Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
So it now appears that AA may be blaming the victim (OP) here ,despite that he has reported the fraud himself and gone to great lengths to assist AA in tracking down the culprits.

Corporate Security must have all the information that they need by now,as the OP has worked with many others at AA to clear this situation. One hand at AA is obviously not communicating with the other and the OP is stuck in the middle as the victim.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by arollins
I don't want to take this out of a tangent, but will this work with awardwallet? I use them to keep track of my programs.
I don't use awardwallet and don't know how it works. It looks like it stores your login info, including password, for each airline; is that right? If so, then you would need to tell it your passwords as well.

A password manager is just storing all of your passwords (1Password, and I assume others, can also store pretty much anything you ask it to) in a secure database, encrypted using your master password (typically with multiple layers of encryption; any password manager worth using should describe in detail how your database is kept safe. Awardwallet does this too.). When asked, it will insert the passwords into web sites or allow you to copy the password; you can paste each password anywhere you like (at your risk), including in awardwallet (if awardwallet stores your passwords).

1Password (and I assume others) won't autofill the password on a web site that isn't listed in the particular login item to prevent you from sending your password to a scam web site, so you'll probably have to copy and paste to insert airline passwords into awardwallet, which is easy; no different than typing them in at first.

(Mods, if this is getting off topic, feel free to split and move off to a different forum if appropriate.)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin
So it now appears that AA may be blaming the victim (OP) here ,despite that he has reported the fraud himself and gone to great lengths to assist AA in tracking down the culprits.

Corporate Security must have all the information that they need by now,as the OP has worked with many others at AA to clear this situation. One hand at AA is obviously not communicating with the other and the OP is stuck in the middle as the victim.
It's certainly true that there's a bit of different groups in AA not talking to each other, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here. I very much doubt that this will result in Gardyloo's miles being taken away. Instead, I prefer to assume for now that that form email was sent out automatically when security locked the account to investigate the fraud. At the very least, I'd reserve judgement.

The OP is certainly a victim here, but I don't think he's a victim of AA (or at least he won't be a victim of AA once all is said and done).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Wonder how your information was obtained?

Do you use GoGo WiFi? Someone on the plan could have hacked.
Maybe hotel WiFi?

Or someone may have seen your boarding pass, but then they would have to hack the PW.

I do worry about GoGo and other public WiFi. Do you use a VPN?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by cova
I do worry about GoGo and other public WiFi. Do you use a VPN?
You should never be connecting to an airline web site over an insecure connection anyway, so a VPN shouldn't matter (not that a VPN is a bad idea anyway). Unless the OP hasn't changed passwords since the heartbleed bug came out.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
It's certainly true that there's a bit of different groups in AA not talking to each other, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here. I very much doubt that this will result in Gardyloo's miles being taken away. Instead, I prefer to assume for now that that form email was sent out automatically when security locked the account to investigate the fraud. At the very least, I'd reserve judgement.

The OP is certainly a victim here, but I don't think he's a victim of AA (or at least he won't be a victim of AA once all is said and done).
Agreed. It would be a PR nightmare for AA...

A FF who called in to report a fraudulent use of miles is a victim again because AA did not proactively freeze account changes OR freeze the miles OR change the account number OR set up a fraud alert is not a good story for AA.

I think their will be some hoops to jump through, but AA will restore all in the end.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Oh I get it, and would never criticize the agents working on it. I'm now on the phone waiting for somebody in the fraud department. They've confirmed that a passenger is currently enjoying CX 880 HKG-LAX in first class using my miles, ticket "purchased" today.
I was on this flight/cabin two days before. Not bad, but I miss the nice salmon/caviar.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
This morning my account has been suspended and I received this email from AA Corporate Security, asking me for..
How do you answer an email like that in a case like this? Keep repeating "The ticket was issued without my knowledge nor consent" for every question?

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
The flyer when intercepted might have said "I bought them from Gardyloo, he sold them on a chinese craigslist". They may even have emails from 'gardyloo'
I thought Jon and others assured us there was no chance that the flyer was intercepted? Did I misunderstand that?

Originally Posted by ashill
this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that a password manager (I use 1Password because they have an excellent and very communicative approach to security; I've also read good things about LastPass and Apple's Keychain for Mac/iOS users) to ensure strong passwords which are independent for every one of one's accounts without the impossible task of memorizing them all can prevent issues like this from cascading from one account to another.
I frequently recommend 1Password (I've been using them from the beginning, when they were called 1Passwd). It's an excellent suggestion.

Originally Posted by arollins
I don't want to take this out of a tangent, but will this work with awardwallet? I use them to keep track of my programs.
One of the nice features of 1Password is that it makes it easy to change passwords. After you do, you can paste the new password into Awardwallet.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism

I thought Jon and others assured us there was no chance that the flyer was intercepted? Did I misunderstand that?

I can assure you there is no way anyone on this board can say for 100% certainty the flyer was not intercepted/talked to/phoned/emailed/etc... unless they were the passenger.

I would agree unlikely, but, we simply do not know for certain.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by anabolism

IMO you did.

Jon's comment had two potential interpretations...The one I assumed was that WE would never know.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
IMO you did.

Jon's comment had two potential interpretations...The one I assumed was that WE would never know.
Having re-read Jon's comment, I think I did misunderstand, but in a different way: I now think Jon meant that there was no chance of the passenger being apprehended (by law enforcement).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
@gardyloo

Any update on this? Have they cleared your account?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
@gardyloo

Any update on this? Have they cleared your account?
Another email yesterday with some more questions - have I ever heard of a particular mileage broker, do I book all my own travel, etc. Nothing offensive. I'm hoping this will resolve it shortly.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Another email yesterday with some more questions - have I ever heard of a particular mileage broker, do I book all my own travel, etc. Nothing offensive. I'm hoping this will resolve it shortly.
I assume that your account still remains suspended? Is the suspension affecting any trips you might have been planning?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:49 pm

A fellow Physician at the Hospital had his account hacked last year and AA froze his account but eventually did unfreeze it and re-instated all the miles that were stolen.

I remember at the time he was a little miffed because the first contact with AA Corporate Security seemed to blame him rather than treat him like a victim.

However, he said once he responded to the original email further communications started to change in tenor and started to treat him as a victim and a desire to help him, not blame him.

I think he said eventually AA Corporate Security had him change his password again, even though he changed it immediately after he realized what had happened.

My only thought is that AA Corporate Security first contact should not be so accusatory in tone to people who truly did nothing wrong

I have come to find that people in Security roles sometimes forget that not everyone is bad apple, in fact just the other day I had to deal with a Police Officer who brought in an arrestee to be treated and I had to remind the Police Officer that I did nothing wrong and would appreciate that he treats me as a law abiding citizen and not a would be criminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.