeks information about changing programs from DL to AA - which is a very different thing.

To footastic: the UA EXP offer was unusual and seemingly discontinued. The best option is to contact AA and discuss the options. There are some reports (noted above) of recent EXP challenges.

Tracer_SEA Jan 6, 2014 4:40 pm

Did anyone call today?

I'm planning to call tomorrow and will post what I am told...

fahrradman Jan 6, 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 22045437)
They've only had the public status match for 1Ks in place for 20 months so there may not be a large pool of 1Ks that are asking for a second go around. You might check with chinatraderjmr and see if he was successful in getting a second match. He also got the initial 1K to EXP status match but did not retain it, and in November posted he's coming back to AA. He did not post the outcome of his second request in public.

He's still out there on the UA forum so it looks like the answer was no. Back in the days of true status matches (not challenges) they used to state it was a once per lifetime offer. I believe when I challenged to EXP, they stated it was once per 5 years. Seriously, why should an airline, after offering top tier status to someone who does follow through and bring their business over offer a second chance?

flyerdude13 Jan 7, 2014 1:08 pm

I need your guys advice. I am in the middle of my challenge. i have to get 25K points by the end of the month. i flew Mxp-Lhr-HKG-LHR on BA in business in December. I did not board my LHR-MXP leg. I am still waiting for my HKG-LHR leg to credit. Will it? i just requested it manually on the AA website? The reason i need to know is whether i should go ahead and book another ticket to make the mileage i need by the end of the month. I will be going from Fra to HKG, but i was thinking of hoping over to AMS and taking advantage of BA's AMS-HKG really cheap fare, but only one leg will be before the end of the month. So, that will be enough to get me the points, if my other points post. If they wont post, then i am not sure it is worth the effort.

Grmaht Jan 8, 2014 6:05 am

What's the email address to request a status match for AA?

Tracer_SEA Jan 8, 2014 7:14 am

You call the AAdvantage # and they send you a "Documentation Request" email that lays out the data they need from you.

I called yesterday, got the email right away and responded 20 mins later. Waiting to hear back. Expecting it will take a few days...

The agent didn't have any info on what kind of matches they were doing now that the program re-opened for 2014.

TGGDEL Jan 8, 2014 10:27 am

For the EXPLT, Flyerdude88's offer says 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points in 3 months.
Does that mean that the 10,000 EQP you get from $30k spend on the CC would count too? Making it only 15,000 flying in 3 months? I'm comfortable enough doing 100k in 1 year, but uncertain I could do 25k in 3 months as work trips are often last min.
What do you guys think?

coolcoil Jan 8, 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by fahrradman (Post 22099938)
Seriously, why should an airline, after offering top tier status to someone who does follow through and bring their business over offer a second chance?

Why wouldn't they? If I got a second chance to snag a good customer from a competitor in my industry, I would take it in a heartbeat. I don't think the airline risks much - if the customer doesn't fly much, all it cost them is a few free upgrades (which would have gone to somebody anyway) and a few bucks to mail out the welcome package.

kauppias Jan 8, 2014 11:57 am

Too bad they only offer these challenges to US competitor elites :(

I tried to get the challenge since I flew a high EQP/EQM ratio but failed, even offered to switch all *A flights to AA they keep reiderating that AA does NOT offer EXP challenges to anyone as it would be unfair :D

Indeed ^

Tracer_SEA Jan 8, 2014 5:57 pm

Well, that was quick. Heard back today. Apparently they are offering matches for UA 1Ks but not for UA Platinums like myself

My option is to do AA Gold or Platinum challenge, $140 or $200 respectively.

SuperFlyBoy Jan 8, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 22114389)
Well, that was quick. Heard back today. Apparently they are offering matches for UA 1Ks but not for UA Platinums like myself

Direct matches or chAAlenges?

TGGDEL Jan 9, 2014 9:26 am

I just called in, got the email and replied. On the phone the agent said they were only doing challenges. Will report back when I get the email from AA confirming whether they'll match or not. 1k - EXPLT

reeg2 Jan 9, 2014 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 22111322)
For the EXPLT, Flyerdude88's offer says 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points in 3 months.
Does that mean that the 10,000 EQP you get from $30k spend on the CC would count too? Making it only 15,000 flying in 3 months? I'm comfortable enough doing 100k in 1 year, but uncertain I could do 25k in 3 months as work trips are often last min.
What do you guys think?

MasterCard offer gives you EQM's - not EQP's.

Tracer_SEA Jan 9, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 22115682)
Direct matches or chAAlenges?

I asked for a match. In their match program, you get the EXP status right away (without SWUs though) and have 3 months to fly 25k EQPs. If you earn that many EQPs, then you get SWUs and keep the status for the rest of the year. You do not have to pay a fee for this.

They are only offering the above option to UA 1Ks and GSes. Since I'm a UA Platinum, all they would offer me is the Gold or Plat challenge. In that program you have to fly 5k or 10k EQPs in 3 months. You do not get the status right away and you have to pay $140 or $200 for the privilege of participating. If you earn the EQPs, you get the status for the rest of this year.