Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staff On Facebook and not servicing the cabin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I have no idea what the AA FA's were doing. Perhaps it was work related? I do know a retail company (I have an investment in and it is not on the NYSE) that does not allow personal phone calls, text, anything on a personal devise during work time (breaks no problem). 1st time on the clock = warning, 2nd time = write up, 3rd time = fired. This is not a publicly traded company (but they do have almost 600 stores).

If these FA's were neglecting their duties to provide "excellent" customer service, perhaps they should find another line of work. A FA is required to have a GED and 4-6 weeks of training. It is not rocket science. Please get me a G&T and a refill if requested. Who do you think pays your check? - AA? AA gets the $$$ from myself and the other 120 people on the plane. DO YOUR JOB!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:19 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by kettle1
I have no idea what the AA FA's were doing. Perhaps it was work related?
This seems to be the big unknown. As some else posted (and I learned) seems they could have been working on their devices. They should not be ignoring customers, but if they were doing other flight related work it changes the story quite a bit.

I do know a retail company (I have an investment in and it is not on the NYSE)
??? Is this to try and tell the rest of us rubs you are a big deal?

that does not allow personal phone calls, text, anything on a personal devise during work time (breaks no problem). 1st time on the clock = warning, 2nd time = write up, 3rd time = fired. This is not a publicly traded company (but they do have almost 600 stores).
That's great - unless someone can confirm it don't think AA has this specific policy so the FA's are not in violation of it. I also think that policy is poor and does not foster great relations between mgmt and the workforce by playing policemen and punsihing someone every time they check a text.

If AA was not a public company (like the one you have an investment in, which is not listed on the NYSE.... ) maybe they would not be dealing with a unionized work force and could have this type of policy in place more easily.

If these FA's were neglecting their duties to provide "excellent" customer service, perhaps they should find another line of work.
Agree

A FA is required to have a GED and 4-6 weeks of training. It is not rocket science.
If the FAs were doing personal things on their devices I'm assuming they knew this was wrong. I would also guess AA's training covers how they are supposed to behave, they just choose not to.

Who do you think pays your check? - AA? AA gets the $$$ from myself and the other 120 people on the plane. DO YOUR JOB!
Yes I think they understand the basic economics of air travel, but that type of opinion (if voiced to the FA) is not likely to open many doors, or refills, IMHO.

Last edited by Steve_19; Mar 6, 2015 at 4:01 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I'd like to know exactly how the OP knows if the FAs were on their personal devices playing on FB or not. ....
As the OP subsequently posted:
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
To put speculation to rest, when I went to the Lav, I saw both their phones and the app was the Book of Face hence the Subject Line.

As pointed out, there are plenty of things that one can do on a phone without internet access but one thing they can't do (yet) is service the cabin - which is my complaint. If they were to alternate getting up and doing the round every 10-15 minutes, I would have no issues.
It seems FB is not the real issue ... it's the lack of ongoing/regular cabin service. As per thier OP:
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Hey AA - I am a OWE and your service on 1610 sucks right now. Paid bizo and your staff, two of them who should be tending to the cabin, have been on their cell phones face booking and what ever for the past 30 minutes. Currently sitting with glassware amassed. This is pathetic. ...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Doesn't really matter what they were doing, it is never acceptable, to be sitting around with empty glassware for 30 minutes. That creates a safety hazard. So even if FAs are only there for the safety of the passengers as they often like to tout, they failed in that task as well.

I've noticed the quality of onboard service is really declining. The good crews are becoming rarer, the mediocre crews are abundant, and the bad crews are increasing.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

How do I know it isn't work related? FA#1 shows FA#2 something on their phone and we have a good laugh. FA#2 shows FA#1 something and they have a good laugh. This goes on for a while. Are AA's procedure manuals that funny? I don't think so....unless perhaps they were reading the part in their training manual when it suggested that they service the cabin and ensure that the pax are tended to?

I am not unreasonable - as I have said all along, just do a walk about every 10-15 minutes and check up on things. Just one of them to get off their arse and do their job.

Good luck AA, this is only going to get worse.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I've noticed the quality of onboard service is really declining.
IMHO what is declining (for years now) is the quality of discourse on this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.