Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PVG / Shanghai Pudong Int'l. Airport oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zoombee
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
PVG / Shanghai Pudong International Airport oneworld Lounges

Link to PVG airport information on aa.com

Link to PVG airport website

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

Terminal 2 Cathay Pacific and DragonAir Lounges

HOURS: 06.00 - 20:55 daily

NOTE: Eligible passengers departing on Cathay Pacific, DragonAir, American Airlines, British Airways and Finnair are directed here.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Complimentary PCs
      • Food and beverage

Link to review with photos by athlete Travel Sisters

Terminal 2 Shanghai Airport VIP (Contract) Lounge

NOTE: Operated by a third party. May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: Qantas, Qatar Airways. Accepts payment for two hour access from others.

HOURS: 06:00-02:00

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Food and beverage service
      • Smoking room
        • Showers

Terminal 1 SAA (Contact) Lounge

HOURS: 06.00 - 18:00 daily (unchecked since JAL Sakura lounge closed)

NOTE: Eligible passengers departing on Japan Airlines are directed here.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Food and beverage

Terminal 1 China Eastern (Contract) Lounge

NOTE: Operated by China Eastern. May be used only by eligible customers, including when travelling on: Malaysia Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, Qantas. Large two floor lounge with first class lounge to the right of reception.

HOURS: Daily: Until last flight departure

AMENITIES:
  • Wifi
  • Food and beverage service
  • Showers

This is the current thread on PVG oneworld lounges. AA moved its operations to Terminal 2 in March 2009 and provides first and business class passengers with access to the CX (Cathay Pacific) / KA (Dragonair) lounge, which opened in April 2008 when CX moved to the new terminal. Prior to that, AA operated out of T1 and provided premium passengers with access to a contract lounge. As such, several pre-March 2009 posts in this thread are outdated.

More information on the now defunct JL lounge can be found by searching {PVG lounge} and the trailing thread containing outdated information from this thread. However, note that those threads contain outdated information about the CX lounge and AA contract lounge.

Print Wikipost

PVG / Shanghai Pudong Int'l. Airport oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Originally Posted by JimAtl
Is it true that a pass obtained at check-in needs to be presented in order to enter the lounge? Previously when I passed through PVG I never felt the urge to stop by the AA lounge there, but with its relocation I think I may check it out the next time.
The CX/KA lounge is indeed very convenient to the D-69 departure gate - maybe 50 yards at most.

At checkin, a lounge pass is included with the boarding pass. At the lounge, I was asked for both boarding pass and lounge pass. I don't know whether one could talk his/her way into the lounge with boarding pass and status only, but I don't see why not.

Per squall1's warning "(Side WARNING - don't buy liquids at the duty free, they'll nab you unless you get lucky and have them well buried"

The gate check police removed at least 7 beers and one soda from the bag of one pax that raided the lounge refrigerator. Later on board, the pax triumphantly produced one beer and stated 'they didn't find all of them'.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
shanghai lounge question

at pudong with mrs soho in cathay/dragon lounge waiting for aa pvg-ord. strongly recommend the made to order dumpling soup--excellent. but mrs soho wanted a capaccino afterwards and as the one in the lounge was totally thin gruel i strolled over to the other first class lounge next door to see if i could grab her a better one.

it had a large quantas/one world sign outside so i showed my exec platinum card to the receptionist who greeted me effusively with "no one world. you no come in. go away. go next door."

i held up my card to the one world sign in front of her desk but she was not impressed.

hardly an international incident--but just curious about the rules, if anyone has any idea....

separately, but perhaps of interest to anyone who's read this far and isplanning to take an international flight out of shanghai terminal 2, we were warned by AA to arrive 3 hours early for our 6pm flight.

being somewhat sceptical, we arrived only 2 hours early. however it took us all of 10 minutes between arriving at the airport to getting in to the lounge (which is of course past immigration and security). the only notable difference in security so far is that we were not required to remove our shoes to go through. tho there was a sign stating that no liquids of any kind could be carried on to our flight, not even duty free or water from the lounge. we did use the first class check in, which maybe saved us 10 minutes or so, but there didn't seem to be a separate security/fast track line, and yet everything was moving very fast.

happy new year (7 hours to go in shanghai)!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:36 am

She should let you in if you're emerald and traveling on a one world emerald same day ticket
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Why did you go into the Business Class lounge to begin with?

Also, did you ask for an explanation? My experience with CX employees is that they speak English fine. I have only been to PVG once, but the person checking me into the lounge spoke much better English than your post suggests. So I am kind of wondering what sort of interaction was going on here. Maybe because your boarding pass already had the stamp on it for entering the Business Class lounge, the lounge check-in person was confused?

Anyway, too late now.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The Oneworld site lists business and first class lounges, joint between Cathay Pacific and Dragonair. It also list this:

Notes: Access to First Class Lounge is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by gemac
The Oneworld site lists business and first class lounges, joint between Cathay Pacific and Dragonair. It also list this:

Notes: Access to First Class Lounge is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.
Unless something has changed in the last 6 months the CX/Dragon lounge at PVG T2 only has a Business/First (one lounge- no differance- no First class area).
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zman
Unless something has changed in the last 6 months the CX/Dragon lounge at PVG T2 only has a Business/First (one lounge- no differance- no First class area).
If that is still the case, then the note on the Oneworld site seems superfluous, and sohony would be severely confused.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:27 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i was there three weeks ago and there is only one lounge and it is very nice especially when compared to the old one.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Our flight from PVG we used the single lounge; no separation I could see. It was adequate, as described by others.

As to the kerfuffle about "no oneworld, go away," if it's actually a contract lounge, they are well within their rights.

I did have a bottle of water, which I gave up prior to boarding as required for all liquids. (The FD people don't care what happens with their bottles once you have paid for them - it's simple entrepreneurialism, hardly unusual in Shanghai.)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I think what the OP was saying is that, next to the CX/KA lounge is a QF lounge.

I have been through PVG several times and I believe that this QF longe may be one we cannot access without a QF ticket. The only time I have been able to get into the QF lounge was with my QF ticket. Otherwise, my AA, CX and KA tickets have always routed me to the CX lounge...
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I think what the OP was saying is that, next to the CX/KA lounge is a QF lounge.

I have been through PVG several times and I believe that this QF longe may be one we cannot access without a QF ticket. The only time I have been able to get into the QF lounge was with my QF ticket. Otherwise, my AA, CX and KA tickets have always routed me to the CX lounge...
yes. that is exactly what i was saying
we were in the cx/ka lounge.
and next door to it (to the right as you walk out of it) there was another lounge, shared by several airlines, including quantas (hence the QF/.one world logo clearly displayed outside it and at the desk that i mentioned in the origional post!)

i don't know how new this other lounge is, so cant comment on whether the other posters are out of date in their info or simply didn't notice it. but that is the lounge i was not permitted to enter and therefore asking about.

not a big deal--the CX/KA lounge is perfectly pleasant and i agree a distinct improvement on my previous shanghai experience in 2008--but i don't really think anyone has answered my original question....
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sohony
yes. that is exactly what i was saying
we were in the cx/ka lounge.
and next door to it (to the right as you walk out of it) there was another lounge, shared by several airlines, including quantas (hence the QF/.one world logo clearly displayed outside it and at the desk that i mentioned in the origional post!)

i don't know how new this other lounge is, so cant comment on whether the other posters are out of date in their info or simply didn't notice it. but that is the lounge i was not permitted to enter and therefore asking about.

not a big deal--the CX/KA lounge is perfectly pleasant and i agree a distinct improvement on my previous shanghai experience in 2008--but i don't really think anyone has answered my original question....

Ther PVG lounge that QF flyers haveaccess to is NOT a QF/OW lounge.
That is why no OW access.

Associated lounges are operated by, or on behalf of, other airlines in selected ports to which Qantas operates. Associated lounges may only be open to Qantas Club members two hours before Qantas departures.
Lounges operated by:
Jakarta - Jaea Angkaea Semeeta, JAS Executive Lounge
Manila - Pagstop, Manila Lounge
Mumbai - Oberoi Hotels, Oberoi Clipper Lounge
Shanghai - International Airport Authority
+ Lounge access is only permitted when travelling on a Qantas operated flight. ^ Available to Qantas Platinum Flyers, Gold Frequent Flyers, Business Class and Qantas Club Members travelling on QF130 and QF102
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:27 pm

one thing i should have added, reading the rest of the consolidated post, is that the gate check of our carry on luggage was absolutely desultory--more of a wave through. we could easily have brought some beverages from the lounge or duty free had we wanted to. tho really it would not have been necessary as we were traveling in business.

++our FA was absolutely wonderful -- i felt terrible that i didn't have one of those coupons to give her--is there a way to do that after the fact online?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:30 pm

Ther PVG lounge that QF flyers haveaccess to is NOT a QF/OW lounge.
That is why no OW access.

Associated lounges are operated by, or on behalf of, other airlines in selected ports to which Qantas operates. Associated lounges may only be open to Qantas Club members two hours before Qantas departures.
Lounges operated by:
Jakarta - Jaea Angkaea Semeeta, JAS Executive Lounge
Manila - Pagstop, Manila Lounge
Mumbai - Oberoi Hotels, Oberoi Clipper Lounge
Shanghai - International Airport Authority
+ Lounge access is only permitted when travelling on a Qantas operated flight. ^ Available to Qantas Platinum Flyers, Gold Frequent Flyers, Business Class and Qantas Club Members travelling on QF130 and QF102
thanks zman--that makes total sense--i think i recall similar associated lounges in beijing also!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Is the liquid restrictions out of PVG just for US bound flights? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.