Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by dfotn
The FA on the OP's flight still could have handled the situation better. On that my opinion has not changed.
On that I agree completely!^
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by steve32
If she's keeping it contained in a carrier, I don't think anyone would have any problem with that. She can put the carrier on her lap and reach in to pet it (except during take-off and landing), and we are still happy.

It's roaming the cabin, rubbing up against other pax and spreading it's dander around, and urinating and defecating on the carpeting that people have (IMHO) a legitimate problem with.

Steve
Hmmm...did OP make any comments about this kind of behavior? I don't recall seeing that. I thought it was the presence of the dogs that was an issue because of (percieved) increased exposure to dander. Most service/support animals are trained well enough not to exhibit the kind of behavior Steve32 talks about.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
How do you feel about a lovely baby versus a barking, flatulent dog with exceedingly loose bowels on board?
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
How do you feel about a lovely baby versus a barking, flatulent dog with exceedingly loose bowels on board?
Of all the things I’ve smelled onboard an aircraft, pet flatulence has got to be the least common.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by N965VJ
It could’ve been worse! Anyone remember the emotional support pig?
Not only do I remember it, I sat 2 rows behind it on a US flight from PHL to SEA. It did not resemble Babe but was at least 250 lbs and was in the 1st row bulkhead, in First. I also followed it down the jetway as I boarded and it left little piggy pellets along the way. All I could think is thank goodness I didn't have a rolling bag with me. The whole five hours on that plane were very odd, to say the least. I would have killed for a therapy dog instead!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
The person who requires the abscence of the animal is not covered by the ADA, and hence would be reacommodated on the next flight if they are unable to travel in the cabin with the service animal
Unless, of course, the person's animal phobia is deemed to be a disability within the meaning of the ADA.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PT22064
Unless, of course, the person's animal phobia is deemed to be a disability within the meaning of the ADA.
That's correct, except it is the ACAA that controls, not the ADA. Phobia is a listed disorder in the DSM. I'm going to have to get that letter for my wife.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HH Dia, SPG PP, Delta-Plat
Originally Posted by cAAribmorpho
Babies don't cause allergies
I disagree, I'm allergic to babies. They make me want to perform some violent acts against them and their oblivious parents.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've been thinking of getting an emotional support horse. Anyone out there allergic to miniature horses?

Why limit yourself to miniature horses? Here's a program that uses full size horses for therapeutic purposes although they do not accompany the participants outside of the facility.

Can you imagine Big Brown in first class?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I was under the impression Service dogs/therapy dogs require documentation to ride in the cabin. Interestingly, as long as they have the documentation, they do not need to be accompanied by the person(s) who need the service/therapy--the person doesn't need to be "documented" just the dog. Meaning you could see a service dog in training with a trainer or some other handler, perhaps someone "delivering" the dog to it's new home, etc and not with anyone who was "differently abled" in any way.

I recently saw a large dog walk by me into coach. He was very calm and well behaved and seemed like he was used to the drill. I had occasion to speak to the person flying with him lafter the flight and I asked why the dog was able to ride in the cabin and if I recall correctly he said the dog was a search and rescue dog. I am not positive though, my memory could be faulty--it may have been a therapy dog. Anyway--don't know if the dog had a seat (as I was in F) but I know the handler made a point of saying that animals need documentation as working dogs to ride in the cabin. (beyond the small pet in carrier scenario)

I have no problem with a larger service/working dog who was well trained to be in public, though obviously horror stories abound about pets who were not trained or really ready to fly in the cabin. Honestly? I would LOVE to be able to take my golden retriever with me on trips--but I would never subject him to flying as cargo, so he stays home. Maybe someday he'll be a certified therapy dog. :-:
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
i'm afraid that emotional support animals are slowing down darwinism...
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not to keep beating this post to death, but in my strange days of travel yesterday a man showed up a the LGA/DFW gate with a very dirty and mangy looking German Shephard that had a sign on it not to pet the dog as it was an emotional service support animal. Both the owner and dog looked like they were lacking in hygiene (did not get close enough for a smell test).

At any rate, both ended up in F. Luckily, for that flight I was in the back of the bus. My luck, I would end up their seat mates.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Can I bring my emotional support individual with me?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Can I bring my emotional support individual with me?
Mine is Jessica Alba. Now I just need to get her (and my wife) to go along with this

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:00 am

Programs: AA USair, AirTran A+, Delta skymiles, Marriott Rewards
Smile Happy New Year!..thnks for the info and a lot of laughs...

Recovering from a terrible first long trip with my self appointed emotional support dog, I WAS ready to sue the airline last night..Ended the trip with the last leg by rental car after what I considered abusive treatment...I apologize now...So many good posts in reply to your post, some very poignant and some hysterical! I've been searching FAA regs, and googling "emotional support animals" and came upon this forum...What a wonderful New Years Eve, seriously...What clever travelers you are...I won't sue the airline now...Just because they refused my documents with a letter from Dr. X, "her" doctor, (the vet), as improper documentation..told me she was NOT a service animal, removed me and my 28 lb. beautifully mannered, brilliant, 12 year old four-legged significant other from the previously assigned bulkhead seat where we rested quietly and comfortably...We were first told to exit the plane..then to take a seat in row nine center..then to leave the plane again..then again seated, I mean thrown. And best yet, threatened with being greeted by the police at our destination if we made trouble. I apologize...I had never heard of an emotional support animal..I knew only because another airline agent ,when I mentioned I had a dog I never left and just couldn't put in cargo, asked if she was an emotional support dog..."Emotional support dog?" I asked.."Yes, an emotional support dog...Is she an emotional support dog?" "Oh, oh yes.
And so it began...I had health certificate, shot record, letter from "her doctor" as I had been told to have, and this was the third leg of my round trip!....But, I apologize...to all of you who responded to the original post...I love the one about the small horse, or the pig, or best yet "could my wife sit in my lap and fly free?"...Anyway, I have learned a lesson...and maybe someday they will have pet friendly flights for us canine-o-philes. I do agree that crying babies and diseased people are often more irritating, but I was breaking the rules..To those of you who do not like to fly with animal dander, I apologize...thank you for the New Years lectures and laughs...(PS..she remained huddled in her carrier under the seat panting for 2 1/2 hrs, not a peep...I'm proud of her...and we had our adventure)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.