Wiki Posts
Search

AA Seating Questions [why are some seats blocked?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
AA Seating Questions [why are some seats blocked?]

I'm wondering if AA reserves seats for some reason... when I try to book well in advance on an erj for example the seats 1A, 4A, 3B, 3C, 4C and exit rows 12b and 12c are always blocked off. Any reason why?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:28 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

They are blocked for full fare and frequent fliers with elite status on AA and its partners
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
They do also reserve some seats for airport assignment and/or check-in. Not sure if that involves every aircraft or if it is consistent, but I assume it does/is.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Check Expert Flyer

I have found when booking on AA the seat map will show many seats as unavailable. Now that I have status I find it shows more availability. But to know whether you have a chance at getting a coveted seat at a later time, you can check for free, "Expert Flyer". It will show whether a seat is taken, or simply blocked. I use this strategy often and each flight has different seats blocked...it is nice to know that the (maybe it is behind or next to yours) seat may be vacant (or given to an employee of FF) who likely will not be annoying.

You need the route, airline, flight number and date to check seat assignments on Expert Flyer.

Originally Posted by JGray
I'm wondering if AA reserves seats for some reason... when I try to book well in advance on an erj for example the seats 1A, 4A, 3B, 3C, 4C and exit rows 12b and 12c are always blocked off. Any reason why?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Those are most likely elite-blocked seats. The seats blocked for airport assignment are generally the first row after the exit and/or the last row. AA generally doesn't airport-block seats that could otherwise produce additional revenue like Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Airlines block seats for various reasons - for passengers needing bassinets, for disabled passengers, etc.

Twice now a phone agent has given me the seat blocked for a disabled person, as it was the only MCE seat left - and she made it quite clear that if there was a disabled passenger I would lose that seat assignment.

And even expert flyer isn't completely reliable ... US Airways 321s on EF always show the exit rows as blocked (or occupied), but the blocked ones are fully available to the appropriate elites. I presume EF simply doesn't have enough labels to show the full set of US seat categories.

Even so, EF is often the best way to view a seat map - as most airlines simply show you available / unavailable and EF separates the unavailable into occupied / blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.