Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
A fellow Physician at the Hospital had his account hacked last year and AA froze his account but eventually did unfreeze it and re-instated all the miles that were stolen.

I remember at the time he was a little miffed because the first contact with AA Corporate Security seemed to blame him rather than treat him like a victim.

However, he said once he responded to the original email further communications started to change in tenor and started to treat him as a victim and a desire to help him, not blame him.

I think he said eventually AA Corporate Security had him change his password again, even though he changed it immediately after he realized what had happened.

My only thought is that AA Corporate Security first contact should not be so accusatory in tone to people who truly did nothing wrong

I have come to find that people in Security roles sometimes forget that not everyone is bad apple, in fact just the other day I had to deal with a Police Officer who brought in an arrestee to be treated and I had to remind the Police Officer that I did nothing wrong and would appreciate that he treats me as a law abiding citizen and not a would be criminal.
Most of the time the police take a very 'nice' tone with a suspect... put them at ease.

I would think AA Security could follow a similar tact... be nice, gather the information to help... and go from there. Get people to lower their guard. Innocent people would be even more willing to provide information... Violators might be lulled into slipping up.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Here is an idea. Why can't airlines have us Record a Few Seconds of us reading text both online and for the phone. When our account populates the agent listens to our voice puts us on hold and listens to our 20 second clip. If the agent has any doubts they would automatically send the call to the Security Department who would further ask questions before proceeding.

Online you would enter a Pin plus have it recognize your speech. If it has any doubts it would lock your account until you can verify.

Now if there is an emergency such as a relative has to cancel your reservation AA could have a special protocol where they would ask the person to Fax in a Copy of their ID plus ask questions and if they are doubtful ask for a Notarized Letter to be sent in before anything can be done.

Also shouldn't the OP have gotten an e-mail from AA that miles were used or an address was changed. I think AA should be sending an e-mail to the last used e-mail address as well just in case it was a hacker changing the e-mail. Why are the agents so dumb and not pry by asking a few questions such as please fax a PGE Bill and ID to change your address?

So what your saying I could call into AA and book a trip using my neighbor's information. Not that I would do it. But its too easy to look up another person's AAdvantage number . You can get their date of birth easily online at Familytreenow.com and voila you can hack the account. Or one could just purchase a Background Check and get more info.

But OTOH doesn't AA ask for things like when was your last flight? Your Mother's Maiden Name? And even still the account got hacked and miles redeemed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
This morning my account has been suspended and I received this email from AA Corporate Security, asking me for...

I'm putting a fair amount of stock in the final paragraph and assume this is SOP in these cases.

My response, by the way, is eloquent but firm. As always.
I would begin the letter by stating that on said date of fraudulent ticket I was at home(or wherever you were along with supporting details such as receipts phone records etc). I have no plans to travel to XXXX -XXXX as I have work obligations at CompanyXXX. Should you need to contact my employer to confirm that I am at my home worksite please feel free to do so.

Signed Respectfully

XXXX
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Now if there is an emergency such as a relative has to cancel your reservation AA could have a special protocol where they would ask the person to Fax in a Copy of their ID plus ask questions and if they are doubtful ask for a Notarized Letter to be sent in before anything can be done.
Fax a notarized letter? Really, like you can not copy and paste and fake this. That is lame. I laugh when I have to do this.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Most of the time the police take a very 'nice' tone with a suspect... put them at ease.

I would think AA Security could follow a similar tact... be nice, gather the information to help... and go from there. Get people to lower their guard. Innocent people would be even more willing to provide information... Violators might be lulled into slipping up.
Not to get off-topic, but I wish that the Police Officer I had to deal took a nice tone with me. He barked at me a few times once telling me that he has been waiting for an 1 hour and half and he had to get back out on Patrol and I should see his arrestee immediately.

Regardless, I guess in cases of fraud where the victim had miles stolen I think AA should send a letter saying something like we are investigating a potential misuse of your miles and we would like to gather some info so that we can re-instate your miles ASAP.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:55 pm

Not to get off-topic, but I wish that the Police Officer I had to deal took a nice tone with me. He barked at me a few times once telling me that he has been waiting for an 1 hour and half and he had to get back out on Patrol and I should see his arrestee immediately.

Regardless, I guess in cases of fraud where the victim had miles stolen I think AA should send a letter saying something like we are investigating a potential misuse of your miles and we would like to gather some info so that we can re-instate your miles ASAP.
It would be simple way to approach it. And I would be more willing to provide everything I can, versus you may have violated the program and we want info.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:40 pm
Suspended

In this case, though, the letter from Corp Security was the standard form they send out to any member suspected of selling miles, they were not approaching it as "victim had miles stolen" and they didn't believe that was the case.

As to the WHY'S of them not knowing/believing from the get-go that Gardyloo was an innocent victim, well... that gets into some deeper woods... But, the questionnaire they sent was the standard "we've caught you" letter, no deviation therefrom.

The fact that we know (and love) Gardyloo, and had-- importantly-- heard his side of the story first, changes how we look(ed) at it-- not how they did. Not to make apologies/excuses, etc., the awards that were redeemed are far, far more often associated with brokered tix rather than stolen miles tix-- not his fault, but explains a bit of the suspicion/ bad presumption.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
In this case, though, the letter from Corp Security was the standard form they send out to any member suspected of selling miles, they were not approaching it as "victim had miles stolen" and they didn't believe that was the case.

As to the WHY'S of them not knowing/believing from the get-go that Gardyloo was an innocent victim, well... that gets into some deeper woods... But, the questionnaire they sent was the standard "we've caught you" letter, no deviation therefrom.

The fact that we know (and love) Gardyloo, and had-- importantly-- heard his side of the story first, changes how we look(ed) at it-- not how they did. Not to make apologies/excuses, etc., the awards that were redeemed are far, far more often associated with brokered tix rather than stolen miles tix-- not his fault, but explains a bit of the suspicion/ bad presumption.
I might be inclined to agree-except that the OP was the one who alerted AA to the theft and appears to have done as much as he could to help AA investigate,given that it was a weekend. Security is one department that should operate 24/7
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freeflyin
I might be inclined to agree-except that the OP was the one who alerted AA to the theft and appears to have done as much as he could to help AA investigate,given that it was a weekend. Security is one department that should operate 24/7
The people he was in contact with were not Corp Security and conducted no investigation.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:14 pm

That makes sense and I can understand that, but miles stolen at least to me a lay person seems rather cut and dry.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I read some of the posts here as suggesting that AA Corp Security try a friendlier, more neutral approach in their first contact letter, regardless of the circumstances. If I understand those posts, the thinking is that doing so would be much nicer for anyone who turns out to be innocent, and possibly disarming to someone guilty, making it more likely they might reveal more.

As to the WHY'S of them not knowing/believing from the get-go that Gardyloo was an innocent victim, well... that gets into some deeper woods...
The fact that Gardyloo had alerted AA to the problem before Corp Security came into the picture should have been taken into account. I realize Gardyloo spoke with RES (since ACS was closed), but AA should have some way for RES to take some action in cases such as this (flagging the account, alerting Corp Security, etc.)
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:45 am

Companies tend to consider the costs and benefits of fine tuning their policies in order to deal with highly unusual cases. They often decide it's better to clean up those cases when they happen then to revamp policy to eliminate those cases. Even seemingly insignificant small changes in policy have costs, in training personnel if nothing else.

Credit card issuers are an example. For a long time they decided the costs of more security (both in dollars and customer inconvenience) outweighed the benefits of avoiding the occasional large scale breach.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
I read some of the posts here as suggesting that AA Corp Security try a friendlier, more neutral approach in their first contact letter, regardless of the circumstances. If I understand those posts, the thinking is that doing so would be much nicer for anyone who turns out to be innocent, and possibly disarming to someone guilty, making it more likely they might reveal more.

The fact that Gardyloo had alerted AA to the problem before Corp Security came into the picture should have been taken into account. I realize Gardyloo spoke with RES (since ACS was closed), but AA should have some way for RES to take some action in cases such as this (flagging the account, alerting Corp Security, etc.)
That was my thinking, I can understand being harsh when AA Corporate Security has discovered an anomaly that needed to be investigated, but when the victim reports a theft of miles, etc. it would seem to me that Corporate Security should have a different letter in those cases.

My reading and I might be completely wrong here, but it seems that Corporate Security didn't get the right message and had on their we have caught a bad apple hat instead of the we have a victim that needs to have his/her miles back hat.

Just my two (probably wrong) cents.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
No doubt that would have been a more suited to this circumstance, but this was really a very unusual case-- part of the unusualness, yes, for sure, came from the fact that we know the person and hear their side before they got the letter-- but compared to the dozens and dozens of acct problems I've been exposed to through FT on this front, this really was very, very unusual.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
this was really a very unusual case
Fair enough. I'd note that, from reports and personal experience, this sort of thing is likely to happen more often, so if AA had some way to handle such, it might be helpful. (My BA account was hacked and miles stolen/redeemed; I reported it to BA EC, which sent it to their corp security, which locked the account with zero communication to me, and kept that up for several months, then suddenly one day the account was unlocked and the miles restored.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.