Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traditional Meal Times on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Traditional Meal Times on AA?

AA says on flights over 2 hours that operate within traditional meal times, B,L or D will be served in First Class. Flights over 2.5 hours that operate outside of traditional meal times will be served a snack.

I'm booked on AA 2081 from DFW-YYC in F. The flight leaves at 10:45 am and arrives at 1:35 pm (2:35 pm DFW time). The meal is a snack. This is a 4 hour flight so I guess AA must consider 10:45 to 1:35 outside traditional lunch time. When do you suppose Arpey traditionally eats lunch?

I guess I'll just pack a lunch and be done with it.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Other posters will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 'snack' is usually something like a turkey croissant with a small salad. Which, to me, is a light meal. It's just not a hot meal.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
It still would be nice to get a reasonably reliable list of what counts as "meal time" to AA.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There's really not much (any?) difference between a mid-con lunch and snack flight.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
It still would be nice to get a reasonably reliable list of what counts as "meal time" to AA.
I completely agree. I am tired of getting screwed by random meal times on the TUS->DFW (and return) which on most occasions means NOTHING but nuts and alcohol with a cookie to wash that down.

W T F times does Arpey and the bean counters use for meal times? Is it DMT (Dallas Mean Time) or some other random time used??

The masses want answers AA!

--DD73
Old Sep 1, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I did an MR in June where I went:
SFO-DFW-FLL-DFW-SFO in one day, upgraded to F on all 4 segments.
AA520(757) 6:00-11:35 the usual F bkfst choices
AA1494(MD) 12:45-16:45 the usual F lunch
AA509(MD) 17:20-19:25 typical F dinner
AA1575(757)21:20-20:50 snack

3 of these were inside of typical meal times, wouldn't you say (DMT or not ;-) but the last segment was a bit late for dinner in the USA, so a snack was served... makes sense to me.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
There's really not much (any?) difference between a mid-con lunch and snack flight.
Agreed.

Wed: DFW-BDL a scheduled "lunch" flight - warm nuts & beverage, then Turkey Croissant Sandwich w/salad or Cold Salmon salad; both came with cheese and crackers, warm cookie

Sun: BDL-DFW, a scheduled snack flight (2:20 pm departure) - warm nuts & beverage, then Turkey Wrap w/salad of BBQ chicken salad; both came w/cheese and crackers and cookie on the same tray
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Agreed.

Wed: DFW-BDL a scheduled "lunch" flight - warm nuts & beverage, then Turkey Croissant Sandwich w/salad or Cold Salmon salad; both came with cheese and crackers, warm cookie
FWIW, this was the "snack" on a PHX-ORD flight that left around 3:30PM. So I think "lunch" and "snack" are interchangeable.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dudleydog73
I completely agree. I am tired of getting screwed by random meal times on the TUS->DFW (and return) which on most occasions means NOTHING but nuts and alcohol with a cookie to wash that down.

W T F times does Arpey and the bean counters use for meal times? Is it DMT (Dallas Mean Time) or some other random time used??

The masses want answers AA!

--DD73
Got burned on this....flew STL-TPA last week 15:10-18:20 , asked twice about meal was told SNACK = light wrap of some kind. asked two gate agents at different airports just to check. Boarded flight and was served a soda and a cookie. very disappointed to waste 2 credits for that, and dang good thing I bought a sandwich in the airport because I was suspicious....
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by moman
Got burned on this....flew STL-TPA last week 15:10-18:20 , asked twice about meal was told SNACK = light wrap of some kind. asked two gate agents at different airports just to check. Boarded flight and was served a soda and a cookie. very disappointed to waste 2 credits for that, and dang good thing I bought a sandwich in the airport because I was suspicious....
Was it "snack" or "refreshment" B/c the cookie + drink is usually refreshment.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Refreshment also includes warm nuts. Sadly, "beverage service only" does not (e.g. DEN-DFW).
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
The gate agent said the code was 'R', so I think we found the culprit. I was lead to believe that I should expect a light wrap, but now I know. Thanks for the information.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Traditional meal windows used to be, and may (or may well not, given we are generally served breakfast on AA 1612, Lv SFO 09:30, Arv ORD 15:35) still be:

First Class Domestic Meal Windows:
Breakfast: 4 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Lunch: Noon – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Flights under 2 hrs must depart in or be in air during window.

Main Cabin Meal Windows:
Breakfast: 04:00 – 09:00
Lunch: 12:00 - 13:00
Dinner: 17:30 – 19:00
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JDiver
Traditional meal windows used to be, and may (or may well not, given we are generally served breakfast on AA 1612, Lv SFO 09:30, Arv ORD 15:35) still be:

First Class Domestic Meal Windows:
Breakfast: 4 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Lunch: Noon – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Flights under 2 hrs must depart in or be in air during window.

Main Cabin Meal Windows:
Breakfast: 04:00 – 09:00
Lunch: 12:00 - 13:00
Dinner: 17:30 – 19:00

Thanks for posting this. Now on a note of personal experience, I wonder how these flight taken recently fit into the formula:

AA1520 LAX-MIA Dep 1145AM - Served Lunch in F & J
AA295 MIA-ORD Dep 400PM - Served Dinner in F
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the meal windows JDiver.

Since AA2081 (10:45 - 1:35) is clearly within the lunch window, it must just be an anomaly. AA has no competition on this route which probably explains everything. They could probably run it as a beverage only flight and not lose too much business and they know it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.