Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
UGG AA IT - Not enough 500 mile upgrades

So I bought a ticket from HTS-MSP return last month while I was still EXP, of course the system auto requested upgrades for me as they were complimentary at the time, since I have fallen to PLT.

So I fly out on Monday and AA upgraded me, probably 48 before the flight, no problem checking in. Yesterday they emailed me "You've been upgraded", so I go to check in this morning and I am getting a message "You do not have enough 500 mile upgrades, you need to buy more" Well I did not request a upgrade you automatically put me on the list since I was EXP at the time Will I have any problem getting my BP tomorrow at MSP ? I already have a FC seat since the system auto-upgraded me.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
So I bought a ticket from HTS-MSP return last month while I was still EXP, of course the system auto requested upgrades for me as they were complimentary at the time, since I have fallen to PLT.

So I fly out on Monday and AA upgraded me, probably 48 before the flight, no problem checking in. Yesterday they emailed me "You've been upgraded", so I go to check in this morning and I am getting a message "You do not have enough 500 mile upgrades, you need to buy more" Well I did not request a upgrade you automatically put me on the list since I was EXP at the time Will I have any problem getting my BP tomorrow at MSP ? I already have a FC seat since the system auto-upgraded me.
You won't get a FC BP unless you have enough 500-milers. It doesn't matter what status you had when you made the request, but rather when you fly. Unless you want to get stuck in an unfavorable seat in Y, you need to buy the 500 milers or call in to have the UG backed out and pick from the seats left in Y.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
You won't get a FC BP unless you have enough 500-milers. It doesn't matter what status you had when you made the request, but rather when you fly. Unless you want to get stuck in an unfavorable seat in Y, you need to buy the 500 milers or call in to have the UG backed out and pick from the seats left in Y.
Sort of BS if you ask me, they put me on the list I did not ask to be put on it.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:03 am

There are probably just as many, if not more, fallen EXPs that would happily cough up for the UG.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Sort of BS if you ask me, they put me on the list I did not ask to be put on it.
The system automatically listed you for upgrade when you were EXP, and expecting the system to check your predicted status at the future time of flight and remove the request automatically is setting expectations unreasonably.

You could have called at any time after booking and had the UG request removed if you knew you would fall to PLAT, but since you did not do that you either: need to buy stickers, call now and get the UG backed out and get an available coach seat assigned, or get whatever remaining seat is available when you check in at the airport and decline the upgrade due to insufficient stickers. (Yes, you will need to see an agent to get a BP if you don't buy stickers and don't call to get the UG cancelled.)
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Well, actually you did as part of the benefits of being EXP. What they didn't do was take you off a list that you didn't request to be taken off of.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
These 500 mile UG stickers are getting pretty useless. I haven't had one upgraded in ages and I'm Plat. I currently have 22 sitting in my account.

Any tricks to getting these processed?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snardy
These 500 mile UG stickers are getting pretty useless. I haven't had one upgraded in ages and I'm Plat. I currently have 22 sitting in my account.

Any tricks to getting these processed?
As always, pick the right routes/dates/times. For example, I'm 75% over the last 6 months on TPA-ORD-TPA as Plat.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by snardy
22? That's nothing. I just logged in to check, I have 43. I did use some once to upgrade a traveling companion.

They gave me a bunch when my account converted from US to AA, and I don't think I've been below 25 since--probably higher.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
I thought the EXP UDU came out of the same buckets as the SWU upgrades. So if you saw a flight that said SWU was available and you were within the 100 hour window, you should have your EXP upgrade clear.

I'm not seeing that play out recently and was wondering if something had changed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by aztimm
22? That's nothing. I just logged in to check, I have 43.
43? That's nothing. I have 58. Earning a bunch on TPAC J flights and occasionally (1 in 4? not really counting) getting upgraded on domestic.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EP
Different inventories.

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I thought the EXP UDU came out of the same buckets as the SWU upgrades. So if you saw a flight that said SWU was available and you were within the 100 hour window, you should have your EXP upgrade clear.

I'm not seeing that play out recently and was wondering if something had changed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Different inventories.
Thanks. Is there a good way check the UDU inventory aside from EF?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by bosman
43? That's nothing. I have 58. Earning a bunch on TPAC J flights and occasionally (1 in 4? not really counting) getting upgraded on domestic.
58 That's nothing I have 62
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Thanks. Is there a good way check the UDU inventory aside from EF?
There is no way to check the inventory, including with EF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.