Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard service review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Onboard service review

Over the years I have largely encountered some of the most amazingly customer-focused AA flight attendants who make a flight exceptional.

More recently, it seems more and more difficult to find these stars.

It has me wondering if its my imagination, or does the overall service on AA in premium cabins feel chaotic and lazy?

What happened that it feels more like the customer focus seems low on the list for AA compared to the pre-US time?

I fly about 2-4 flights per week always in F/J cabins. It's just that I wonder if I am getting spoiled by other airlines that focus more on the customer and feel more present. So is it me? Or have you too noticed a decline in the way inflight crews care?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, morale has reached new lows, and management is focused on other issues than customer-centered service, with no inspired leadership to motivate anyone. I think you're correct, and this has been under discussion for some time.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
IMO, morale has reached new lows, and management is focused on other issues than customer-centered service, with no inspired leadership to motivate anyone. I think you're correct, and this has been under discussion for some time.
Thanks for perspective. I guess the next question I wonder is why they lack this focus? How do they think its sustainable for premium customers to experience an undesirable product when competition is stepping it up all around them?

It's a bit baffling. There must be some good reason that I am failing to see.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I travel every week for work on AA; I fear they are becoming the new UA - UGH. The crappy attitude and service is not limited to FAs - I see them with Gate agents too. A few weeks ago I was flying LAX to ORD - there were 8 kids who were on the flight going for basic training - i.e. military - and not in uniform. One gate agent told them to pre-board - the gate agent at the door scanning boarding passes was extremely rude and turned them aside; I pointed out that they were military and her colleague approved pre-board. She got on the PA system and in a snarky voice yelled to me that she DOES NOT read minds. Unbelievable!

I wish I had options to switch flying out of DFW.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Thanks for perspective. I guess the next question I wonder is why they lack this focus? How do they think its sustainable for premium customers to experience an undesirable product when competition is stepping it up all around them?

It's a bit baffling. There must be some good reason that I am failing to see.
I don't think there's a "good" reason , just a huge silo and ivory tower bound leadership and vision vacuum, airlines headed by quarterly results bound functionaries.

Airline top managers and CEOs seem to be technicians and sang froid accountants, whereas in the past some have been visionaries - some successful, a la C. R. Smith et al, some less so because their visions were more about wrong-headed ego (and one could say even mental health issues in at least the Howard Hughes instance).

The most recent may have been Herb Kelleher at WN, who inspired the front line folks by making work fun, cross training, etc. (even though is as unionized as AA) and even showed up at a ticket counter or gate to shlep some bags or process boarding passes, celebrate a valued employee's birthday, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuckshark
I travel every week for work on AA; I fear they are becoming the new UA - UGH. The crappy attitude and service is not limited to FAs - I see them with Gate agents too. A few weeks ago I was flying LAX to ORD - there were 8 kids who were on the flight going for basic training - i.e. military - and not in uniform. One gate agent told them to pre-board - the gate agent at the door scanning boarding passes was extremely rude and turned them aside; I pointed out that they were military and her colleague approved pre-board. She got on the PA system and in a snarky voice yelled to me that she DOES NOT read minds. Unbelievable!

I wish I had options to switch flying out of DFW.
For someone like me based out of LAX what would you recommend as an alternative.

Profile:
LAX is home.
I fly about $220-250K/yr rev. Always F/J. Weekly to JFK. Bi-monthly to TPA. Monthly to HNL or LIH.
On AA I am CK which when hell breaks loose, they are amazing to get you home and make your journey recovery as good as it can be.
I was UA GS before merger with CO and it all went south.
I've been chosing JB Mint suites when possible for weekly JFK runs. Food, service, love feels amazing. Cons: weak system, undisciplined recovery process when cx and mx happens.
Just opted for DL plat targeted offer and bought 3 r/t JFK in businesselite one whatever its called but not usually a DL fan.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I think DL would be a great option for you based at LAX. Their new Delta One checkin looks very nice and private and the FAs are generally happy and attentive and happy you're there. They're investing in their fleet, food is good usually etc etc.

I agree though AA stinks now and this is probably the last year I try (or care) to requalify.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't think there's a "good" reason , just a huge silo and ivory tower bound leadership and vision vacuum, airlines headed by quarterly results bound functionaries.

Airline top managers and CEOs seem to be technicians and sang froid accountants, whereas in the past some have been visionaries - some successful, a la C. R. Smith et al, some less so because their visions were more about wrong-headed ego (and one could say even mental health issues in at least the Howard Hughes instance).

The most recent may have been Herb Kelleher at WN, who inspired the front line folks by making work fun, cross training, etc. (even though is as unionized as AA) and even showed up at a ticket counter or gate to shlep some bags or process boarding passes, celebrate a valued employee's birthday, etc.

This by no means is limited to AA. Its the "Wal Martization of consumer businesses. Cost cutting and cheap prices and that's about it.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Front line employees face a lot of stressors these days. I don't think the merger itself is that high on the list. Having lived through the CO/UA debacle, I can tell you that this merger is going swimmingly.

First, it's the summer travel season. Planes are full. Planes are especially full because of capacity discipline. Second, the hub banking has got to be incredibly stressful for the GAs.

As far as the FAs, service is about the same as it's always been, IMO. Some great, some awful, the vast majority adequate. Face it, it's just not in AA's corporate DNA to serve PDBs like other airlines.

What we don't see is one group of employees actively putting down other groups. We don't see employees vocally dissing management.

We all bring expectations to the airport. We're wary of what DP is going to do to the airline, and when we see the lack of PDBs or an FA who is surly or forgets to hand out coats before landing, we conclude that DP is ruining the airline. We forget that the same things have been happening forever.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
I'd comment that this is not limited to a summer/full plane phenomenon. I mostly travel in paid F/J (I'm hostage to US/AA in PHL), but I'm moving nearly all of my Int'l travel to BA. BA isn't Singapore, but it's light years better then US/AA (Even with the US PBD).

It is no cheaper to fly a domestic airline internationally, I do lose MM miles, but the difference in service is worth it to me. You would think at least on the international flights the domestic airlines would try to ensure good service, due to profitability.

Last edited by jdanton; Jun 21, 2015 at 9:31 am Reason: type
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Front line employees face a lot of stressors these days. I don't think the merger itself is that high on the list. Having lived through the CO/UA debacle, I can tell you that this merger is going swimmingly.

First, it's the summer travel season. Planes are full. Planes are especially full because of capacity discipline. Second, the hub banking has got to be incredibly stressful for the GAs.

As far as the FAs, service is about the same as it's always been, IMO. Some great, some awful, the vast majority adequate. Face it, it's just not in AA's corporate DNA to serve PDBs like other airlines.

What we don't see is one group of employees actively putting down other groups. We don't see employees vocally dissing management.

We all bring expectations to the airport. We're wary of what DP is going to do to the airline, and when we see the lack of PDBs or an FA who is surly or forgets to hand out coats before landing, we conclude that DP is ruining the airline. We forget that the same things have been happening forever.
In fact, at least in my experience US GAs and particularly FAs are more serviced oriented. I work with several US EXPs (former CPs) and they have commented on the vast difference in service level between US and AA. They are aghast that AA which has two FAs working F (except MD80s and RJs) will not serve PDBs even when there is ample time to do so.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by jdanton

It is no cheaper to fly a domestic airline internationally, I do lose MM miles, but the difference in service is worth it to me. You would think at least on the international flights the domestic airlines would try to ensure good service, due to profitability.
If you're moving the majority of your flying to BA (as you mentioned), then it isn't an issue, as BA flights count for million miler status too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Djokison
If you're moving the majority of your flying to BA (as you mentioned), then it isn't an issue, as BA flights count for million miler status too.
Good to know--I'm new to this whole OW/AA stuff.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Sitting on the deck here at SAN and on a ground stop due to weather near ORD. Everyone keeps trashing US but their FAs are always on top of it in F. The AAs haven't offered even water much less a PDB and just stood in the galley chatting the entire time. Been sitting on the plane for nearly an hour now. Ridiculous. I'm going to stop paying for F because id rather get the same service (if this is what it is) on a complimentary UPG.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Sitting on the deck here at SAN and on a ground stop due to weather near ORD. Everyone keeps trashing US but their FAs are always on top of it in F. The AAs haven't offered even water much less a PDB and just stood in the galley chatting the entire time. Been sitting on the plane for nearly an hour now. Ridiculous. I'm going to stop paying for F because id rather get the same service (if this is what it is) on a complimentary UPG.
If the flight appears to have time I ring the call button. I did get an un-prompted PDB DFW-YYZ last week on the A319.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.