Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While JFK is open be aware that the Airtrain is still down if you are thinking of somehow getting to the Howard Beach or Jamaica stations.
They are running buses from those stations to the terminals.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:26 am

I just got off the phone with an EXP agent who told me that AA has no flights to EWR and LGA today (Wednesday). She did find a single flight AA9259 leaving ORD @ 8 PM to JFK arriving at 11:15PM. This must be a repositioning flight of a plane flown to ORD as the aircraft is a 762. Hope I will be able to get a cab at JFK and that we finally have power in lower Manhattan (TriBeCa). It will be good to finally get home after a couple of weeks in China and two nights stuck at ORD.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:28 am

Has anyone had any luck rebooking tickets from NYC airports to upstate NY without fare changes? With long phone wait, I want an idea of my chances. I have a return flight from EWR to DFW on Nov 1.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JimLeo
Has anyone had any luck rebooking tickets from NYC airports to upstate NY without fare changes? With long phone wait, I want an idea of my chances. I have a return flight from EWR to DFW on Nov 1.
My parents were able to rebook a ORD-LGA flight to ORD-BOS for no charge. It was the last leg of an award ticket.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
It looks JFK is operating now for arrival flights this morning.
I saw some B6,DL flights already arrived at JFK.
Sadly no AA flights so far except JL operated one, hopefully AA will move some airplanes to JFK today for tomorrow's flights.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/fligh...?view=&apt=JFK
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional SFO-JFK flight tonight, leaving at 2200 and arriving at 0640. It's a 762 and will be flying as AA9258.

Other additional flights to JFK, besides the ORD-JFK one mentioned above, are a 777 doing DFW-JFK leaving at 1700 as AA9265, and a 757 leaving MIA at 1600 as AA9266.

There could be more, so check schedules if you're stuck somewhere.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:37 am

Why is it that AA almost always automatically rebooks a cancelled flight giving the passenger the worst possible alternative. I don't blame them for the storm of course. But it seems to be a pattern: give the rebooked passenger, who has no say, a terrible routing which they probably could not sell. It's like walking into an empty restaurant and being seated next to the kitchen. When you politely object they give you a better table. I was booked o fly JFK MXP, a flight of 8 hours. I was rebooked without consultation JFk to Raleigh to London to MXP, some 20 hours. WHen I called, a rather indigant agent said take it or leave it. I called back and got the same. i called a third and fourth time, finally getting a nice man, who booked me on the next JFk-MXP flight. I looked on expert flyer and there are plenty of empty seats on this flight. So why does AA put its elite travellers through such hell? WHom are they saving the good seats for?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:01 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by hillrider
Additional SFO-JFK flight tonight, leaving at 2200 and arriving at 0640. It's a 762 and will be flying as AA9258.
I'm at SFO now and there are multiple 76s at the hangar... Looks like they're ready to get back in the action.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
I'm at SFO now and there are multiple 76s at the hangar... Looks like they're ready to get back in the action.
Certainly hope so. From what i can tell, all other airlines' flights to JFK already took off this morning.

Originally Posted by uppereastff
Why is it that AA almost always automatically rebooks a cancelled flight giving the passenger the worst possible alternative.
Had similar experience yesterday. I called the 1800 number while waiting in line at SFO. It went through and was told the first direct flight ex-SFO will be on thursday and the first available seat will be on friday night. By the time i got to the counter, the agent at SFO was able to put me on AA18 tonight (Wed). This all happened in the space of 15-20min.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1.5MM, AC
Was scheduled SEA-DFW-PHL on Thursday, Nov. 1 with a return on Sunday, Nov. 4 for my first ever trip to Atlantic City to see a show on Saturday night. Bally's is still closed, no power and a reported problem with contaminated drinking water so I wanted to cancel the whole trip.

The solution for my airfare was allowing a waiver to the trip change charge on the cancelled ticket which will leave me full ticket value to apply to a future reservation booked within 1 year (if I understood the agent correctly). I'm happy with that.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Scott McCartney reports

"American Airlines said it was resuming service to all airports on the East Coast except New York, but hopes to have a few flights into JFK Wednesday night. American said it planned to resume passenger flights at Newark on Thursday morning, and LaGuardia on Thursday afternoon. American said flights at Boston’s Logan International Airport resumed on Tuesday."

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...-york-flights/
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Trying to avoid hurricane Sandy and related issues (consolidated)

I was booked to JFK for Sunday which was cancelled. They rebooked me for mco-ord-bdl for yesterday, tuesday, which was fine. The flight to bdl had empty seats, despite being the second flight to land at bdl after the storm.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very surprised at the number of empty seats going east.

The husband is on Flight 2073 SNA-ORD right now. They had to stop in Denver to take on additional fuel in acticipation of air traffic delays in ORD. Now he's likely going to miss his connection to PHL. I just called EXP line and they protected a seat for him on the next flight to PHL which still has several empty seats.

I guess a lot of people are just cancelling their travel altogether. If he can't get to PHL tonight, he might as well come home as he has a mornign meeting tomorrow and is then headed home.

EXP line picked up on one ring. They must have staffed up, or everyone is done calling.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm very surprised at the number of empty seats going east.

The husband is on Flight 2073 SNA-ORD right now. They had to stop in Denver to take on additional fuel in acticipation of air traffic delays in ORD. Now he's likely going to miss his connection to PHL. I just called EXP line and they protected a seat for him on the next flight to PHL which still has several empty seats.

I guess a lot of people are just cancelling their travel altogether. If he can't get to PHL tonight, he might as well come home as he has a mornign meeting tomorrow and is then headed home.

EXP line picked up on one ring. They must have staffed up, or everyone is done calling.
After EVERY disaster travel to the affected area dies down. We're not there yet, we're just in the area of extreme fluidity with bookings and rebookings. At one moment a flight has "several" (3? 6?) empty seats, two minutes later zero, and vice versa. At the moment no ORD-PHL AA flights show availability; in 10 minutes it most likely be different! [Edited to add: I refreshed the query, and one seat opened up on the flight that leaves in 1:10 ...]

Great to hear about the EXP desk working!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what several means, the EXP agent used that term. She did sound tired and just done with the whole situation, but she got him a seat, and that's what is important. He's supposed ot come in to H8 at 3:52 and his original flight leaves out of H5 at 4:05 so there's a chance he'll make it. I sent him an email with his two options and told him to hustle. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.