FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1340221-aa-offers-ua-elite-status-match-challenge-sporadically-offered.html)

dah123321 Aug 5, 2014 9:12 am

I am UA 1K and AA just awarded me the EXP trial

ryan182 Aug 5, 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears (Post 23313183)
Any chance this works?
I'm considering coming over to the dAArkside.

Earned UA Plat last year, and so far this year have 77k EQM + 7.5k spend.
I have 3 TATL planned for remainder of year (monthly Sep/Oct/Nov) + a couple domestics (anticipate 30k EQM + 3k spend).

Any chance AA gives a challenge for ExecPlat?
The flights are happening one way or another, and if I have to go UA, then I'll be 1K with GPUs and will challenge/match ExecPlat next year.
(I read back a few pages in the thread, but didn't come across anything like this).
Trying to get some info/opinion before I 'just call and ask'.

pretty sure that the match/trail for EXP was only for 1K/GS, I would guess you get offered a challenge to plat or gold. Might make sense to do the TATL on a *A partner (if this is paid C/F) or UA to get to 1K, then first thing next year do the switch over, assuming you will have 25EQP (note the EQPs are different than EQM) in the first 3 months.

IrishTex Aug 6, 2014 11:01 am

Making the move here - by circumstance more than anything else - as my job forced a move from Houston to Dallas. I'm 1K and just send in the paperwork for the EXP challenge - waiting for the acceptance.

I had a somewhat tangential question for folks and this seemed to be where most joint AA/UA experience resides.

So... is it me, or does the UA website and App offer more functionality than their AA counterparts ? Things like "Expert Mode" and generally more options when booking flights. Also seems the user experience is more fluid on UA - but this may be my level of familiarity...

if there is a better forum to discuss than this I apologise, but would appreciate being redirected in such a case.

Thanks !

goingbananas Aug 6, 2014 11:31 am

Originally Posted by IrishTex (Post 23319950)
Making the move here - by circumstance more than anything else - as my job forced a move from Houston to Dallas. I'm 1K and just send in the paperwork for the EXP challenge - waiting for the acceptance.

I had a somewhat tangential question for folks and this seemed to be where most joint AA/UA experience resides.

So... is it me, or does the UA website and App offer more functionality than their AA counterparts ? Things like "Expert Mode" and generally more options when booking flights. Also seems the user experience is more fluid on UA - but this may be my level of familiarity...

if there is a better forum to discuss than this I apologise, but would appreciate being redirected in such a case.

Thanks !

UA apps and what they offer (functionally) is better than AA...its seems to be the biggest weakness AA has compared to UA these days. I have been living in IAH area for the last 1.5 years flying AA (UA on exception basis), and it has been a much better flying/travel experience than UA. DFW based for you will be even better.

baclubflyer Aug 10, 2014 1:36 am

As a CX Sapphire and BA Sapphire, how likely is it for AA to grant an EXP challenge? Or is it strictly available to UA 1K members only? Much rather do an AA EXP challenge (unpublished) rather than the US Airways Chairman's Preferred challenge (published)

JonNYC Aug 10, 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by baclubflyer (Post 23338698)
As a CX Sapphire and BA Sapphire, how likely is it for AA to grant an EXP challenge? Or is it strictly available to UA 1K members only? Much rather do an AA EXP challenge (unpublished) rather than the US Airways Chairman's Preferred challenge (published)

Historically they never consider other oneworld status for matching (or challenge/matching) purposes. Only US-flagged competitors, so I'd say you'd be the first.

That's assuming, of course, that they don't find your case compelling on other grounds, but the mid-level status' on BA and CX will definitely not be compelling to gain entry to an AA EP Challenge.

baclubflyer Aug 10, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 23339651)
Historically they never consider other oneworld status for matching (or challenge/matching) purposes. Only US-flagged competitors, so I'd say you'd be the first.

That's assuming, of course, that they don't find your case compelling on other grounds, but the mid-level status' on BA and CX will definitely not be compelling to gain entry to an AA EP Challenge.

Thanks - I guess I will try call them (or email?)

Will report back on findings!

baclubflyer Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am

OK absolutely no luck - they seem to be super rigid on requiring you to be UA 1K...

Alternative was that the "Marketing" department would invite you to to EXP but was not given a number or criteria. Instead was told someone "monitors" your flight bookings and makes a determination based on that...

robderosa Aug 11, 2014 11:05 am

So I'm UA Platinum, what are the chances I can get a status challenge with AA Platinum or Gold up front? I'm seeing conflicted responses regarding this on this and other threads.

tom911 Aug 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by robderosa (Post 23345428)
So I'm UA Platinum, what are the chances I can get a status challenge with AA Platinum or Gold up front?

They might offer you Gold status while doing an AA Platinum challenge. There's been reports of that happening in the past. I would not expect the AA Platinum match up front unless you have a corporate travel person that can arrange that.

brewdog11 Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by robderosa (Post 23345428)
So I'm UA Platinum, what are the chances I can get a status challenge with AA Platinum or Gold up front? I'm seeing conflicted responses regarding this on this and other threads.

Let the good folks at AAdvantage CS know that you're Plat on UA and they should make the challenge a little easier for you by giving you instant AAdvantage Gold Status while you work towards Platinum.

I seriously doubt that AA would give you PLT outright for the challenge, but then again I never would have guessed that AA would be giving EXP challenges with up-front EXP status out like they are now. It never hurts to ask.

Welcome to the dAArk side!

jimmyz1 Aug 11, 2014 7:47 pm

I called for a challenge/match today and they sent me a pretty standard email asking for a scanned copy of my 1K card and a 2013 end year statement from UA.
The language states:

Once we receive this documentation, we will review your details for eligibility. If eligible, your challenge will begin on the day we accept your documentation, roughly 10 business days after you send in your summary and card. So please don't send us your documentation until you are ready to make the switch! Once your documentation is received and accepted, we will contact you. We are eager to earn your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard your next American Airlines flight.
Is this what others have received? how firm is that 10 day statement?

Au4882 Aug 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jimmyz1 (Post 23348181)
I called for a challenge/match today and they sent me a pretty standard email asking for a scanned copy of my 1K card and a 2013 end year statement from UA.
The language states:

I received the same thing last week (Friday morning) and no response yet. I've had three bookings on hold what would satisfy the challenge, but until I have the challenge confirmed, in writing, I'm not pulling the trigger. Here's to hoping the fares don't increase in the meantime...

ryan182 Aug 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by jimmyz1 (Post 23348181)
The language states:

I got mine in 48hrs, but I asked for it to be done quicker due to a flight I was booking. if you have flights that make a difference put that in the email reply with the docs and ask, it can't hurt and might help (for all I know they were just less busy and that's why mine was processed faster).

coolcoil Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 23348819)
I got mine in 48hrs, but I asked for it to be done quicker due to a flight I was booking. if you have flights that make a difference put that in the email reply with the docs and ask, it can't hurt and might help (for all I know they were just less busy and that's why mine was processed faster).

I got a quick response when I told them I had a flight coming very soon. I sent in my request on a Friday afternoon with a comment stating that I had a flight on AA the following Tuesday. I had my acceptance on Monday morning.