Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

On award flight, can destination city be changed if massive schedule change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Is it at all possible to convince AA call agent to change my award destination city if there has been a massive schedule change on my original flight (has anyone ever done it, any first hand accounts).

I had bought Madrid to Chicago on award flight. It has had a huge schedule change (now arriving 1 day later).

I actually want to get to Seattle (didn't find low-award space at time of booking) - when I call them to discuss options due to this huge change is it feasible to ask to be sent to Seattle instead?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
No first hand, but is there a way to do MAD-XXX-SEA-ORD and just get off in SEA? They might allow it to get you back to where you were before the schedule change....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be a tough sell to go MAD-XXX-SEA-ORD because AA only has flights MAD to JFK or MIA. Then MIA-SEA has only one flight per day.

Since OP originally plan to go ORD-SEA on his own, he might try to work something MAD-XXX-DFW/LAX/SFO-ORD and then get off at DFW or LAX or SFO to go to SEA on his own.

He would get a much higher chance to go thru DFW but not so much to LAX and much less so thru SFO due to frequency of flights.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by noamaan
I had bought Madrid to Chicago on award flight. It has had a huge schedule change (now arriving 1 day later).
AA is pretty good about reprotecting on other carriers due to schedule changes, so an option to consider is having them put you on a different carrier to get you to your destination as originally ticketed. Can you provide more details as to what schedule change is causing a 1 day delay? When are the flights and who is operating them? These will help determine how much flexibility AA has in making changes.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

It was an Iberia operated Madrid to Chicago direct flight 5 months out, bought using AAwards. I have my own arrangements to get to Seattle after I land (refundable).

They simply changed their schedule such that the flight no longer runs on that day, and put me on next day's flight.

Best case for me would be for American Airlines to put me on Madrid to Seattle (through whichever city).

I'm not worried about American reaccomodating me because I'm familiar with schedule changes and airlines being nice, but I want to know how much can I push it - can I just get to Seattle now and if people have good experiences around changing destinations. Or should I not even bother trying.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Is your ORD-SEA flight purchased through AA?

I'd just call them up and explain the situation and hope to get a friendly agent on the phone, it's incredible to me just how much flexibility the phone agents seem to have when they want to be helpful.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - yes I'll try that. Hopefully it works
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Deleted: double post.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Are award flights MAD-SEA available via any airport (e.g., BOS, JFK) available on the day you want to fly? If so, you might find it easier to cancel your current reservation, get your miles back, and rebook.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by noamaan
Is it at all possible to convince AA call agent to change my award destination city if there has been a massive schedule change on my original flight (has anyone ever done it, any first hand accounts).

I actually want to get to Seattle (didn't find low-award space at time of booking) - when I call them to discuss options due to this huge change is it feasible to ask to be sent to Seattle instead?
Of course you should be able to change. A schedule change causing you to arrive a day later is grounds for refund. So, a change should be a non-issue if there is award space. (one reason to ask AA first rather than waiting here for a response,,, if there is space, grab it) If there isn't award space, it might not be so easy.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course you should be able to change. A schedule change causing you to arrive a day later is grounds for refund. So, a change should be a non-issue if there is award space. (one reason to ask AA first rather than waiting here for a response,,, if there is space, grab it) If there isn't award space, it might not be so easy.
It took only 11 posts to get to the correct answer. ^
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
It took only 11 posts to get to the correct answer. ^
I am hoping for such as schedule change within the next 3 weeks as I used an award to return from BCN, since I decided to not try for EXP this year. My goal was to get to LAS for a tournament after a cruise. The best I could do for my limited date range (cruise ends, tournament starts) was ONT.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much to the posters who recommended just getting a full refund and then booking a Madrid to Seattle flight with the refunded miles!

I went with that option, and not only do I save on my refundable paid Chicago to Seattle flight ($200), but also on taxes since Madrid to Seattle taxes on USAirways were only $60 as opposed to $160 on Iberia.

Total cost savings due to schedule change = $360, and I get an extra day in Spain ^
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
AA is pretty good about reprotecting on other carriers due to schedule changes,
IME, AA is quite good about rebooking to accommodate schedule changes - but moving the OP to another carrier on award ticket for a schedule change is not at all likely.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 30, 2014 at 7:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.