Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
I traveled from Midtown to JFK today. I took LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica. At Jamaica, you will take the AirTrain for one stop to Federal Circle. At Federal Circle, there are shuttle buses waiting to take everyone on to the terminals.

I would think you could easily do this in the opposite direction and get back to Manhattan.

No fares are being collected today or tomorrow.

The process was very easy and the airport was not very crowded.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by sent
I traveled from Midtown to JFK today. I took LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica. At Jamaica, you will take the AirTrain for one stop to Federal Circle. At Federal Circle, there are shuttle buses waiting to take everyone on to the terminals.
Normally, I can do Midtown (Times Square) to the gate at T8 in an hour via LIRR. While I'm obviously budgeting more time for tomorrow, how long did this take you?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Normally, I can do Midtown (Times Square) to the gate at T8 in an hour via LIRR. While I'm obviously budgeting more time for tomorrow, how long did this take you?
I got on the LIRR at 9:50 am. I was at Federal Circle by 10:25 am. From there it's a crapshoot of how long the shuttle bus will take. They are lined up waiting for you, but they don't leave until they are packed full. So if that takes 15 minutes, then add the time to get to Terminal 8 for AA which always feels like forever. I was at the terminal by a little after 11 am, no lines for security, and was able to get standby for a 12 pm flight for LAX than having to wait until 1:45 pm for my scheduled flight.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I got on the LIRR at 9:50 am. I was at Federal Circle by 10:25 am. From there it's a crapshoot of how long the shuttle bus will take. They are lined up waiting for you, but they don't leave until they are packed full. So if that takes 15 minutes, then add the time to get to Terminal 8 for AA which always feels like forever. I was at the terminal by a little after 11 am, no lines for security, and was able to get standby for a 12 pm flight for LAX than having to wait until 1:45 pm for my scheduled flight.
That is what galls me. Despite a row of buses, the buses won't leave until its so full that paxs and their luggage are falling all over the place. I swear the PA is run by a bunch of crackheads.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

I would think you could easily do this in the opposite direction and get back to Manhattan.

No fares are being collected today or tomorrow.

The process was very easy and the airport was not very crowded.
Do they have the Airtrain back from Jamaica to JFK working yet? I didn't think it was and I commute through there every day (at least for now).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by george 3
Do they have the Airtrain back from Jamaica to JFK working yet? I didn't think it was and I commute through there every day (at least for now).
Not the Airtrain, but the same buses dropping people off at the terminals were picking others up to take them to Federal Circle. The Airtrain itself only ran from Jamaica to Federal Circle.

And I agree, the buses not leaving until chock full is stupid. Last year I suffered through this and almost missed my flight. I wanted to clobber the last group who boarded - a bunch of slow European tourists who rolled like 6 giant suitcases onboard and were asking where the smoke rooms were.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We're on our way to LGA tomorrow morning (arriving mid-afternoon). I assume that things are (reasonably) back to normal there. We had already opted for a car service over the subway, and now it sounds like a good choice.

On the plus side of all of this, all 8 of our upgrades (2 people x 4 segments) have already cleared

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:49 am

Does anyone have a good insight on getting to Kips Bay area (26th and 2nd ave) around noon tomorrow from LGA? Normally I would probably spring for a cab, or I would take the M60 to 125th and take the 4/5/6 down, but the green line is off south of 42nd and the traffic likely would make the cab very pricey... and take forever.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icarus8
Does anyone have a good insight on getting to Kips Bay area (26th and 2nd ave) around noon tomorrow from LGA? Normally I would probably spring for a cab, or I would take the M60 to 125th and take the 4/5/6 down, but the green line is off south of 42nd and the traffic likely would make the cab very pricey... and take forever.
Welcome to Flyertalk. I would suggest a car service in this case. We use Dial7, but there are others as well.

Edit: This may not work as Dial7 are not accepting new reservations until Tuesday, it seems.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Nov 2, 2012 at 9:34 am
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:47 pm
Suspended

JFK AA this afternoon - plenty of taxis - no traffic to the city. That said the car service driver said gas is an issue and has been getting worse. That could impact the current situation which was better than usual.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite a few articles discussing the deteriorating supply of gasoline in the NYC region:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...171031713.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2065918.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/new-...ngry-1C6835010
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
That said the car service driver said gas is an issue and has been getting worse. That could impact the current situation which was better than usual.
Agreed. I have a $5 off coupon for my car service, and I'm not planning on using it. With the gas issues and higher prices, they're going to get squeezed on this, and I don't want to make it worse for them.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Agreed. I have a $5 off coupon for my car service, and I'm not planning on using it. With the gas issues and higher prices, they're going to get squeezed on this, and I don't want to make it worse for them.

Cheers.
I just gave my guy a $20 tip. I wanted to reward him for charging me the correct fare and coming out to work. Normally I tip $10, so an extra $10 isn't going to rock his world, however, I could tell he really appreciated it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I just gave my guy a $20 tip. I wanted to reward him for charging me the correct fare and coming out to work. Normally I tip $10, so an extra $10 isn't going to rock his world, however, I could tell he really appreciated it.
Yeah, extra tip is a given for this. I just want to be supportive of the company as well. I'm sure the margins are already not high....and this has to hurt. That they're still honoring the reservations is a plus to me.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Welcome to Flyertalk. I would suggest a car service in this case. We use Dial7, but there are others as well.

Edit: This may not work as Dial7 are not accepting new reservations until Tuesday, it seems.

Cheers.

Ah, thanks anyways. For future reference - what does a car service usually cost into manhattan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.