Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:52 am

The so called "emotional support animal" is a dicey subject even within the "legitimate" service animal community. I've been volunteering for a guide dog organization for the past 8 years, and the whole emotional support animal and their right to access to various establishments are indeed confusing.

Unless the law has changed recently, emotional support animals do not have the same access rights as other service animals such as guide dogs/seizure dogs/diabetic dogs/hearing dogs/mobility assistant dogs. In fact, most handlers of these service animals should tell you that it is not the dogs that have rights, but it is the handlers who have the rights to access establishments with their dogs. The airline or the establishment can ask for written medical proof that he/she needs emotional support animal if the customer tried to enter with an "emotional support dog". I've read the OP's post several times, and it doesn't sound like the dogs were actual "working" dogs but pets. It could have been that the FA was a dog person or was misinformed about how to deal with "emotional support animal" issue. I think this is an issue the OP should pursue further because the customer service response email sounds like a total cop out.

I don't know that the airline can move or reassign a passenger with the service animal because there is a passenger with dog allergies in the same cabin. (When I refer to "service animal", I mean actual service dogs such as guide dogs or hearing dogs.) The FA can try to sit them apart as far as possible, but the FA cannot move the passenger traveling with the service animal. I know it's frustrating, but sometimes it is also out of the airline's hands as well because the passenger is not required to notify the airline that they are flying with the service animal.

Not everyone likes dogs and would care to fly on a plane with dogs. However, I've flown often with my guide dogs in training, and most handlers try darn hard to make sure that the animals, usually dogs, are clean and well behaved. An organization such as the one that I volunteer with most definitely will not tolerate any type of misbehavior from their dogs or puppies that will send negative message about their dogs because it hurts those handlers who live with service animals. Most service animal training schools have specific protocols to follow during air travel. I hope that incidents such as this do not turn people off from all service animals in cabin.

I realize that some people doubt the need for certain medical assistant dogs such as seizure dogs or diabetic dogs, but one of the dogs in my group that didn't make as a guide dog recently became a diabetic detection dog for a 12 year old girl with insulin dependent juvenile diabetes. These dogs just don't become diabetic detection dogs over night, but the training period is usually about 1 year once the dogs are accepted to the program. (Guide dogs are usually 2 years or older by the time they start working with visually impaired people.) It is amazing to see these dogs in action. I attended a presentation by a diabetic detection dog training group where most people were parents with insulin dependent children. One of the dogs alerted in the middle of the presentation. More and more of these diabetic detection dogs are going to camps for insulin dependent children to work/train. These dogs walk through the cabins in the middle of the night & alert counselors of drop in insulin level, and the accuracy level is about 96%.

Sorry for such a long post, but I do sympathize with the OP. I also wanted to share with other posters who are as upset as I am about this "emotional support animals" that this issue isn't ignored by most organizations that actually train and provide service dogs. We are as frustrated as you are, and it makes us angry to see that ignorant people will push the law to benefit them.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dayone
Thank you, doctor.
YVW.

Do you need a certification for your ES animal? Call for an appointment
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
I usually have no allergic problems if the dogs/cats are in a carrier and under a seat. In those cases, there's very little dander flying about. But these dogs were moving all over the row.

And to the person who asked, yes, I had allergy medicine with me. But pills take a while to kick in and don't treat the causes of allergies, they just help you deal with the symptoms. Towards the end of my flight, the itchy, watery eyes got better, but I was still really congested....

I really do think these were show dogs. They kept chatting with the flight attendant about the different categories of dogs in a dog show, and how they're based on the height of the dog (up to its shoulders). They even corrected the FA who incorrectly (apparently) thought that dog shows decided which category a dog goes into (like toy, etc) by weight.
For the most part, I believe they were pulling a fast one if both people had to have a dog. However, if they have the required documentation, the airline can't really do much. Did you try to change seats with anyone? I also believe that it is possible for a show dog to also be an emotional support dog.

I don't see why the ADA can't support people who are alleric to animals.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by PTravel
I have an emotional support wife. Can she fly free and sit on my lap?
Coffee over the keyboard again
Can we get AA to fly to Australia so I can get my emotional support crocodile to come with me.Out of water he sleeps 99% of the time,eats the other 1%.I am sure a psychiatrist friend will write the apprpriate note.
Seriously though couldn't the FA just gone to the rear row of F and asked if anyone wanted to swap with the OP(presuming that was far enough away to at least ameliorate the allergy symptoms).
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by drron
Coffee over the keyboard again
Can we get AA to fly to Australia so I can get my emotional support crocodile to come with me.Out of water he sleeps 99% of the time,eats the other 1%.I am sure a psychiatrist friend will write the apprpriate note.
Seriously though couldn't the FA just gone to the rear row of F and asked if anyone wanted to swap with the OP(presuming that was far enough away to at least ameliorate the allergy symptoms).
AA has codeshares to Australia... but doesn't to be offering the special 2 for 1 sale QF is offering for flights starting in Feb. Damn.... the fares are in S class, so only 50 percent AA miles.. but it looks like they get 100 percent in QF's programme.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Maybe the person in 6A was not allergic to dogs, and if asked nicely may have switched with you.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by drron
Evidently it was just too much trouble.

FWIW-I (would like to) think the couple was scamming.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
We live in an age of allergies. You could set off a really nasty attack by eating as little as a peanut butter sandwich or having the warmed nuts in the cabin with your drink. I really think that whilst this is unfortunate, there are so many triggers that can set off other people. Perfume comes immediately to mind. I use perfume myself - I use it so that it gives a pleasant odour and not that I have been marinading in it over night.

I am not sufficiently competent or know enough about Emotional Support Animals but this I will ask. What happens in an emergency? I can see the dogs getting in the way. We do evacuation proceedures assuming that the only livestock is human.

Guide Dogs for the Blind is another matter - but two dogs seems a bit excessive to me.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PTravel
Very interesting question. Mrs. PTravel has a severe phobia of cats. When we're outdoors, we have to cross the street if she spots one, and she'll never visit the homes of any of our friends who have cats unless she has assurances at the door (while standing behind me) that the cat is locked up securely in a bedroom.

I'm sure our doctor would write a letter certifying that Mrs. PTravel's mental health needs require that she fly in a cat-free cabin.

So who wins?
Oh dear, I sincerely hope Mrs. PTravel never boards a plane when I have my 22 lb. Maine Coon cat as a carry on. (He gets to visit grandma in Massachusetts every summer and Christmas).
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
I see this as similar to those with peanut allergic reactions. I'm on many SWA planes, have heard multiple times "my kid is allergic to peanuts can you not serve them" then the FA's serve them anyways. (and peanut reactions can be deadly if serious)

Was on a flight from ORD to MCI and there was a military service dog (bomb sniffing dog) AA let that board and sit in the bulkhead.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Casts some doubt on claims that crated animals don't trigger allergic reactions and that non-crated animals do trigger them.
Especially when you consider that the idiots in charge of the TSA (an oxymoron if there ever was one) insist that animals traveling in a carrier in the cabin come out of the carrier when going thru 'security'. Anyone who has to carry an animal thru the WTMD is also going to be covered w/dander from the animal for the duration even though the animal may go right back into the carrier on the other side.

If you are that allergic to animal dander, & I can sympathize as I am, too, then call AA a few hours before your flight & ask if there are any animals booked; if yes, take your pills early enough to allow them to kick in. Same thing if you see an animal in the gate area; take your pills then & let them kick in. You're an adult-take some responsibility for your own actions, or lack thereof.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It could’ve been worse! Anyone remember the emotional support pig?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:20 am

Question? If Service/support animals get the Bulkheads to allow them room to have the animals at their feet. What happens if the Bulkhead is to occupied by FAM?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapsmith
Question? If Service/support animals get the Bulkheads to allow them room to have the animals at their feet. What happens if the Bulkhead is to occupied by FAM?
Bulkheads aren't among sky marshals' favorite seats, so that's unlikely.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by brp
The rule, while it does seem silly to me as well is, apparently, a rule that AA (and that FA) must follow. Had it been a seeing eye dog, the OP would still have had the same allergy problems, but we'd not have been as judgmental toward the other passengers.
An excellent perspective brp. Irrespect of our individual opinions about "emotion support" animals, it is a very valid point. Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.