Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-“East” Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*

I just landed a couple of hours ago on AA6 (OGG-DFW), which was the first flight from Hawaii that started the new on-board service. I was in F and thought it useful for the forum to provide a rundown of the good, bad, and the ugly…

Good:

Bad:

Ugly:

While conjecture on my part, it feels as if this new setup was a compromise. It is as if American’s onboard planning team wanted to keep a sense of decorum, so they rolled out new china, different meal feels, etc. US Airways’ onboard planning team wanted to make it efficient, so the soft touches that made AA's Hawaii service unique have been removed in the sake of expediency. Maybe in a few weeks’ time some of the “bad” on this list might be resolved, but if not, the new setup definitely has lost that unique American touch that made First Class worth paying for on the Hawaii flights.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
                    Was there still the traditional fake orchid flower decoration on the tray like pmAA did on all Hawaiian flights?
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:40 am
                    Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
                    Was there still the traditional fake orchid flower decoration on the tray like pmAA did on all Hawaiian flights?
                    Good catch...forgot about that. No, it was a more standard decoration.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:44 am

Not cool I always liked the orchid flower thingy placed on top of the tray. It was a small 'crane' that was dyed with a light pink/lavender color and made the meal tray look much more attractive.

As for sundaes, makes zero sense because AA's website clearly, explicitly says customized sundaes for Hawaii-DFW flights. I would think a "customized" sundae would consist of toppings, no?

Between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) or Chicago (ORD) and Hawaii:

Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
                    Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
                    Bottle of water
                    Selection of snacks prior to arrival
                    (emphasis mine) Maybe the combination of this being a holiday weekend and being from an outstation (OGG has always been double-catered, I think) limited AA's ability to fully roll out the new service?

Did you take any pictures?

Edit: seems like you're not the only one somewhat dissatisfied. A Twitter complaint about HNL-DFW: link.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Sep 2, 2014 at 6:57 am Reason: added links
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:04 am
                    Original Poster

I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately. I know I should have on this one, so my apologies for that...

The sundae thing confused me too given they were very specific about messaging with the differences between AA vs. US. I suspect there might be some outstation issues, or maybe a holiday weekend, or maybe this is just the new norm. I'm sure those flying back from OGG or HNL in the next few days will have more input.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
                    Could be worse I guess. Scone and fruit sounds like the breakfast we got on HNL-DFW a few months ago, so that sounds "stable". Thanks for the report though. Probably only a matter of time until Dougie Air cuts Hawaii service completely.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
                    Hate to break it to you, but this sounds exactly like the standard US Hawaii service. The china you're referring to has been in US F and Envoy cabins for at least a year if not longer, and ice cream and sorbet has been served out of glasses for some time now as well.

The full plated breakfast pre-arrival is standard issue US service as well. Warm pastry, fruit, and yogurt. No tray linens, either. And meal served in one swoop, not in courses.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
                    New Hawaii First Class Service: Good, Bad, and the Ugly...

Thanks for the detailed review! Now, I know what to expect in a couple weeks. I agree it looks like a fair compromise.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
                    I've flown AA yearly to HNL since 1982, the last trip one year ago, and never received a "fake" (artificial) orchid. They always used real Dendrobium orchics, white with vivid purple, to decorate and garnish dishes. Nice touch but if they dropped that in a cut back, I'll live.

The biggest drop in quality with a cut back was when entrees changed from plated out to preloaded casserole dishes. The catering always tastes better when the vegetables are heated separately from the potato or rice and that is separate from the meat or other main item-the flavors don't intermingle like when all parts are heaped on the oval entree casserole plate, covered with foil, and reheated in the air. If they returned to plating each part out in the galley, from individual containers to a more restaurant sized entree plate, that is a huge quality enhancement.

Perhaps the single tray meal delivery on the overnight flight back to the mainland was to maximize sleep time? The service is over for those desiring the meal service when done this way so the lights may be dimmed and the cabin noise is at a minimum.

I have never had a full breakfast on eastbound from Hawaii-strict continental of pastry and juice and coffee to LAX, maybe fruit added to DFW when breakfast is even served-if most appear sleeping I've had crews who never look around carefully for awake pax who might want to eat and never had the "shall I wake you for breakfast?" solicitation or even disclosure it is available on a request basis. If they now offer hot entrees that is a big enhancement.

Sounds great if AA is actually putting a few more $$$ into the service of their premium cabin-I'm shocked frankly!
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:45 am
                    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
                    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Sundaes are now just a scoop of chocolate and vanilla ice cream with no toppings."

If there are no toppings, then they ain't "sundaes."
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
                    I flew DFW to HNL early in August and was rather impressed with the service on board but less so on the ground.

The salad and main entree were very good and it was a very real orchid that graced my tray.

I even found the seat surprisingly comfortable.

Returning on Friday from LIH to LAX and not having access to a lounge and then facing over 5 hours in a 757 was an unpleasant eye opener. There was no sundae on that flight.

Must say the sundae is a winner for me and I have been pleasantly surprised by AA catering both on the Hawaii services and most especially on the transatlantic services on the 777-300. The food was simply but well cooked and served nicely. The sundae or cheese option is absolutely fine for me and ticks all the boxes.

The wine choices are not great and white wine is not cold enough......they really should not call sparkling Californian wine "champagne" it's not.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
                    Thanks for report. We have flown AA FC DFW-HNL-DFW annually for ten years and to OGG direct 3 times. So were anxious to hear about any changes.

Sorry to hear of no separate salad service prior to entree, no tropical nut mix, no menus, and no sundae cart!!!

We understood from aa.com that custom made sundaes were staying on the DFW Hawaii non stops. Darn!

Also, the warm scones, fruit, and yogurt has been the pre arrival continental breakfast on the redeye return to DFW for several years now.

Hope this was a fluke and a possible catering issue out of OGG. And that sundae cart will appear on the DFW-HNL flights.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:23 pm

Oh, were duvets and pillows still offered? How about tablets and the Bose headset?
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:03 pm
                    Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
                    Oh, were duvets and pillows still offered? How about tablets and the Bose headset?
                    Yes, those were all still offered. I haven't flown US to Hawaii, so I'd be curious from others if they offer duvets, pillows, or any sort of personal IFE.
                    Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
                    Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
                    Yes, those were all still offered. I haven't flown US to Hawaii, so I'd be curious from others if they offer duvets, pillows, or any sort of personal IFE.
                    I think you know the answer....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.