Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines and US Airways > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Combined Airline and Program)
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old May 26, 15, 8:29 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges (master thread)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this wikipost; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

GRU / São Paulo - Guarulhos International Airport Temporary Executive Lounge
and Terminal 3 Admirals Club (when reopened)

Special notice: The GRU Admirals Club closed temporarily as we build a new club in Terminal 3 "in 2015". During the transition, members and eligible guests are invited to visit the Executive Lounge GRU Airport located in Terminal 3.

Link to GRU airport information on aa.com

Link to GRU website (English)

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

Quote:
Executive Lounge GRU Airport

Location: Terminal 3, after immigration control; Mezzanine Level above Duty Free area.

N.B. Only accessible to departing passengers on AA, BA, QR.

Hours: For current hours and further information, please see here.

Amenities:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Non-Smoking
  • Internet Terminals
  • TVs
  • Newspapers and Magazines
  • Snacks
  • Showers
  • Printers / Copiers
Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • proof of oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire status
  • Admirals Club or US Airways Club membership card
  • International arriving passengers must have a valid, same-day ticket for departure permitting access through Security.
*Flight sold with AA or US flight number and flown on AA or US aircraft.

Quote:
LAN / TAM VIP (oneworld) lounge

Hours: For current hours and further information, please see here.

Amenities:

"Notes: LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge, offering abundant natural light and an unparalleled view of the airport. In addition to an entertainment room with individual tablets, video games and wi-fi connection throughout, the lounge is separated into various sections, each with its own ambiance. All seating is equipped with power sockets and USB ports, thus enabling customers to remain connected at all times. For those who prefer to relax, the lounge offers exclusive shower rooms and bathing products with scents of tropical Brazilian fruits. The buffet of hot and cold dishes is nearly 30 meters long and offers a wide selection of culinary options. Customers can also choose from a wide variety of premium beverages or relax with a draft beer at the bar."
Older and obsolete posts regarding the old GRU AA lounge facility have been archived; they can be read at: ARCHIVE: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club (consolidated)

Quote:
Special Information: U.S. Citizens: You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States. Visas cannot be obtained at the airport, and immigration authorities will refuse entry into Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa.

For visas, you may use a visa service in the city with the Brazilian Consulate serving your geographical area. To submit documents and interview for a visa, you can only use the Brazilian Consulate with jurisdiction serving the area where you live. Each Consulate may have different requirements and time frames for securing your visa; check the requirements of the Consulate having jurisdiction over where you live. You will not be allowed to apply at any other Consulate than the one with jurisdiction.

List of Brazilian Consulates in the U.S.A. with links to their sites. Note, some may not work.

Print Wikipost

Old May 20, 15, 4:25 pm   #46

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Interesting! As I set up the Lounge Dashboard wiki, I did research the lounges prior to building the wikis to template.

The "Executive Lounge" shows restrictions, as it's a third party lounge:

The LATAM / LAN TAM VIP Lounge ("LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge,") shows no such restrictions in the oneworld lounge information on oneworld.com; it shows as a standard oneworld lounge, though it shows logos for LAN, TAM and Iberia.

Someone's not playing with a full deck here; it TAM personnel decided to block qualified oneworld members on any other than an exceeded capacity basis, they're violating their agreement with oneworld, IMO.

LAN says (link):

and

No ambiguity there.
I wonder if it changed when the AA club closed? I have been denied at some clubs when an AA club is present in the airport. I will try again in a week. And they are sure holding EVIP UPGs to the last possible second.
Old May 20, 15, 5:07 pm   #47
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN View Post
I wonder if it changed when the AA club closed? I have been denied at some clubs when an AA club is present in the airport. I will try again in a week. And they are sure holding EVIP UPGs to the last possible second.
Good luck.

You might try printing out in Prtuguese what their own site states, and inquire why they are not honoring what's on their and oneworld's websites, if you feel up to it.

At least there's the alternative of the contract lounge.
Old May 20, 15, 5:35 pm   #48

Thanks for the input! I'll let anyone who cares know the outcome.
Old May 26, 15, 5:53 pm   #49

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Data Point: I flew from GRU - DFW in J (via SWU) yesterday and no issues using TAM lounge. I asked AA check in agent about using it (after she prompted me on GRU lounge) and she said whatever is my choice. The TAM folks did a boarding call for my flight that was early. By time I got to gate, boarding had yet to start.
ChurchofTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 15, 7:22 pm   #50

Would u recommend the TAM lounge? Bigger question is how many guests can you bring in if everyone is in J?
Old May 26, 15, 8:37 pm   #51

Quote:
Would u recommend the TAM lounge? Bigger question is how many guests can you bring in if everyone is in J?
If they're flying on a qualifying flight in oneworld Business, they can access oneworld lounges on their own. First flyers are entitled to one guest, Sapphire flyers are entitled to one guest; the rules don't seem to provide for Business flyers without at least Sapphire status with the ability to host guests.

But, LAN / TAM has been turning away some qualified oneworld passengers from their lounges (probably claiming capacity issues, included in oneworld lounge access rules here). So keep in mind AA, BA and QR have contracted to use the Executive Lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; May 26, 15 at 8:44 pm.
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 15, 9:56 am   #52

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Quote:
I did not go to the GRU lounge. I did not have much time. I was also traveling solo. I wanted to see if I got access with no problem at TAM lounge. The lounge was big and open, and I would not hesitate to return with guest.
ChurchofTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 15, 9:56 pm   #53

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
I've got no status with AA anymore, but I do have that Citibank Executive card that grants AC access (not Oneworld partner lounge access), with the AC logo on the back. Do you all have any idea whether I'll be able to get into the Executive lounge at GRU? I'm not hopeful...
crunchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:57 pm   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
I've got no status with AA anymore, but I do have that Citibank Executive card that grants AC access (not Oneworld partner lounge access), with the AC logo on the back. Do you all have any idea whether I'll be able to get into the Executive lounge at GRU? I'm not hopeful...
The Citi Executive card gives you an Admirals Club membership, no more and no less. As such, you do have access (as the Club is closed for refurbishment) to the appropriate lounge as indicated in the wiki at the top of this page.
Old Jun 3, 15, 11:12 pm   #55

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The Citi Executive card gives you an Admirals Club membership, no more and no less. As such, you do have access (as the Club is closed for refurbishment) to the appropriate lounge as indicated in the wiki at the top of this page.
Great news, thanks!

BTW, I read the wiki before posting and re-read it just now and noticed no explicit mention of a Citi card.
crunchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 15, 9:19 am   #56

Quote:
Great news, thanks!

BTW, I read the wiki before posting and re-read it just now and noticed no explicit mention of a Citi card.
Everywhere you read "Admirals Club member" all 30 day, annual and Citi Executive members are included.

The easiest way these days is using the Lounge Dashboard "sticky" thread. It's redundant to pack every bit of information in each wiki for all sixty seven lounge threads.
Old Jun 18, 15, 12:09 pm   #57

Programs: Delta PM
Quote:
I'm in the same situation and will be in GRU in a few weeks. Have you tried to gain access with the citi card yet?
Corganbr is offline   Reply With Quote