Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Wedge: The good, the bad, the ugly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Seat Wedge: The good, the bad, the ugly

Greetings,

Did anyone read the small article about a "seat wedge" in the USA Today dated 10/10/03? If so, what are your impressions.

For those who haven't heard about it, it is a small wedge shaped device that can be inserted into the seat in front of you to prevent it from reclining at all. It sounds like it can be used on all seats, but the small picture showing it's use was that of a coach seat with the tray table in it. The article also said that the airlines don't have a policy on this. I couldn't find it, but they also mentioned this website and that some folks loved it.

Well, my personal opinion is that this device should be outlawed. What right does someone have to restrict my recline. Don't get me wrong, yes it does suck when someone reclines into your space, but guess what? You knew this could happen when you bought your seat. And sure as hell, if someone put this wedge into the seat in front of them to prevent recline, they would be mighty pissed off if someone did it to them. This will cause big problems in my opinion.

Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I didn't see the article but it was on an email I received from a frequent flyer newsletter. I figured that if someone did use it, the person in front of them trying to recline would think that their seat was broken. Imagine, then, that they report their broken seat to the FA and then the FA, knowing of this device, comes to the person who inserted the wedge and loudly asks him/her to please remove it. Not worth the embarrassment.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bishop1:
Well, my personal opinion is that this device should be outlawed. What right does someone have to restrict my recline. Don't get me wrong, yes it does suck when someone reclines into your space, but guess what? You knew this could happen when you bought your seat. And sure as hell, if someone put this wedge into the seat in front of them to prevent recline, they would be mighty pissed off if someone did it to them. This will cause big problems in my opinion.

</font>
Well, you can always try to recline into my space but you will probably be unsuccessful. This device is just an easier way to make your attempt unsuccessful; you may not like other methods employed to prevent you from crushing my knees.

By the way, purchasing a ticket does not guarantee you a reclining seat. Some seats do not recline (seats in front of exit rows, or last row of seats in a cabin) even without a tall person from preventing you from reclining...

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Be warned. I'm going to post a limited defense of the concept...

I was recently on a Super 80 in my prized 21D seat, only to discover that with the slightest pressure, my seat would recline. Meaning that I had to sit forward during takeoff and landing, so that I would not incur the on-going wrath of the FAs.

Frankly, in that seat, I didn't need to recline, and with MRTC, I find that I often don't recline just out of simple courtesy to the guy behind me. I mean, if it's not necessary for my comfort.

So, having a wedge like that for my own seat would have been really helpful. I wouldn't have wanted to be re-seated, just because my seat was broken. And I didn't want/need to recline.

So... maybe giving the FAs one or two such devices for situations like that would be useful.

On the other hand, if I were an airline, and I found out that I was giving out vouchers/coupons or re-seating pax because someone had been sabotaging other passengers seats...well...
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:34 am

More info on this topic in TravelBuzz thread entitled "Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks. Here's a link to the product website: http://www.kneedefender.com
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grumpymonkey:
Be warned. I'm going to post a limited defense of the concept...

I was recently on a Super 80 in my prized 21D seat, only to discover that with the slightest pressure, my seat would recline. Meaning that I had to sit forward during takeoff and landing, so that I would not incur the on-going wrath of the FAs.

Frankly, in that seat, I didn't need to recline, and with MRTC, I find that I often don't recline just out of simple courtesy to the guy behind me. I mean, if it's not necessary for my comfort.

So, having a wedge like that for my own seat would have been really helpful. I wouldn't have wanted to be re-seated, just because my seat was broken. And I didn't want/need to recline.

So... maybe giving the FAs one or two such devices for situations like that would be useful.
</font>
I like your defense - the only problem would be that to prevent you from reclining, the person behind you would have to have their tray table down. Since they couldn't do that during take-off and landing, you're stuck leaning forward anyway.

BTW - I totally empathize - I hate it when the recline is broken and you have to lean forward to prevent being thrown back.

As for the seat wedge/kneedefender - I just think its going to cause more issues than if you politely ask the person in front of you not to recline. While it is true that some seats on the plane do not recline, the vast majority of them do - and you could just as easily make the argument that if you don't want someone to recline into you, you could always book a seat just behind an exit row.

I never recline - except in J/F or on a redeye - but I would still be a little irked if someone took away that ability from me without even asking. I think the little cards that kneedefender supplies are a start, but I still think it would just be easier to ask the person in front of you to let you know if they're going to be laying back.

Just my two cents....

Edited to add - while I think this is a really good thread - it probably would get a lot more input in TravelBuzz than here in the AA Forum

[This message has been edited by dcmike (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:47 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The product requires your tray table to be down. It seems to me that lowering your own tray table takes up more of your own space than the product gives back by preventing the person in front of you from using the recline which that person paid for.

In summary, the product allows you to steal space from the passenger in front of you, but it costs you more than that amount of space in order to steal space from your fellow passenger!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:49 am

Why not just take out the recline feature on all of the seats? or:

--Only have the recline feature on premium seats.
--Charge more for seats with recline on them.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
This discussion turned nasty in TravelBuzz and I'd really rather we didn't discuss it in duplicate over here....
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:51 am
J S

My back aches badly when I have to sit upright in a seat. This is at least as uncomfortable as a tall person loosing an inch or two of leg room. For that reason, I carefully select my seats on a plane, always avoiding those that do not recline. I am indeed paying for a reclining seat and I intend to recline it.

Similarly, I do not mind if the person in front of me reclines. If someone is that adamant about avoiding reclining seats, then they should also carefully select seats (e.g. bulkhead or second exit row). You can also sit in a middle seat at the back since it is less likely that the seat in front of you will be occupied.

Frankly, I like wider seats. This does not, however, cause me to raise the armrest and make the person sitting next to me less comfortable by claiming part of their seat.

-J S
Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:08 pm
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I thind it's more civil to nicely ask the person in front of you for a warning before reclining, if this is a personal problem. Doesn't seem very nice to intentionally block them.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

When I first saw the title, I thought you were talking about a wedgie.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hate to say it, but I LIKE to recline my seat. I find it more comfortable. I accept that sometimes, I get a seat that doesn't recline, but in general, I figure my odds of getting a seat that reclines are better than the odds of being in a window or aisle seat...

People know seats recline. If you don't like it, make sure you fly up front. Or charter a jet.

Steve
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
As a 6'4" person, I support this device on the grounds that most pax are a**h0les when it comes to reclining. They simply press the button and slam back on the person behind them with no regard.

When this happens to me I make an extra effort to be rude and bump/kick that persons seat throughout the flight.

On the rare occansion that someone bothers to ask if it's ok to recline I often say "Yes, just give me a little warning".
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByrdluvsAWACO:
As a 6'4" person, I support this device on the grounds that most pax are a**h0les when it comes to reclining. They simply press the button and slam back on the person behind them with no regard.

When this happens to me I make an extra effort to be rude and bump/kick that persons seat throughout the flight.

On the rare occansion that someone bothers to ask if it's ok to recline I often say "Yes, just give me a little warning".
</font>
I don't support the device, I support recline for all. AA probably already knows about it because we were all discussing it last week at work. I think once they discuss it at headquarters it will probably be banned because it will cause inter-personal problems (more) between passengers and problems for flight crews.

In addition, the FAA will probably ban them from american carriers because they impede the safety of the passenger in the seat with the traytable down, and the person next to them, from leaving their seat easily in an emergency because it prevents the traytable from going up easily. If the plane had to make an emergency landing and one of these stupid things got wedged in and the passenger couldn't remove it, it could be an even bigger problem than causing fights between everyone involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.