Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
[Discussion]

This thread discusses changes to the combined carrier's meal policy. On Friday, 14 Nov 2014, the following e-mail was sent to AAdvantage frequent flyers:

this after an apparent record of the percentage of complaints received in response to earlier announcements (80% of complaints were about the meal cutbacks),

On Monday, August 4th, 2014, American and US Airways both announced their plans for the final aligned meal service effective September 1st, 2014 for both carriers. This Wiki will touch upon in detail the new meal windows, parameters, and what to expect moving forward.

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-999 miles (2 – 2:45 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

1,000 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to A321 transcons, listed below.)

*There is no meal service on flights that depart after 8:00pm, only beverages and a snack basket. There is also no meal service on flights that depart before 5:00am.

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on A321 transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO), although some members has clarified that LAX-MIA will continue to receive the same level of service. This still remains to be seen.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC, MEX (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL*, MCO, TPA*
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP, CAP, DCA (Effective 16-Oct-2014), IAD (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
*Flights between JFK and TPA/FLL do not currently operate.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It was reported from an internal source (but not formally announced) that American Eagle would be discontinuing plated meals and, instead, will offer snack boxes and/or chilled meal boxes on meal flights.

Based on the picture on the websites representing meal service, it is confirmed that American will use US Airways plates, bowls, and other servingware moving forward. Additionally, it has been speculated that tray linens will also be eliminated in lieu of the current US Airways paper tray liner. An AA Twitter representative, however, confirmed that buttonhole napkins would be here to stay.

Additionally on October 1st, American Eagle and US Airways Express flights will follow these same meal time frames with some variations to the service. Flights between approximately 176 and 999 miles will receive snack baskets, and meal flights will feature a chilled gourmet boxed meal. Some popular regional flights between approximately 700 and 999 miles will also receive a chilled gourmet boxed meal.

All information above has been gathered and/or copied from the AA website.

Links:
AA Meal Service
US Meal Service

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This section is purely vestigial, primarily concentrating on historical announcements prior to August 4th, showing a path from separate carrier policies to a combined policy.

On February 15, 2014, there was an internal announcement shared here, outlining changes to US Airways' meal policy, as well as a few minor changes on the AA side. The changes would occur in two phases: April and September.

April:
US Airways
The meal windows on US Airways has transitioned from the previous 3 1/2 hours and above window as of April 1st; now, they are serving meals on flights that are 2 hours and 45 minutes, and above (specified as 1,000 nautical miles in the announcement). Light snacks on flights under 2:45 hours has been added, featuring breakfast pastries and fresh fruit for morning flights, as well as finger sandwiches on later flights (known as Lite Bites). New meal window tiers has been added to standardize US Airways meal service:

• Less than an hour: Nut mix
  • 1 - 2 hours: Snack basket
  • 2 - 2:45 hours: Snack basket plus pastries/finger sandwiches (Lite Bites)
  • 2:45 hours - 3 1/2 hours: Meal service, no appetizer
  • 3 1/2 hours - 4 1/2 hours: Full meal, including an appetizer
  • 4 1/2 hours and above: Full meal service, accompanied by the snack basket

American
An expedited service for shorter, eastbound transatlantic flights (JFK-LHR/MAN/DUB) became the only choice in premium cabins. It was also announced that all eastbound transatlantic flights would receive a more streamlined service, but no visible differences has yet to be reported by FT members.

Over the course of this year (but all mentioned changes will discontinue on September 1st, with the exception of A321 transcons receiving three choices, as well as snack & brunch service for redeyes) a few notable improvements were made to transcontinental meal service, such as sorbets being offered as a breakfast/brunch dessert, supper service (an abbreviated dinner service without an appetizer and sundaes) that replaced snack service on redeyes, and three menu choices of entrees being offered instead of the previous two menu choices.

There were also a few cutbacks in the spring: on Flagship Transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX), wherein marinated anti-pasto was discontinued in 3-class First Class lunch/dinner service; and in International First Class, where the wine-tasting course, grey placemats, and grey water glasses were eliminated in May.

Historical Weekly Updates (shared from an internal source):
6/14

• Emphasis on being a leader, not a follower, according to Doug Parker.
  • Catering and cabin equipment review in progress.
  • FA involvement team to be created.
  • US/IB codeshare has started these past few days.
  • Three cycles of the revision for the joint certificate have been approved by the FAA. FAs now have inflight manual revisions.
  • MIA and JFK catering issues are still being addressed.
  • Visual presentation of the beef in the sandwich on the second meal service from Europe to the United States is being reviewed by F&B and catering in Europe.

6/21
  • Leadership conference focused on restoring AA to greatness.

Reply to negative feedback via website form: (3.5 hr flight RNO-ORD)

Thank you for contacting American. We know that meal options are important to our customers, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your comments about the changes we have made to our First Class meal program.

There are no plans to discontinue the signature services that have set American Airlines apart over the years. In fact, we are investing millions in our product. This includes the existing premium transcontinental service on select markets, and the offering of certain elements that customers have come to appreciate over time such as warm mixed nuts on all meal flights, cookies and premium desserts on longer flights.

Our new Domestic First Class service footprint provides opportunities to not only streamline service but also to enhance the quality of current food components: new salads and entrees. Product offerings are be aligned with the length of flight. For example, appetizers have been added on certain flights, and a new snack basket concept has been introduced on shorter flights. New meal tray elements to modernize presentation have been introduced, including new china and a stemless wine glass.

A component of these changes is to make consistent between American and US Airways the length of flight where a full meal service is offered. Effective September 1, traditional meal service is offered in First Class on flights operated by American that are 2:45 or longer. While this has removed the traditional meal service from some markets served by American, the changes implemented at US Airways earlier this year added meals to many US Airways markets that traditionally have not offered a full meal service.

On flights from 2 hours to 2:45 in length we offer our customers a "Lite Bites" basket with a variety of food options including tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads and sweet and savory snacks. We will, of course, continue to offer complimentary beverages and snacks for our First Class customers on all of our flights, including beer, spirits and our award-winning wine selection.
Print Wikipost

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by cova
Flew DCA-LAX nonstop, same food Teriyaki beef or mushroom ravioli. Only tasted it since we continued on QF in F to Australia (with excellent food). But I thought the food on AA was pretty bad. For us, no appetizer, even thought flight from DCA-LAX is longer than CLT to PHX.

Ice cream or cheese - but skipped both. The salad was so small it was really nothing.

AA used to have a menu with three choices and an appetizer. Why they just serve the standard midcon food on a transcon is beyond me.

Usually the transcon adds the appetizer, but apparently it has been eliminated from the DCA-LAX flights. The BOB food is much better.

But DCA is now being run by US Air folks, and on my flight the other day - they even forgot to cater the BOB food for coach (FA told me). US at DC is like a third world airline.

I wish AA would allow you to add say $20 for your flight when you order your food for a premium meal in F.
Definitely a miscater. All lunch/dinner midcons on AA are given appetizers, as well as transcons.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Definitely a miscater. All lunch/dinner midcons on AA are given appetizers, as well as transcons.
The appetizer issue was definitely a miscater in that case, but one question of clarification... The appetizer is only presented on lunch/dinner midcons over 1299 miles, right? All of my midcons since 9/1 have been just under 1299, so I've had a whole lot of bread plate lunch/dinner midcons.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by cova
I wish AA would allow you to add say $20 for your flight when you order your food for a premium meal in F.
Isn't that built into the price difference between Y and paid F?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Isn't that built into the price difference between Y and paid F?
One would have hoped but apparently not with DP & Co at the helm.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
One would have hoped but apparently not with DP & Co at the helm.
Snow storm in Buffalo... DP must have refused to pay Mr. Heat Mizer to keep it warm enough.
Nor'Easter on Wednesday... DP did it so he could cancel flights and screw up Thanksgiving.
NFC South getting into the Playoffs with a losing record... DP has the big hub in CLT, so must be his fault.
Global warming... DP.
Russia invading Ukraine... DP.
Great Recession... DP.
Heck, Great Depression... DP.

Driving AA to bankruptcy... pmAA (mis)management. (In reality, DP and the other CEO's had a hand in it too by forcing wage/working concessions on their workers, making AA no longer (wage) competitive.)

Meals were (way) better at US before the merger... maybe, these are pmAA guys trying to prove there worth making these crazy cuts. Maybe not.

I am not a huge DP fan - I liked US pm with America West, but, that time is long gone. So is pmAA.

The reality is the food was better at pmUS. The food was better at pmAA. So who is to blame for the latest 'food'? Answer is easy... every EXEC at the New AA.

Focusing your ire on DP is pounding sand. Much better to focus the effort on changing it with different premium product purchases - and letting AA know it! (I do.)

Any way, Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA.

and as always... Peace and Love. Peace and Love.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 110pgl
The reality is the food was better at pmUS. The food was better at pmAA. So who is to blame for the latest 'food'? Answer is easy... every EXEC at the New AA.
Focusing your ire on DP is pounding sand.
I'm thinking that you have absolutely no idea how a corporation works. There is only one CEO and he calls the shots. This is all on Parker.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Answer is easy... every EXEC at the New AA.
And from what group do 90% of these wonderful individuals hail (including everyone in the customer experience and F&B department)?

The reality is this is DPs company and he is the face of his management team (much like Obama is the face of his White House). While I have no doubt there are plenty of other executives at AA HQ who have had a hand in the trAAsh product now being offered, DP gets the blame as head of the company, and rightly so.

I have not purchased a single premium cabin ticket on AA since the devaluation of domestic and intercontinental products, nor do I have any plans to. I do have 8 SWUs to burn before March though, so I'm still married to AA for at least another 3 months as I have zero intention of letting any of them expire.

Oh, and a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
To the micro argument, there are dozens of failures in the new catering program (and a few wins too), and the failures are happening at all levels. Although I'm sure Hector Adler could have seen where the Miso Chicken recipe might not work inflight, I'm sure the tasting samples that his team was presented with (probably multiple times) weren't subjected to the same conditions that really made this entrée unfortunate, and the recipe failure here is at a level FAR lower than Hector. By contrast, the decision to prioritize the budget for other meal service elements over the tray linens -- is squarely at his feet. Sure, there are a LOT of problems in the new meal program, but they aren't literally all the fault of the highest levels.

To the macro argument, of course, the buck stops at the CEO. I thought that reference that someone posted earlier to "giving Hector bad direction" was certainly owning the type of control/vision the CEO has over the VP of Inflight. I doubt we're going to see a whole lot more backpedaling unless the level of complaints remains at least at this level for another 4-6 months, but at least he acknowledged that this isn't Mr. Adler's vision of "greatness".

Incidentally, the blame thing works both ways... When DP (either directly or indirectly) canned Sherri "Today we have a choice between a round calzone and a square calzone" Shamblin and replaced her with Mr. Adler, DP's stock went up with me significantly. Mr. Adler did some pretty impressive work at Eos, and was a shocking contrast to the calzones and powdered coffee creamer that SS was showering on everyone at the time. The same can be said for a lot of the talent DP started bringing in around that time -- Isom, Boda, etc.. That's the kind of leadership I have to give credit to -- balancing the dings for a low-quality product (though obviously not equally).
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:43 pm

I am impressed all the time when an airline treats PDB as a serious thing, and only ever experienced it on Delta. Even if you just pour 6 glasses of the same thing; walk through once and hand out the 6 while you collect orders from those who don't wish to have a pre-selected (for them) PDB. You know someone will snag the last one of the 6 by the time it makes it past all 12 or 16 people in business class on a 737 or MD80.

Right there you have 6 of your 12 or 16 passengers already satisfied and happy until 10k.

Originally Posted by Paladin12
My post-11/18 experience - I flew DCA-DFW last night and was thoroughly disgusted with the food and beverage service in F.

No PDB offered, despite flight being nowhere near full and FAs having plenty of time to chit chat in the galley during boarding. DL offers PDBs consistently, even on packed flights, so I really don't understand why AA can't seem to get its act together on this.

Once service began, it was so rushed that from beginning to end took about 30 minutes, if that. The cookie came out with the meal, so it was cold by the time I ate it. As for the meal itself, the salad appeared devoid of any dressing, but it turned out that there was a tiny amount of dressing well hidden under the tiny amount of greens. The teryaki beef and rice had the consistency of glue, which has been par for the course with any F entree the last few months. I didn't try the bread.

I could understand the rushed service if this were a redeye and people were going to sleep, but it was a 5:45 pm departure and a 3+ hour flight. That left a good two hours after the meal service, during which the FAs spent virtually all of their time in the galley having a very loud and apparently hilarious conversation.

I suppose I should be glad that I got food at all, and not the dreaded snack basket, but that's small comfort when the quality of the food and service is this bad. I'm honestly considering throwing my loyalty to DL. They're at least trying to step up their game, both on board and in the lounges. AA's focus at the moment seems to be on doing the minimum required. I'm willing to pay for a good F product, but this watered down version of what AA used to offer isn't worth the increased money or miles being asked for it. The new F is upgrade class, at best.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:46 pm

I don't think I have had the 738 business class product, but the ERJ175 business class vs MD80 business class - the ERJ175 feels fresher and newer than the MD80 business class.

I didn't mind it for the short flight - and could definitely handle it for longer flights.

Originally Posted by Miesque
Thank you so much for your comment because I have been doing the opposite (going with the 738s), will definitely have to give the E175 a try.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:48 pm

What would the ERJ145 on GRR-DFW and DFW-GRR receive for food? I see that DFW-ORD gets the full meal service. I would expect the full meal service on the GRR-DFW flight on AE?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm thinking that you have absolutely no idea how a corporation works. There is only one CEO and he calls the shots. This is all on Parker.
Do you seriously think that DP is actually going out to the test kitchens to sample the new menus? Do you think that he is even coming up with these menu ideas? He has department heads in charge of this. He's trying to merge two airlines into one operating carrier. There are so many things on his plate right now, that I doubt what will be served on a DFW-DCA lunch flight pops up on his radar. However, when these awful meal choices were brought to his attention, he told the people in charge to fix it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by factory81
What would the ERJ145 on GRR-DFW and DFW-GRR receive for food? I see that DFW-ORD gets the full meal service. I would expect the full meal service on the GRR-DFW flight on AE?
There is no first class on the ERJ-145, so no meals are offered. They do have some buy onboard items available. Unless its recently changed, they have a fruit and nut mix or a cheese and cracker tray.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
There is no first class on the ERJ-145, so no meals are offered. They do have some buy onboard items available. Unless its recently changed, they have a fruit and nut mix or a cheese and cracker tray.
Doh, of course. LOL. What was I thinking.....lol. ERJ175 will be the smallest plane with meal service. In other words - this route really sucks to fly.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Do you seriously think that DP is actually going out to the test kitchens to sample the new menus? Do you think that he is even coming up with these menu ideas? He has department heads in charge of this. He's trying to merge two airlines into one operating carrier. There are so many things on his plate right now, that I doubt what will be served on a DFW-DCA lunch flight pops up on his radar. However, when these awful meal choices were brought to his attention, he told the people in charge to fix it.
If he is going to be a successful business leader, then yes, he does need to know what is being served on DFW-DCA, ORD-LHR, MIA-LAX, and every flight. If he's going to delegate this to another individual, then he had better be damn sure that person knows what they are doing when he tells them to fix the problems. That clearly hasn't happened based on post 11/18 meals and the recently rolled out intercontinental meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.