Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby for Shorter/All AA Routing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
I just came across this which is very helpful for my case (I just saw this so accidentally posted on the main AA forum)...

In practice, how does the standby work? In my case, I am trying to change YUL-LGA-MIA-PLS to YUL-MIA-PLS. If I get on the YUL-MIA leg, I will have to go on standby again for the MIA-PLS segment in MIA (earlier flight than my originally confirmed flight) rather than confirmed at YUL?

This is for same day standby rather than the same day confirmed change fee.

Thanks.
Yes, you will need to stand by again at MIA. Stand by are handled at the airport as you get close to departure. Rarely you will get to clear standby on another location, but it has happened.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
<redacted comment>

Last edited by neo_781; Oct 15, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
To my understanding you are only allowed to standby for an earlier flight given that you keep your current routing
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jona970318
To my understanding you are only allowed to standby for an earlier flight given that you keep your current routing
That'snot the case on AA.

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Based on the wiki, this seems to be the relevant bit - but want to see how it applies to practice:

4.STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR SAME DAY AA NONSTOP
AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME
ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS PROVIDED THE
ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED.

I am booked confirmed YUL-LGA-MIA-PLS all on the same day.

I would like to standby for YUL-MIA-PLS instead. How do I find if the routing is "applicable for the fare charged"?

Assuming it works and I can get on YUL-MIA, I am assuming I will need to standby for MIA-PLS only when I get to MIA?

Thanks!
It should be allowed unless explicitly excluded in the fare rules. Easiest way to check would be to call AA and ask.

If you are still connecting to the same MIA-PLS,then your seat should remain intact. If you want to get on an earlier MIA-PLS, that would also require standby. The standby list tiebreak is not request time, but check-in time, so whether you get put on the list before you leave YUL or only once you get to MIA shouldn't really matter.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is proposing to cut out an LGA connection and without even looking I'd bet that it's OK under their fare rules.

Generally, you can standby for a different routing only if the new routing is one that is a legal routing for your fare, like LAX-DFW-MIA in place of LAX-ORD-MIA. LAX-BOS-MIA is not a permitted routing for LAX-MIA, and thus you would not be permitted to standby for it in place of a connection at DFW or ORD.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Can you add a segment for SDCC or standby, or does it only work when you're cutting out a segment?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Can you add a segment for SDCC or standby, or does it only work when you're cutting out a segment?
Dunno about SDCC, but you can certainly add a segment when standing by. Proof? The rules provide that you may standby for alternate nonstop or connecting itineraries. Can't standby for a connecting itinerary (on a nonstop ticket) if you can't add a segment. Only fly in the ointment might be that the agents screw up and leave you without a flight coupon for the added segment (someone posted that problem a while back).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by swag
That'snot the case on AA.

It should be allowed unless explicitly excluded in the fare rules. Easiest way to check would be to call AA and ask.

If you are still connecting to the same MIA-PLS,then your seat should remain intact. If you want to get on an earlier MIA-PLS, that would also require standby. The standby list tiebreak is not request time, but check-in time, so whether you get put on the list before you leave YUL or only once you get to MIA shouldn't really matter.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Great news - everything worked well.

Turned up at YUL and requested for YUL-MIA-PLS instead of YUL-LGA-MIA-PLS.

Agent had to fiddle a lot (also wanted to charge $75 before I mentioned OW elite) but eventually asked us what seats we wanted, printed our BPs and put it in her file and told us to retrieve them 30 minutes before departure.

So eventually we did that and she even gave us our BPs at YUL (with confirmed seats) from MIA-PLS on the earlier 12pm flight - we were confirmed on the much later 6pm flight.

YUL-MIA was completely full but there were a handful of non-revs.

MIA-PLS I would say had some scattered empty seats.

So all in all it worked out very well! Hope this is useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.