Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for an EXP in a non-elite Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum

Hi all-

I know the rules for redeeming AAdvantage miles for others from an elite account (EXP in my case), but what about the other way around - award trips for an EXP from a non-elite account?

My wife is a non-elite and has a ton of miles. If she redeems an award for me out of her account, do my elite or her non-elite rules apply (i.e. free redeposits, no close-in fees etc)? I want to redeem for 2 CX award flights for my father and I and need flexibility. Just don't want to get hit with change fees if/when I make changes to our flight.

TIA for your help.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The language of EXP fee waivers (1) repeats again and again 'using miles from their account.'

(1) Ticketing service charges, <21 ticketing charges, mileage redeposits

Just one example:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ard-travel.jsp
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The language of EXP fee waivers (1) repeats again and again 'using miles from their account.'
Thanks, 3Cforme. Yes, I'm aware of that wording, just wondering if there are any practical examples of this not being enforced for EXPs when using miles from "other" people's accounts. I.e. is this a YMMV situation?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You aren't redeeming miles; she's redeeming miles from her account for another flyer, so she'd be charged redeposit fees, etc. But allowed changes can be made (discussed elsewhere, e.g. the MileSAAver consolidated thread) such as dates with available awards, etc. would incur no charges to anyone.

Happy travels.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
In practice I've been able to at least get the $35 phone ticketing fees waived when booked on non-status family members' miles. Haven't made any chargeable changes to said reservations (only routing changes while keeping O/D constant) so I don't know if that would be a little harder to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.