Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Or the largest bank in the us hq.
Hunh? JP Morgan Chase is HQ'd out of NYC with its retail and consumer out of Chicago. BofA is number two - but why does that really matter?

Wal-Mart is far larger, but Bentonville doesn't have an airport to speak of, and GE's nearest major airport is over an hour away from its headquarters, and closer to 2 hours to get to the NYC airports - IBM is in the same boat. Stamford, Connecticut has more financial workers than Charlotte does (and has the world's largest trading floor), and similarly has poor airport access.

Airports transport people who pay money, and just because somebody's company is headquartered somewhere only means that there are people there, not necessarily that there are more of them than somewhere else without a corporate HQ or anything else. It's why the Concorde was most profitable JFK/LHR as the only route with the necessary concentration of millionaires on either end that ran trans-oceanic to support the Concorde fleet; without that, the entire fleet became unprofitable.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
CLT does have something really big coming its way that no other airport can claim. CLT has just sign Honey Boo Bo as its goodwill ambassador to travelers. Big score CLT!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:20 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
CLT does have something really big coming its way that no other airport can claim. CLT has just sign Honey Boo Bo as its goodwill ambassador to travelers. Big score CLT!
Hahaha! Hilarious!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by FWAAA
So if AA added LAX-HKG, when would that flight naturally board? Probably about 1:00 am to 2:00 am, when there's lots of gate space at T4.
Why on earth would that be natural? Because AA is naturally stupid?

CX has their flight in the late evening and gets in early morning. But, most flights to HKG from the US leave morning to mid-day and arrive in the early evening in HKG. You can still make connections in the evening bank of CX flights, but for the significant bunch of people going to HKG, that's way easier than going to LAX at 2am... and think of the return flight...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jmr50

CX has their flight in the late evening and gets in early morning. But, most flights to HKG from the US leave morning to mid-day and arrive in the early evening in HKG. You can still make connections in the evening bank of CX flights, but for the significant bunch of people going to HKG, that's way easier than going to LAX at 2am... and think of the return flight...
Actually 2 of CX's 3 LAX-HKG flights are late night departures from LAX and early morning arrivals into HKG.

From JFK - same thing 2 of CX's 4 JFK-HKG (one being the YVR stopover) are evening departures arriving in the early morning.

From SFO, 2 of the 4 departures (2x CX, 1x SQ, 1x UA) are evening departure, arriving in the morning.

Different people have different needs/preferences. But a significant portion of US-HKG travel is on these midnight departures. Not sure you can say "most" are day flights.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I really think you may be missing a firm understanding of the economics over at US. The irrelevance of Honey Boo Boo aside, CLT is US's largest and most profitable hub.

1. It is a fortress hub where US controls over 90% of the total traffic.
2. It is a logical connecting point for north-south traffic on the east coast
3. It is a logical east-west connecting point for the southeast
4. It is growing it's TATL and South American route network
5. CLT is one of the largest financial centers in US outside of NY
6. Region is in massive growth mode (still)

I'm not sure how one could compare CLT to MEM or to think that CLT is a redundant hub to any of AA's hubs but I'd be curious to hear your opinion.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I really think you may be missing a firm understanding of the economics over at US. The irrelevance of Honey Boo Boo aside, CLT is US's largest and most profitable hub.

1. It is a fortress hub where US controls over 90% of the total traffic.
2. It is a logical connecting point for north-south traffic on the east coast
3. It is a logical east-west connecting point for the southeast
5. CLT is one of the largest financial centers in US outside of NY
6. Region is in massive growth mode (still)

I'm not sure how one could compare CLT to MEM or to think that CLT is a redundant hub to any of AA's hubs but I'd be curious to hear your opinion.
Two notes- the Honey Boo Boo marketing campaign slogan at CLT may be something along the lines of:
" Birds of the same feather fly together"

I am sure NWA said the same about MEM, huge transportaion center (CLT shrinking finance center), feed the growing southeast, etc. We know what happened to MEM after Delta took control. A AMR/LCC marriage will have huge debt to pay and immediate pressure on near term results. This will mean CLT will be shrunk, DFW amd MIA will grow.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:31 am
hmv

Just announced: American made an operating profit of $ 494 million over 2012. Net loss over 2012 is nearly $ 2 billion. Revenue per seat-mile is up 1.6% and without the new CBA in place!

Hopefully this is a clear signal to the UCC: We don't need US Scareways!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Two notes- the Honey Boo Boo marketing campaign slogan at CLT may be something along the lines of:
" Birds of the same feather fly together"

I am sure NWA said the same about MEM, huge transportaion center (CLT shrinking finance center), feed the growing southeast, etc. We know what happened to MEM after Delta took control. A AMR/LCC marriage will have huge debt to pay and immediate pressure on near term results. This will mean CLT will be shrunk, DFW amd MIA will grow.
NWA merged with Delta Which had Atlanta. Atlanta is something like the75th largest city in the world yet it has the worlds busiest airport. Is there a better SE us hub location for AA than charlotte? One would think it's the only alternative to Atlanta.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:53 am

+1

Why screw up a good thing with US' debt load and Parker's bribes to unions?

Originally Posted by hmv
Just announced: American made an operating profit of $ 494 million over 2012. Net loss over 2012 is nearly $ 2 billion. Revenue per seat-mile is up 1.6% and without the new CBA in place!

Hopefully this is a clear signal to the UCC: We don't need US Scareways!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

CLT is US's largest and most profitable hub.

As best I can tell from the Route Map on the US Airways web site and ExpertFlyer, US operates exactly 1 nonstop flight per day from CLT to South America (GIG).

To Central America, they appear to serve LIR, CZM and BZE nonstop from CLT, but only on weekends. CUN has 2 daily nonstops with some additional
service on weekends. MEX and SJO have one daily nonstop service each.
My guess is that with the exception of MEX and possibly SJO, these Central American flights are going to attract mainly low-yield leisure travelers and not the kind of high-yield business traffic that AA is going to be looking for to become more profitable.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
As best I can tell from the Route Map on the US Airways web site and ExpertFlyer, US operates exactly 1 nonstop flight per day from CLT to South America (GIG).

To Central America, they appear to serve LIR, CZM and BZE nonstop from CLT, but only on weekends. CUN has 2 daily nonstops with some additional
service on weekends. MEX and SJO have one daily nonstop service each.
My guess is that with the exception of MEX and possibly SJO, these Central American flights are going to attract mainly low-yield leisure travelers and not the kind of high-yield business traffic that AA is going to be looking for to become more profitable.
I think clt will loose south American flights to rio and Sao Paulo in merger. I think they will keep most of their carribean traffic. They may pick up an extra lhr flight, but will loose the Frankfurt flights. I take that flight quite often and the majority of the passengers on board seem to connect to other destinations with lh. That business will go to ba.

Do ba and aa share revenue on all European flights or just to lhr. How will ba feel about all of us' direct European flights out of Phl.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmr50
I honestly can't tell what your point is with the above comment.

My point in mentioning a possible departure time for a hypothetical AA metal flight to HKG was to point out that AA's T-4 at LAX has lots of space to accommodate a flight to HKG, if it chose to start flying LAX-HKG. AA's T-4 is more crowded during the middle of the day.

I have no idea of the ideal departure time for that hypothetical flight from LAX to HKG. The dominant carrier in that market has two late evening departures and one afternoon departure.

With the news yesterday that US will be moving to T-3 so that WN can have T-1 all to itself, that opens up a widebody-capable gate or two if/when US and AA combine.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Carolinian
+1

Why screw up a good thing with US' debt load and Parker's bribes to unions?
Why on earth would any company pay down debt right now?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by morrisunc

Do ba and aa share revenue on all European flights or just to lhr. How will ba feel about all of us' direct European flights out of Phl.
BA and US were close partners when US was first building its TATL business out of PHL. And back then US was a formidable competitor with their int'l F/J soft-product too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.