Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For a 3 day delay on the return flight, so minimal inconvenience as you are at home now, I would just be happy if the bag gets home safely and leave it at that.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by LKLA
Hi -

We took a trip from NYC to St Thomas, UVI. On the return, American Airlines had a terrible check-in process in place at the St Thomas airport so it came as no surprise that they ended up sending one of our bags to Toronto instead of to JFK since they tagged it with someone else's luggage tag. It has been two days now and the bag has not arrived though they have located it in Toronto and seems it was driven over to Buffalo then flown to Chicago and is now on its way home to NYC.

Is there anything we can "reasonably" ask American Airlines for as it relates to compensation, be it vouchers, miles, status upgrade, money... For what it may be worth, I am Platinum status. Thank you.
Document everything without dramatics and send it in an email to AA. At the least I would think AA will throw some miles your way, particularly as a PLT. Possibly a voucher towards future travel but more than likely miles.

I can't understand whey they didn't just put it on a flight to LGA or JFK.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:48 pm

A bag can not fly across the border - told someone had to drive it over to Buffalo. As for the logic...there seems to be little of it in this entire process. Check-in was very empty and I checked both tags but the problem is that the process is very manual and the AA employee or contracted worker somehow handed me one correct and one incorrect tag barely five seconds after showing me two corrects tags - which means someone else also got a wrong tag. She had 8-10 tags in her hand. Since then I have heard this happens rather regularly in St Thomas.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LKLA
A bag can not fly across the border - told someone had to drive it over to Buffalo. As for the logic...there seems to be little of it in this entire process. Check-in was very empty and I checked both tags but the problem is that the process is very manual and the AA employee or contracted worker somehow handed me one correct and one incorrect tag barely five seconds after showing me two corrects tags - which means someone else also got a wrong tag. She had 8-10 tags in her hand. Since then I have heard this happens rather regularly in St Thomas.
It can be extremely easy to mistag a bag if the agent doesn't take steps to prevent it.

I only print the tags and tag the bags once I have all of the baggage in my custody and accounted for, and I only ever have tags in front of me that belong to the passengers I have in front of me. If the passenger needs to repack or something, I'd rather cancel the tag and print a new one than risk pulling the wrong one.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
It can be extremely easy to mistag a bag if the agent doesn't take steps to prevent it.

I only print the tags and tag the bags once I have all of the baggage in my custody and accounted for, and I only ever have tags in front of me that belong to the passengers I have in front of me. If the passenger needs to repack or something, I'd rather cancel the tag and print a new one than risk pulling the wrong one.
If agents tag my bags, I watch them, read the tag for destination and flights as well as assure my receipt / tag / sticker is correct for each bag. Defensive flying is the order of the day.

We'll merge this into the existing thread. /Moderator
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
If agents tag my bags, I watch them, read the tag for destination and flights as well as assure my receipt / tag / sticker is correct for each bag. Defensive flying is the order of the day.
Same here, it may irritate the AAgent on occasions, but I'm not leaving the desk until I see my tags actually on my bags.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:17 pm

Lost luggage and lost and found at JFK

I left a duty-free bag on an LHR-JFK American flight yesterday. Registered the details on aa.com, only to be told that their lost and found doesn't support JFK. I went on the hunt to find baggage claim lost-luggage at JFK. The number is 718-487-5558, as mentioned below. But for items left behind on the plane, such as duty-free items, the number is 718-487-7928.

both calls were answered promptly, and the personnel were very courteous -- even though neither had my item.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nerskine
I left a duty-free bag on an LHR-JFK American flight yesterday. Registered the details on aa.com, only to be told that their lost and found doesn't support JFK. I went on the hunt to find baggage claim lost-luggage at JFK. The number is 718-487-5558, as mentioned below. But for items left behind on the plane, such as duty-free items, the number is 718-487-7928.

both calls were answered promptly, and the personnel were very courteous -- even though neither had my item.
Thank you for sharing that, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

/Moderator
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Was on an F itinerary back in June. LAX-AUS

One of 3 bags didn't arrive. It was a 21 inch with expensive stuff in it. LAX has a way of losing this kind of bag. Over the years I have never lost a beaten up 29 inch full of dirty socks. But whenever I stuff a new 21 inch with Black Friday shopping or have some interesting SCUBA gear, LAX is 50/50 to be a black hole.

Complained as soon as I landed in AUS.

Waited 7 days, submitted claim to Central Baggage Services by USPS.

The delivery record shows that this item was delivered on July 8, 2015

Since then I had a bunch of automated phone calls from AA saying my luggage hasn't been found and that I should please submit the claim to Central Baggage Services.

July 27th I tried to follow up by phone. Long hold resulted in them telling me that there is no time line for this and they cannot confirm that they have received my claim.

19 days since my claim had been delivered and AA wouldn't even confirm receipt if the documents!

I e-mailed their PPQ e-mail address (the one for electronic claim submission) to follow-up and they deleted it unread.

Your message

To: PPQ1600
Subject: Follow-up on documentation for lost bags claim
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:22:12 AM (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

was deleted without being read on Monday, July 27, 2015 8:43:29 AM (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada).

Disgusting.....

Waited a full month and complained to AA Customer Relations. Got a form letter back to please contact Central Baggage Services.

As of today I am still out of pocket and AA won't communicate. I now avoid giving them any business unless (as is often the case) the route demands it.

I complained to the DoT today as their baggage liability rule, 14 CFR Part 254 should apply to this domestic itinerary. I had provided all documentation complete and in a timely fashion. This is going too far. It has been like.. 3 months.

I think something like this is still going on. They had a crackdown a year or two ago and caught a few dozen people but it has probably started up again.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us...luggage-theft/

What worries me even more is the idea that some rather large and heavy items can get misappropriated and somehow leave the secure area of the airport. It makes me wonder if that means that a sufficiently motivated baggage handling contractor could introduce large outside items into the cargo hold.

Will update if/when I hear back from AA. If they won't talk to me perhaps they will talk to the DoT.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I communicated with them via paper letters and certified, registered mail. seemed to be much less 'lost communication'

I specifically would not give them email nor phone numbers.

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Was on an F itinerary back in June. LAX-AUS

One of 3 bags didn't arrive. It was a 21 inch with expensive stuff in it. LAX has a way of losing this kind of bag. Over the years I have never lost a beaten up 29 inch full of dirty socks. But whenever I stuff a new 21 inch with Black Friday shopping or have some interesting SCUBA gear, LAX is 50/50 to be a black hole.

Complained as soon as I landed in AUS.

Waited 7 days, submitted claim to Central Baggage Services by USPS.

The delivery record shows that this item was delivered on July 8, 2015

Since then I had a bunch of automated phone calls from AA saying my luggage hasn't been found and that I should please submit the claim to Central Baggage Services.

July 27th I tried to follow up by phone. Long hold resulted in them telling me that there is no time line for this and they cannot confirm that they have received my claim.

19 days since my claim had been delivered and AA wouldn't even confirm receipt if the documents!

I e-mailed their PPQ e-mail address (the one for electronic claim submission) to follow-up and they deleted it unread.

Your message

To: PPQ1600
Subject: Follow-up on documentation for lost bags claim
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:22:12 AM (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

was deleted without being read on Monday, July 27, 2015 8:43:29 AM (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada).

Disgusting.....

Waited a full month and complained to AA Customer Relations. Got a form letter back to please contact Central Baggage Services.

As of today I am still out of pocket and AA won't communicate. I now avoid giving them any business unless (as is often the case) the route demands it.

I complained to the DoT today as their baggage liability rule, 14 CFR Part 254 should apply to this domestic itinerary. I had provided all documentation complete and in a timely fashion. This is going too far. It has been like.. 3 months.

I think something like this is still going on. They had a crackdown a year or two ago and caught a few dozen people but it has probably started up again.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us...luggage-theft/

What worries me even more is the idea that some rather large and heavy items can get misappropriated and somehow leave the secure area of the airport. It makes me wonder if that means that a sufficiently motivated baggage handling contractor could introduce large outside items into the cargo hold.

Will update if/when I hear back from AA. If they won't talk to me perhaps they will talk to the DoT.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:07 pm

SO i have a very different question.

I am landing at JFK in the morning at 10 AM. and my connecting flight (different airline/ separate ticket) is in the night at 9 PM. So I want to work from AA club during the day.
My question is what happens to the bags I checked for the first flight? Can I intentionally delay claiming my own bags till evening? As I can not go out of the secure area to claim bags and return back to the AA club?

ANy thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If you think leaving your bag abandoned on the carousel for 6 hours, then hope the put it aside, then when you finally show up it can be located....w

What are the two airlines involved? You MAY be able to check through even if separate tickets.

and if not, why not claim the bag at 10:15am then go upstairs and check in? Is there a restriction on how early you may check in for the second flight? You might check in on line in advance, then just bag drop when you arrive.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Here is a good one, I might need to share with the media... ORD-MIA-BOG... ORD-MIA majorly delayed.. Rerouted to FLL.. Promised my baggage, a hotel and transport.. Got nothing on arrival... Arrive to BOG no bag.. Report made, no bag... Finally need some clothes.. Can't find a size 13 shoe, nor clothes that I want.. Managed a shirt at Burberry.. I really need my baggage.. I end up buying a ticket to MIA because my bag should be there. Bought a ticket on AA.. Had traffic, missed my flight.. They offer to rebook me for $400.. (Mind you I'm flying to MIA to find my bag on my own...) I end up buying another ticket on AM... Had to spend two days in MIA (Did some more shopping) I ended up finding my bag on my own at MIA! They denied having my bag, and I personally went into their baggage area, and found it in the HOT Shelf area.. AA has no explanation.. The bag was in no way linked to my report, and was ready to go to the Dallas warehouse... So my trip and expenses were worthwhile..
If AA permanently lost my baggage I don't believe I'de ever be compensated correctly.. (Tumi bag, a couple pairs of Santoni shoes. Lets just say I don't shop at Macys..)
Now I besides spending a little over $1000 on incidental costs, I had to buy airline tickets, and hotels, also wasted a few days on the journey to get my baggage AA failed to find.. (Lets not forget to mention that every call to Central baggage would not go through to an agent or voicemail)
I am assuming AA will do nothing in terms of taking care of my costs to get my bag.. Who should I contact to put pressure, and bad media attention to AA? Their customer service is awful, as is their baggage handling. (I am missing incidental expenses from a trip over a month ago) I'm a OW elite, and usually traveling on paid F/J..
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Hi Team,

Looking for some advice from some AA Experts -

I flew DUB-LHR-JFK (BA) - LAX-LAS (AA) in early August this year. Bag was scanned by AA at JFK but never made it onto the LAX flight hence me arriving into LAS on the last flight of the day with no bag. Was told they would look for it but to buy stuff in the meantime like underwear / toiletries etc for a couple of days and reclaim it. Bag arrived eventually, had a great time in Vegas and then submitted the claim with itemised receipts on return to the UK via recorded delivery.

They said 6-8 weeks for it to be processed; after 8 weeks nothing, so got in touch with Customer Services who apologised, sent me a $25 voucher for waiting and said Baggage would be in touch shortly. Another couple of weeks and nothing, save an email from them to say they are busy.

It is now nearly 3 months since I submitted the claim - how long, in your experience, does one have to wait to get back money spent in good faith after a mistake by the airline?

Thanks,

MrMutton
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by MrMutton

It is now nearly 3 months since I submitted the claim - how long, in your experience, does one have to wait to get back money spent in good faith after a mistake by the airline?

Thanks,

MrMutton
As a data point, my claim from July 2015 was only now dealt with, after I involved the DoT and almost 30 more days lapsed since I involved the DoT.

AA's "resolution" is to send me a check for 1400 dollars where the loss was ~3200 dollars so the issue is on-going as far as I am concerned. But yeah.. Mid-July to Mid-November = 4 months has been my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.