Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Chances of upgrade clearing, upgrade availability discussion (consolidated - 2013 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of upgrade clearing, upgrade availability discussion (consolidated - 2013 on)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTES

• For general information, see this FAQ entry: • What are the chances that my upgrade will clear?

• For specific information herein, try using Search this Thread for your relevant airport code(s), as well as for the previous archived thread (2012 and previous) here: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability (archived - 2012 and prior)

sica4 has generously started a system for tracking upgrade percentages. Please see Post #751 or click HERE to contribute.

Please do not ask members to post proprietary information (e.g. ExpertFlyer data) regarding upgrade chances. Subscriptions and free trials for these services are available.

The AA Forum Moderator Team

1/3/14 ADDENDUM: This thread is now closed - please see the 2014 thread here:

Last edited by dstan; Jan 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm Reason: update OP
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
LAX-MIA - wow, just checked F seats on flt 200 on 1/27 and F0 more than three weeks out and F0 on the return on the 30th flt 287. Wow, I booked 3 months ago so didn't think would be an issue for EXP. Any chance of sticker UG, or should I put in mi/copay and hope one opens.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billmany
LAX-MIA - wow, just checked F seats on flt 200 on 1/27 and F0 more than three weeks out and F0 on the return on the 30th flt 287. Wow, I booked 3 months ago so didn't think would be an issue for EXP. Any chance of sticker UG, or should I put in mi/copay and hope one opens.
looks grim for a sticker or miles/swu upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Being indecisive on a SWU decision, trying to clear 2 people.

Flying from Paris - NYC on January 20th.

Currently booked on AA 44 (direct) showing 7 open seats in biz, about half of exit rows occupied, and J5 R5 D4 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O4. Not bad, but 4 of those seats were sold in the last 3 weeks, and I'm trying to clear 2 people. UG requested a little more than one month before departure. EXP desk said I have a good spot on the waitlist.

Considering doing the BA shuttle to LHR, then getting on AA 107, which is showing a wide open seat map in biz, 3/4 of row 31 open, and J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O7. Given this, I am fairly certain that a SWU would clear, even applied two weeks out.

It is important to me that my SWUs clear if possible, as they are expiring soon and this is a quick personal trip.

There is a fare difference in my favor, but the change would cost me $378 ($178 after AmEx credit). If that gives me a much higher shot at the upgrade, I would be willing to spend.

I guess my question here is, especially for those familiar with AA 44, how 'dangerous' is that flight looking two weeks out with those numbers?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
ORD - jfk/dfw/mia - GIG

Any thoughts on which connection is gonna give me the best shot at clearing from Y-C?

I'm looking at mid Feb and each of the flights shows about 10-12 seats taken.

Right now I'm leaning towards DFW or MIA just because of the better connection times and less chance of wx issues.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Being someone that buys last minute and often switches, I think it only right AA waits to last minute to upgrade if only a few seats left. They have finally wised up and now sell f for a little more than y on most routes. AA is trying to maximize revenue and keep their premium flyers happy by having last minute availability. The CK desk told me they will be holding more seats in 2013 to accommodate business travelers paying full fare.

Originally Posted by JY1024
Well, I personally think it's reasonable for AA not to process upgrades at this point due to the following:

1) Holiday season
2) Flight very close to New Years Eve
3) Storms recently causing issues at DFW and potentially still needing to re-book stranded passengers (which is potentially why F loads are high right now)

I'll cross my fingers for you. (I've had a few upgrades clear at the airport/gate this year.)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why would this be J0 so far out?

AA 78 on 1/17. Showing

J0 R0 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O0

So, plenty of Y, even into low buckets. There are 7 open seats on J. I know about the reliability of the seat map, but it's been this way for quite some time (maybe 10 days or more). The only thing I can think is that other J options out of DFW seem reasonably full...so maybe they're holding some inventory.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:12 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by brp
AA 78 on 1/17. Showing

So, plenty of Y, even into low buckets. There are 7 open seats on J. I know about the reliability of the seat map, but it's been this way for quite some time (maybe 10 days or more). The only thing I can think is that other J options out of DFW seem reasonably full...so maybe they're holding some inventory.

Cheers.
Perhaps they have sold all the J seats but some people don't have seat assignments? I've rarely seen AA empty out availability just because, unless there were IRROPS the day of / before the flight.

Greg
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GregL
Perhaps they have sold all the J seats but some people don't have seat assignments? I've rarely seen AA empty out availability just because, unless there were IRROPS the day of / before the flight.

Greg
Certainly possible. and I've considered that. However, I wouldn't expect them to be "open" for as long as they have in a situation like that.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
EXP upgrade chances to/from HNL from LAX

I don't tend to have the patience to wait and see when on vacation/weekend trips, but gonna take my chances this time around for a bit of a "extended" MR, traveling alone. For those on here with some experience with this route, is there any kind of trend with the EXP upgrade coming through?

LAX - HNL (02/07/2103) AA 297 - through pass. if makes a diff
HNL - LAX (02/10/2103) AA 284

Thanks !
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by nickflies
Being indecisive on a SWU decision, trying to clear 2 people.

Flying from Paris - NYC on January 20th.

Currently booked on AA 44 (direct) showing 7 open seats in biz, about half of exit rows occupied, and J5 R5 D4 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O4. Not bad, but 4 of those seats were sold in the last 3 weeks, and I'm trying to clear 2 people. UG requested a little more than one month before departure. EXP desk said I have a good spot on the waitlist.

Considering doing the BA shuttle to LHR, then getting on AA 107, which is showing a wide open seat map in biz, 3/4 of row 31 open, and J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q7 O7. Given this, I am fairly certain that a SWU would clear, even applied two weeks out.

It is important to me that my SWUs clear if possible, as they are expiring soon and this is a quick personal trip.

There is a fare difference in my favor, but the change would cost me $378 ($178 after AmEx credit). If that gives me a much higher shot at the upgrade, I would be willing to spend.

I guess my question here is, especially for those familiar with AA 44, how 'dangerous' is that flight looking two weeks out with those numbers?
Following Up: Jumped ship, both SWUs cleared in advance (hidden C inventory) on AA107.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brp
AA 78 on 1/17. Showing

Cheers.
Well I was recently on AA32 LAX to JFK the seat map had around 7 open seats in J but EP was showing J2 D0 I0. I was concerned since I was trying to get eVIP to clear that segment. (I was flying in from NRT). Just before my flight took off in NRT i checked EP again it's suddenly showing J6 D6 I4 (and C1). So I guess sometimes they hold back inventory. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pindento
I don't tend to have the patience to wait and see when on vacation/weekend trips, but gonna take my chances this time around for a bit of a "extended" MR, traveling alone. For those on here with some experience with this route, is there any kind of trend with the EXP upgrade coming through?
LAX - HNL (02/07/2103) AA 297 - through pass. if makes a diff
HNL - LAX (02/10/2103) AA 284
Thanks !
LAX-HNL for EXPs is usually a very easy upgrade if the F cabin isn't sold out with paid F.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:56 pm

Here's a fun question. We've largely sorted out the priorities for upgrading, but what happens if your companion is in a different fare bucket, or only one of you is transiting?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
LAX-HNL for EXPs is usually a very easy upgrade if the F cabin isn't sold out with paid F.
What about HNL - LAX or HNL - DFW for EXP? I see less available F seats on those flights vs the ones going to HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.