FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1340221-aa-offers-ua-elite-status-match-challenge-sporadically-offered.html)

footastic Jan 2, 2014 10:57 pm

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Anyone know what the 2014 policy is for match / challenge. Wife is delta diamond hoping to get her EXP.

bdemaria Jan 3, 2014 7:00 am

<redacted>

I believe Footastic seeks information about changing programs from DL to AA - which is a very different thing.

To footastic: the UA EXP offer was unusual and seemingly discontinued. The best option is to contact AA and discuss the options. There are some reports (noted above) of recent EXP challenges.

Tracer_SEA Jan 6, 2014 4:40 pm

Did anyone call today?

I'm planning to call tomorrow and will post what I am told...

fahrradman Jan 6, 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 22045437)
They've only had the public status match for 1Ks in place for 20 months so there may not be a large pool of 1Ks that are asking for a second go around. You might check with chinatraderjmr and see if he was successful in getting a second match. He also got the initial 1K to EXP status match but did not retain it, and in November posted he's coming back to AA. He did not post the outcome of his second request in public.

He's still out there on the UA forum so it looks like the answer was no. Back in the days of true status matches (not challenges) they used to state it was a once per lifetime offer. I believe when I challenged to EXP, they stated it was once per 5 years. Seriously, why should an airline, after offering top tier status to someone who does follow through and bring their business over offer a second chance?

flyerdude13 Jan 7, 2014 1:08 pm

I need your guys advice. I am in the middle of my challenge. i have to get 25K points by the end of the month. i flew Mxp-Lhr-HKG-LHR on BA in business in December. I did not board my LHR-MXP leg. I am still waiting for my HKG-LHR leg to credit. Will it? i just requested it manually on the AA website? The reason i need to know is whether i should go ahead and book another ticket to make the mileage i need by the end of the month. I will be going from Fra to HKG, but i was thinking of hoping over to AMS and taking advantage of BA's AMS-HKG really cheap fare, but only one leg will be before the end of the month. So, that will be enough to get me the points, if my other points post. If they wont post, then i am not sure it is worth the effort.

Grmaht Jan 8, 2014 6:05 am

What's the email address to request a status match for AA?

Tracer_SEA Jan 8, 2014 7:14 am

You call the AAdvantage # and they send you a "Documentation Request" email that lays out the data they need from you.

I called yesterday, got the email right away and responded 20 mins later. Waiting to hear back. Expecting it will take a few days...

The agent didn't have any info on what kind of matches they were doing now that the program re-opened for 2014.

TGGDEL Jan 8, 2014 10:27 am

For the EXPLT, Flyerdude88's offer says 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points in 3 months.
Does that mean that the 10,000 EQP you get from $30k spend on the CC would count too? Making it only 15,000 flying in 3 months? I'm comfortable enough doing 100k in 1 year, but uncertain I could do 25k in 3 months as work trips are often last min.
What do you guys think?

coolcoil Jan 8, 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by fahrradman (Post 22099938)
Seriously, why should an airline, after offering top tier status to someone who does follow through and bring their business over offer a second chance?

Why wouldn't they? If I got a second chance to snag a good customer from a competitor in my industry, I would take it in a heartbeat. I don't think the airline risks much - if the customer doesn't fly much, all it cost them is a few free upgrades (which would have gone to somebody anyway) and a few bucks to mail out the welcome package.

kauppias Jan 8, 2014 11:57 am

Too bad they only offer these challenges to US competitor elites :(

I tried to get the challenge since I flew a high EQP/EQM ratio but failed, even offered to switch all *A flights to AA they keep reiderating that AA does NOT offer EXP challenges to anyone as it would be unfair :D

Indeed ^

Tracer_SEA Jan 8, 2014 5:57 pm

Well, that was quick. Heard back today. Apparently they are offering matches for UA 1Ks but not for UA Platinums like myself

My option is to do AA Gold or Platinum challenge, $140 or $200 respectively.

SuperFlyBoy Jan 8, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 22114389)
Well, that was quick. Heard back today. Apparently they are offering matches for UA 1Ks but not for UA Platinums like myself

Direct matches or chAAlenges?

TGGDEL Jan 9, 2014 9:26 am

I just called in, got the email and replied. On the phone the agent said they were only doing challenges. Will report back when I get the email from AA confirming whether they'll match or not. 1k - EXPLT

reeg2 Jan 9, 2014 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 22111322)
For the EXPLT, Flyerdude88's offer says 25,000 Elite Qualifying Points in 3 months.
Does that mean that the 10,000 EQP you get from $30k spend on the CC would count too? Making it only 15,000 flying in 3 months? I'm comfortable enough doing 100k in 1 year, but uncertain I could do 25k in 3 months as work trips are often last min.
What do you guys think?

MasterCard offer gives you EQM's - not EQP's.

Tracer_SEA Jan 9, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 22115682)
Direct matches or chAAlenges?

I asked for a match. In their match program, you get the EXP status right away (without SWUs though) and have 3 months to fly 25k EQPs. If you earn that many EQPs, then you get SWUs and keep the status for the rest of the year. You do not have to pay a fee for this.

They are only offering the above option to UA 1Ks and GSes. Since I'm a UA Platinum, all they would offer me is the Gold or Plat challenge. In that program you have to fly 5k or 10k EQPs in 3 months. You do not get the status right away and you have to pay $140 or $200 for the privilege of participating. If you earn the EQPs, you get the status for the rest of this year.

CMH500 Jan 9, 2014 11:04 am

I am looking for a match/challenge for 1K based on segments. I can do 25 EQS, but the points would be tough.

flyingmusicianlax Jan 9, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by CMH500 (Post 22118984)
I am looking for a match/challenge for 1K based on segments. I can do 25 EQS, but the points would be tough.

Doesn't exist at this time. I would advise you make time for a mileage run on BA Premium Economy (1.5 EQP/mile) or look for a cheap business fare. SJU - HNL is usually pretty low.

ml262 Jan 12, 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 22118824)
I asked for a match. In their match program, you get the EXP status right away (without SWUs though) and have 3 months to fly 25k EQPs. If you earn that many EQPs, then you get SWUs and keep the status for the rest of the year. You do not have to pay a fee for this.

They are only offering the above option to UA 1Ks and GSes. Since I'm a UA Platinum, all they would offer me is the Gold or Plat challenge. In that program you have to fly 5k or 10k EQPs in 3 months. You do not get the status right away and you have to pay $140 or $200 for the privilege of participating. If you earn the EQPs, you get the status for the rest of this year.

Is it possible to fly all 25 EQP's on a non-AA airline eg. Cathay? If my 1K expires on 1/31/14 will they still accept that? I made Prem Plat in 14.

kauppias Jan 12, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ml262 (Post 22136898)
Is it possible to fly all 25 EQP's on a non-AA airline eg. Cathay? If my 1K expires on 1/31/14 will they still accept that? I made Prem Plat in 14.

I beleive only Joint venture partners are included in the challanges ie AA, BA,IB,AY etc

flyingmusicianlax Jan 12, 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 22138899)
I beleive only Joint venture partners are included in the challanges ie AA, BA,IB,AY etc

Correct. Cheapest? AA biz to the Carribean or BA PY to the near east. Fastest? QF PY to Down Under with a same day turn. (Also super comfortable ;))

DP81 Jan 15, 2014 11:45 am

Has anyone who got the AA status match request e-mail been asked to provide your year-end statement from United? United hasn't posted my 12/31/2013 statement yet and I'd like to get my match going soon since I flights coming up. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

AdamK Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

I called to get the challenge and received the same "end of year statement" request. I emailed my card, July-Sept summary, a printout of the "recent activity section" from United.com and included in the email a note that UA hadn't made end-of-year summaries available, and told them my EOY balances.

Got the status within an hour. Still waiting for an email. Thanks, AA!

Tracer_SEA Jan 16, 2014 8:38 am

You are 1K matched to EXP?

mbwmbw Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

DL Diamond/ UA 1K

Hi all,

I'm a DL Diamond and UA 1K. I'm wondering if you know of any AA status matches? Looking to add AA to my network.

Regards,

Mbwmbw

scnzzz Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm

No. There was a targeted grab at UA GS and 1Ks last spring. That's done. At best you can sign up for a Platinum challenge.

Superguy Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz (Post 22173919)
No. There was a targeted grab at UA GS and 1Ks last spring. That's done. At best you can sign up for a Platinum challenge.

There's word floating around on the UA board that AA's trying to poach again - giving up to Platinum with 20 e500s currently. No word on matches to EXP though.

N965VJ Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Is FCM spooking the OP? :eek::p

tom911 Jan 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mbwmbw (Post 22173391)
I'm wondering if you know of any AA status matches? Looking to add AA to my network.

Check the last few pages of this thread:
AA offers UA elite status matches / challenges (consolidated)

TheBOSman Jan 17, 2014 6:05 pm

DL Diamond/ UA 1K

WSBS. I hope I do not have to explain the S ;)

Zomba Jan 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 22174126)
There's word floating around on the UA board that AA's trying to poach again - giving up to Platinum with 20 e500s currently. No word on matches to EXP though.

I was given this offer last week. 2nd time in the last 8 mos., actually. I'm curious as to what triggers the offer, as it haven't purchased any F/J AA tickets and don't have extravagant spending on the CC. Perhaps it was buying CX Y+?

mbwmbw Jan 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you all for your help.

BoeingBoy Jan 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Since you're US gold, you will automatically become an AAdvantage member in the next 1-2 years because of the AA/US merger and whatever miles you have in your US account will become AAdvantage miles. In the meantime, you could increase your flying on US to up your status in preparation for merging with AAdvantage if you want to. AA/US also have started a fly either airline credit to either airline program so you could fly on AA and credit to US. Through March 2nd, I believe, there is a bonus promo - fly one, credit the other and get a 50% bonus on miles. I think the bonus miles don't count for status, only redemptions, but 50% more miles is something to consider for future use.

Jim

mrydoc Jan 22, 2014 3:06 pm

I just called AA today and requested a status match 1K to EXP. I have never requested a match before and have no current status with AA. I was told no more status matches outright, and was offered a challenge (standard 25K in 3 months, and documentation of 2014 1K status). The agent was quite pleasant, but the hold time was 30 minutes, reinforcing my belief that chasing status is a time zapper.

I also received the email for the platinum promo (HVFP1), which I decided to to instead of the EXP challenge. I have only paid F trips coming up and I'm not sure I would make 25K minimum for EXP with the flying volume I have in the next 3 months.

tom911 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

AA offers challenges and status matches utilizing either miles or points, and occasionally offers the flyer their option of either. When you refer to 25K, which are you referring to? If it's points and you're flying paid F, it's a much quicker road than miles. It might be confusing to other UA flyers exactly how you're getting your EXP status. Can you clarify (or just edit the post)?

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD

honghong322 Jan 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Has anyone tried to backdate a challenge? I've flown ~ 22k points since January 1st and I forgot to do the challenge. I'm probably not going to be flying anymore this year, maybe a couple of flights here and there..

ryan182 Jan 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 22045253)
I have a question regarding the process of requesting a second match, if such a thing is possible, back in 2012 when AA made the EXP match for 1Ks I went for it only because it included the eVIPs but apparently I did so a slight bit too late and didn't get the eVIPs so when they did get around to responding to my request I replied back explaining I no longer wanted the status match.

The reason being that I had several paid-C flights in the coming months and figured UA F was slightly better than AA J. They responded, and to their credit they did so rather quickly and in a personal non-copy/paste email format (can you tell I've been flying UA for awhile?) that they were not going to rescind my status match despite my request and telling them I would not be flying AA they just said enjoy the status. I did end up taking one flight, SEA-JFK and it was rather enjoyable, but that was all. Apparently I was given a soft-landing to Platinum, though I didn't fly any AA flights this year, and was sent an email explaining I was going to lose all status which is completely understandable.

So fast forward to late 2013 and now it seems UA decided to completely crap the bed and is on a mission to ensure that anyone who pays premium fares never flies UA ever again, and I'm more than happy to oblige them in their quest. The doubling of miles for awards on *A was the final straw. Leading me to my question, as I have understood it usually status matches are 1 time events but I'd prefer to get a second go at this next month and make the switch over to AA/OW. Again I will drop from the "soft landing" Plat to GM and have requalified for 1K so would have that documentation to send in. I will have at least 1, probably 2, paid F intl flights in Q1 if that helps. Has anyone heard of AA allowing someone to get a second status match, especially this soon?
Thanks

Thought I'd follow up on this, I was able to get the EXP challenge and I have to say I am very impressed with how fast they responded via email. I called and explained my situation, they sent me an email asking for the documentation which I provided and within 18 hours I had the response granting me the 3mo EXP with the 25K EQP challenge to keep EXP for the year. It might have helped in that I did wait to do this until after I had booked the paid F international trip to GRU and their email requesting the documentation asked for the date and PNR of next AA trip which is that trip. Kind of excited to try out the new F on the 77W, from the pictures I've seen it looks better than UAs F suite on the 777.

Tracer_SEA Jan 30, 2014 7:35 am

Originally Posted by honghong322 (Post 22241280)
Has anyone tried to backdate a challenge? I've flown ~ 22k points since January 1st and I forgot to do the challenge. I'm probably not going to be flying anymore this year, maybe a couple of flights here and there..

I've heard of them backdating a few weeks -- I'd call them up ASAP to see if they'll give you the whole month of January

scnzzz Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 22249317)
Thought I'd follow up on this, I was able to get the EXP challenge and I have to say I am very impressed with how fast they responded via email. I called and explained my situation, they sent me an email asking for the documentation which I provided and within 18 hours I had the response granting me the 3mo EXP with the 25K EQP challenge to keep EXP for the year. It might have helped in that I did wait to do this until after I had booked the paid F international trip to GRU and their email requesting the documentation asked for the date and PNR of next AA trip which is that trip. Kind of excited to try out the new F on the 77W, from the pictures I've seen it looks better than UAs F suite on the 777.

My bold. Miles better IMO. Enjoy!

missbehave Feb 3, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi guys, total newb to the boards, but I wanted to add my .02 to the conversation. I called in and spoke to AA and they offered me the EXP challenge from UA 1K. I know it's not new news, but I know it's been a bit hit or miss whether they'll allow it, so I thought I'd throw one in for the "yes" column. The lady was really friendly, and she said something that sparked my interest...she said that they "haven't started doing the match with Delta yet." The way she said it made it sound like there might be a DM - EXP challenge coming up at some point.

I've got a MR of 10698 EXP booked so far (included the PNR on my doc request, hopefully that helps it go through quickly), now I just need to find another ~14000 exp or so! Time to go back to the MR forum and keep scouring.

tom911 Feb 3, 2014 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by missbehave (Post 22280286)
I've got a MR of 10698 EXP booked so far (included the PNR on my doc request, hopefully that helps it go through quickly), now I just need to find another ~14000 exp or so!

So if your challenge based on miles and not points?

Welcome to FlyerTalk :)