Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connection / Getting Around DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connection / Getting Around DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport

DFW Minimum Connect Times

Q. What are minimum check-in time requirements at DFW?

AA suggests arriving a minimum of one hour prior to demostic departures if departing domestically (including Hawai'i, Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Islands) if one has no baggage to check; ninety minutes if one must check baggage; and two hours prior to international departures.

Additionally, AA requires passengers be checked in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at DFW and "Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure" (sic).

Q. What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?

The minimum connect time at DFW, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. International to domestic or international is comfortably done in 2:00 or longer (not the official MCT).

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area.

Proceed to the kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside. Your international departure will be from Terminal D, your arrival Terminal.

See DFW / Dallas Ft. Worth Connection & Times - Domestic & International (consolidated)

DFW Terminal Map:

Skylink airside elevated interterminal train

Skylink
's bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside of security.
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants
  • Station escalator/elevator locations:
SkyLink access locations (upstairs by escalator or elevator / lift)
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D (International): Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E (US Airways): Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32
Walking between terminals
  • A-C and B-D (international) are connected at the ends by departurs level walkways; the people mover belts on these walkways have been out of service at least for months. Estimate a five to ten minute walk between A and C, B and D.

• A and B are connected by overhead walkways (escalator or lift / elevator). This walkway is serviced by people mover belts.

• C and D (international) are connected by overhead walkways (escalator or lift / elevator). This walkway is serviced by people mover belts.
Animal Relief Areas:

Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.
Other resources
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Print Wikipost

Connection / Getting Around DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
DFW Airport: Can you walk from C to D

I was wondering, I know there's the DFW Skylink to take between terminals but if I wanted to go from C to D terminals, can it be walked? Are there well marked signs for directions? Any idea how long of a walk it is? Is the walkway above or below ground?

Also, if there is a walkway, is it Air side, doesn't require going through security again?

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 1, 2015 at 6:44 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You can walk as follows:

A to B (via elevated walkway over roads)
A to C (via ground-level walkway)
C to D (via elevated walkway over roads)
B to D (via ground-level walkway)

All of these walkways are well marked. I almost always walk. Skylink can be a nuisance and often takes longer than just walking. Plus, it is healthier to walk!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Absolutely. It's a nice way to get some short exercise between terminals, and they retain moving people belts on the AC-BD connectors. That and the convenient SkyLink are all airside.

AA Terminal Map:

Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ESpen36
All of these walkways are well marked. I almost always walk. Skylink can be a nuisance and often takes longer than just walking. Plus, it is healthier to walk!
A friend told me that he was on Skylink going between terminals...and it broke down at terminal E.
He had to go into terminal E and exit security. Due to all of the extra people the shuttle bus was overwhelmed, he took a cab over to D, and had to re-clear security (thankfully he had PreCheck). He made his flight, but it was a bit close for comfort.

After I heard that story, I've walked C-D, D-A, and nearly anything else I could. I normally participate in FitBit challenges, so the extra steps come in handy.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Take your camera. There are some nice photo ops from the elevated walkways.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aztimm
A friend told me that he was on Skylink going between terminals...and it broke down at terminal E.
He had to go into terminal E and exit security. Due to all of the extra people the shuttle bus was overwhelmed, he took a cab over to D, and had to re-clear security (thankfully he had PreCheck). He made his flight, but it was a bit close for comfort.

After I heard that story, I've walked C-D, D-A, and nearly anything else I could. I normally participate in FitBit challenges, so the extra steps come in handy.
Yeowch! I've never had this happen - though the scabby old underground trAAin did break down with relentless regularity. I do prefer the walks, though.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yeowch! I've never had this happen - though the scabby old underground trAAin did break down with relentless regularity. I do prefer the walks, though.
Happened, to me, too, once. Bummer.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
I once decided to run that one, because I hoped it was quicker than waiting for skylink, and I was really pushing making that flight. I ended up catching the flight and doubt I'd have made it otherwise. It's was a full 5-minute run for an earlier standby flight and I ended up pretty miserable and profusely sweating. I guess it's easily a 15-20 minutes walk, even at a fairly brisk pace, depending on which gate you start at and need to end up at.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I walk when I can- I have found walking between Low numbered C/B gates and/or High numbered A/D gates is more efficient than taking the Skytrain.

You can also walk from C to E ... IIRC.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:23 pm

DFW Transit question

The search function did not return any answers, so here is my question: My niece is flying from PHX to DFW to connect to FRA, flights are on AA. She has just 55 minutes time between flights. If the flight arrives at the International terminal, time is not a problem. Should she arrive at another terminal then she has to take the airport train? Will she need to go through security again? She is not a frequent flyer and has no status, so presumably she will sit in the back of the plane losing already 5-10 minutes just getting off the plane. Do you feel 55 minutes is enough time? Interestingly enough AA must have thought so otherwise they would not sell this ticket. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
She can take the train ("skylink") or it may be faster to walk depending on the gates. See this link for a map that shows the sidewalks between terminals. http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...rminal_DFW.jsp

Going from domestic to international does not require security again, coming back is a different story.

As long as the first flight is on time, she should have no issues.

Last edited by bchandler02; Jul 26, 2015 at 1:40 pm Reason: wrong map link
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:43 pm

Thanks a lot, that's all the information I needed. ^
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
The airport train at DFW is frequent and runs in both directions. I've rarely taken more than 25 minutes to get between gates in different terminals, including comfort stops.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
The search function did not return any answers
Not your fault because the FT search function leaves A LOT to be desired, but:

(Removed circular link post-merge)

Last edited by TheBOSman; Jul 26, 2015 at 5:06 pm Reason: Removed circular link post-merge
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Thanks a lot, that's all the information I needed. ^
Although gate assignments can change from day to day, you can get an idea of which DFW gates the two flights are using today by checking flight status at aa.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.