Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I think we will see HKG connected to both DFW and MIA (MIAHKG is actually the largest Southeast U.S.-Hong Kong market) within five years.
I seriously doubt that we will ever see MIA-HKG. It would be an extremely long flight, in the same general distance range as NYC/LAX-SIN, where SQ could not get the economics to work despite a lower cost base and (what I assume is) much, much higher O&D demand.

DFW, maybe, but I think the real demand to/from HKG is with the financial sector out of JFK, ORD and LAX.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
DFWHKG is around 20 people per day in each direction.

I think we will see HKG connected to both DFW and MIA (MIAHKG is actually the largest Southeast U.S.-Hong Kong market) within five years.
Really, at this point, any AA-operated non-stop to Asia to MIA would be welcome.

(I think Cathay is rumored to be interested in operating DFW-HKG.)

This might be getting kind of off-topic for a merger thread, though.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Neither you nor I know O&D for HKG but we do have to add in SE feeder flights into DFW and onward travel to KUL; SIN; BKK; Shenzin; etc.
Of course either us can know. it's easily available public information from required government reporting. It's just not a big market. It would be mostly connecting traffic. Now can they make that work is another question. It's just not a big O&D market.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by grahampros
Of course either us can know. it's easily available public information from required government reporting. It's just not a big market. It would be mostly connecting traffic. Now can they make that work is another question. It's just not a big O&D market.
Right - but still lots of connecting passengers (people like me from RDU for example). What is more profitable to AA: routing people through CX to HKG or routing people on AA metal? Sometimes I route through DFW-NRT onward to SE Asia. That's JL on a longer second leg. What does it mean for AA if I fly on to HKG on AA metal and then onto SE Asia on CX metal. What does that mean for partnerships with CX and JL? Heck, we can throw MH in the mix soon. You could do AA metal to NRT and then MH metal to KUL for example. But, NRT-KUL could be on JL metal. You could also route CX through HKG. Or on a today non-existent AA metal flight to HKG. I honestly don't know the answer, and you can see it gets complicated quickly.

Anyway, my point is it's more than O&D in DFW. O&D is a factor (maybe AA starts its own JKF-HKG or LAX where there is more O&D). But there is a complex feeder network to SE Asia plus general HKG traffic across all AA cities. DFW has more feeders but less O&D.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Good question - I have no idea.

AA went to war with the pilots, in part, to eliminate contractual limits on duty day, and today, AA is free to schedule any flight it wants, within FAA duty day limits. If the plane can fly there nonstop, then AA can unilaterally (w/o pilot consent) begin the route.
Point of clarification - it wasn't pilot consent that AA was missing before, but rather union consent - not the same thing. I was chatting with a pilot and a FA on an ORD-PVG flight last summer and both were quite annoyed that a flight AA had tried to implement wasn't allowed by the union. According to them, AA had tried to implement a DFW-CAN route a couple years back and was denied by the union because it was a bit too long under the old contract. A lot of pilots and FAs would have loved to have that flight available.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dmbtr3
... (maybe AA starts its own JKF-HKG or LAX where there is more O&D) ....
I don't see AA going head-to-head against CX at this point, despite the apparently high demand from the NYC area. Sure, AA does compete directly with JL, but JL was on very shaky ground just a few years ago. As I said, though, I could easily see AA initiating DFW/HKG.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't see AA going head-to-head against CX at this point, despite the apparently high demand from the NYC area. Sure, AA does compete directly with JL, but JL was on very shaky ground just a few years ago. As I said, though, I could easily see AA initiating DFW/HKG.
AA has an ATI with revenue sharing with JL; there's no competition on the TPAC legs, and they don't overlap on any non-TPAC routes.

Also, without the issue of interlining fares (which seems to drive up prices on CX a lot), O/D is probably less of an issue for AA on DFW-HKG where you'd be getting one-stop fares through DFW wherever it would be a shorter domestic leg than ORD or the west coast.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:02 pm

Sure, AA does compete directly with JL
No, they don't. That's the point of their JV.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
Point of clarification - it wasn't pilot consent that AA was missing before, but rather union consent - not the same thing. I was chatting with a pilot and a FA on an ORD-PVG flight last summer and both were quite annoyed that a flight AA had tried to implement wasn't allowed by the union. According to them, AA had tried to implement a DFW-CAN route a couple years back and was denied by the union because it was a bit too long under the old contract. A lot of pilots and FAs would have loved to have that flight available.
Well, the pilots elect their union leadership.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, AA does compete directly with JL, but JL was on very shaky ground just a few years ago. As I said, though, I could easily see AA initiating DFW/HKG.
Originally Posted by nkedel
AA has an ATI with revenue sharing with JL; there's no competition on the TPAC legs, and they don't overlap on any non-TPAC routes.
Here's the AA press release announcing the joint venture from January 11, 2011:

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3119

As I said, though, I could easily see AA initiating DFW/HKG.
I'd bet against it. AA may intiate DFW-HKG, but unless there are a lot of DFW-only small town HKG-bound passengers, it would make more sense to fly from a city with a lot of O&D (like LAX) and make those 20 DFW and unknown number of small-town DFW-only passengers O&D passengers connect at LAX.

Sure, that would require some of those small-town HKG passengers double-connect, but the higher O&D city will attract more nonstop fares (which tend to be higher). As I've said before, if DFW-HKG made a lot of financial sense, then wouldn't CX be all over that and flying from DFW already?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I stand corrected on the joint business arrangement, I had overlooked it. But part of the reason is that I've always been skeptical of these, including the one with BA. Do they really share the revenue in a metal-neutral manner? How is it allocated? 50/50? I get the coordinating schedules, etc., but I'm still not sold on the complete financial metal-neutrality of these arrangements.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here's the AA press release announcing the joint venture from January 11, 2011:

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3119
Interesting; I did not realize that the US-China routes (where there is no non-stop overlap) were covered by the ATI.

As I've said before, if DFW-HKG made a lot of financial sense, then wouldn't CX be all over that and flying from DFW already?
Differences in owning the feeder network and codesharing for it. Also, CX might well be considering it when the 787 comes in -- that will change the economics a bit on those longer routes.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I stand corrected on the joint business arrangement, I had overlooked it. But part of the reason is that I've always been skeptical of these, including the one with BA. Do they really share the revenue in a metal-neutral manner? How is it allocated? 50/50? I get the coordinating schedules, etc., but I'm still not sold on the complete financial metal-neutrality of these arrangements.
I also find it interesting that most TATL J, F saaver awards on aa.com tend to be on BA metal, which incur hundreds in fees.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Interesting; I did not realize that the US-China routes (where there is no non-stop overlap) were covered by the ATI.
I'm not certain why that is, but when AA announced DFW-ICN, they mentioned it would be covered as part of the JL JV, as well.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by nall
I'm not certain why that is, but when AA announced DFW-ICN, they mentioned it would be covered as part of the JL JV, as well.
Two things come to mind:

(1) JL and AA would compete to some extent on Korea to US flights, e.g. ICN-NRT-ORD versus ICN-DFW-ORD.
(2) It's pretty common for business travelers to hit multiple Asian cities on one visit, e.g. MIA-DFW-ICN-NRT-ORD-MIA, where it would make sense for JL and AA to offer a coordinated fare and product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.