Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New LAA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Djokison
AA Boeing 737-823 / "738" with in-seat AVOD
Audio-Video On Demand in seat back, new slimline seats inaugurated 13 Dec 2013

• As of 15FEB17, 66 738s (22.3% out of the fleet of 287) are equipped with in-seat AVOD. N314PD
  • They also have new slimline seats in economy, which are reported to be a touch more comfortable than older 738s but with less foot space
  • All new 737s on order will have this configuration
  • "Really big boxes" are present under some seats and limit the space for bags and the legroom:
    • In business (first) class they are under the B and E seats; pictures here
    • In economy class they are under the A, C, D and F seats; C and D seats are more restricted
  • Occasional difficulties occur; holding down the POWER button ten seconds reboots your IFE system (thanks JMN57)
  • These aircraft are not dedicated and are assigned to any route, so you cannot find out whether you will fly on one of these when you're booking (or, really, until you're at the gate)
  • The registration number of these aircraft is N939NN and above (note: the -AN excluded)
  • If you're interested, you can find the registration number of the aircraft assigned (but subject to change) to a flight from about ~24 hours before its departure at www.flightstats.com, in the "Event Timeline" tab (look for "TAIL" events)

Thanks to djokison for starting and adding to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

New LAA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
IIRC no plans to retrofit existing 738s. DL recently announced they are installing AVOD and power to all 737NG, 319, and 757 aircraft so may be the new AA will reconsider.
I wonder, though, now that the older 738s are getting new interiors...again!

What's the configuration of these 738s? They have the new slimlines seats, but are still at 150* in Y, right? So that must mean generous pitch.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546

What's the configuration of these 738s? They have the new slimlines seats, but are still at 150* in Y, right? So that must mean generous pitch.
AA is planning to add more seats, so I wouldn't expect it to stay at 150.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA is planning to add more seats, so I wouldn't expect it to stay at 150.
I get that, but the new 738s have the slimline seats that AA is planning to add to the older 738s. If they have the slimline seats and are at 150, then the pitch must be very generous.

Also, two more new 738s are flying now, so five total. Two more enter service shortly.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I get that, but the new 738s have the slimline seats that AA is planning to add to the older 738s. If they have the slimline seats and are at 150, then the pitch must be very generous.

Also, two more new 738s are flying now, so five total. Two more enter service shortly.
Don't give them any ideas
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't see having the same pitch as JetBlue as being "very generous." Just one frequent coach flyer's opinion.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Please add AVOD to these planes while they're reconfiguring....but I won't hold my breathe
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Photos of the new 738 interior can be seen here.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

On DL? Pretty sure they are currently 16F/18W/126Y

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-800-73h.html

What interior changes are slated for the 1999-2001 era deliveries beyond the CIP program that recently completed?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
On DL? Pretty sure they are currently 16F/18W/126Y
I think he was talking about the refurbished AA planes.
His thinking was: Slimmer seats, with same seat count = more pitch

Last edited by Djokison; Jan 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm Reason: Read wrong originally quoted post
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Djokison
I think he was talking about the refurbished AA planes.
His thinking was: Slimmer seats, with same seat count = more pitch
A slimmer seat does not equal greater pitch. It's an easy way of providing more personal space with the same pitch, or maintaining an equal amount of personal space while reducing the pitch. I can guess what they'll do, but it would be baseless accusations.

One thing to note is that a plane needs to have one flight attendant for every 50 seats. So to expand beyond 150 would need to be sufficient to cover the additional labor cost. They started with 160 seats on the 738, so maybe 10 seats is the minimum they'd need to add before it is revenue neutral.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:06 pm

4th air frame

I just flew SAN to ORD Landed an hour or so ago more and more of these new planes was told it was 2 weeks old no wifi yet. Had the new IFE Way better then old options but still so so and unfinished the cover flow like movie selection was crappy at best but going to a full view option made it all work pulling a large list view by the movie posters. No moving map as of yet and many menus that lead to nowhere really but looks like its the start of something good. Boxes where noticeable but nothing crazy and the usb port was nice NO HDMI I know was posted as a maybe before not a big deal. Also on a side note I was flying 1st class and asked for a bag of chips and was told they no longer carry chips New feature perhaps of IFE lol.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Flew a new 738 today in 9C STL-MIA followed by an old one MIA-KIN

I find the new seat more comfortable than the old - seemed to have a bit better lumbar support and recline was nice.

AVOD didn't seem to have any content - no music, an AA promo short and a short doc about Twitter - plus on mine when I played the Twitter doc the colour went completely wacky on the screen (think solarised and inverted) and then stayed that way for a while (even back in the main menu) but at some point reset itself. Altitude and estimated arrival seemed correct, but time at current destination and external temp were wrong (-81 F from takeoff to landing). If they get it to work and have decent content I'll be looking forward to it.

AC plug + USB is def. a plus, esp the new position of them.

Interior lighting change was noticeable - not sure if it was better or worse, would have to see in a nightime flight.

Underseat box in C and D (and it looks like to a lesser extent in other seats) is TERRIBLE - way way less space for bag or feet - I'm kind of confused as to why that box needs to be that size - you could put a VCR into it!

WiFi wasn't working either (despite multiple announcements about it) - and "Electronics Off" sign on the whole flight. Plus the seat light/call button controls in the AVOD don't do anything.

Overall a def step forward though.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
We were on one of these new planes this past Sunday. AA2356, SFO-ORD. Seats 6EF. Very comfortable plush seats, a lot better than the other ones in the older 737's. Very limited storage space under the seats due to the big electronic (?) box. AVOD selection was great. The only minus, my wife seat seemed to have problems staying in position, also her AVOD started freezing after 2hrs of use, she could not reset it after that. There where announcement of inflight wifi, but the crew confirmed that it was not turned on at the moment. Overall, love the new plane, big improvement.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:23 pm

Question New 738 Cabin Tail#'s?

Anyone have any experience with the new first cabins on AA's 738 fleet? Per AA's publicity pages they were to begin receiving these aircraft in 10/2013. Not sure if that occurred on schedule, but if so does anyone have info on tail numbers and routes?

https://www.aa.com/content/images/pr...ss_back_lg.jpg
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Info here in the pre-merger AA forum..

<redacted circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 13, 2014 at 5:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.