Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current AA co-terminals policy JFK/LGA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Current AA co-terminals policy JFK/LGA

If I were to change one segment of an international ticket to depart from LGA instead of JFK, would there be any change fee under current AA policy?

I recall it used to be free as long as there is availability.

Did some search on FT but couldn't find any relevant postings.

TIA
@ORD
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by @ORD
If I were to change one segment of an international ticket to depart from LGA instead of JFK, would there be any change fee under current AA policy?
Award or paid? If paid, then any change will be governed by the fare rules applicable to the ticket, and usually any change (unless on a full-fare ticket) will have some fee. If award, then your profile indicates you're an EXP, in which case there's no fee even if changing origin/destination.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by jridge
Award or paid? If paid, then any change will be governed by the fare rules applicable to the ticket, and usually any change (unless on a full-fare ticket) will have some fee. If award, then your profile indicates you're an EXP, in which case there's no fee even if changing origin/destination.
Paid. I get the award bit, one of the last perks of being EXP...

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by @ORD
Paid. I get the award bit, one of the last perks of being EXP...
OK, you'll need to check the fare rules. No "generic" answer is possible. However, if you change the ticket in any way (date, flight number, etc.) most fares will impose a change fee. The exception might be fully refundable ones, in which case you're looking at essentially re-buying the new routing.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I've been able to slime this by doing a same day flight change / confirmation but it was only for domestic.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
I might be hijacking the thread. But I had a similar question, if the fare rules dictate that there are no stopovers allowed and the two airports (DFW-PHL, JFK-ZRH) aren't co terminals how was this fare allowed to be ticketed? Should I expect a surprise when I check-in and have them say, congrats we're taking you straight to JFK!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by richh1833
I might be hijacking the thread. But I had a similar question, if the fare rules dictate that there are no stopovers allowed and the two airports (DFW-PHL, JFK-ZRH) aren't co terminals how was this fare allowed to be ticketed? Should I expect a surprise when I check-in and have them say, congrats we're taking you straight to JFK!
Some fares might allow a "surface sector" but not a stopover?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:25 am

Are you sure it is one fare basis (DFW-ZRH)? That sounds like the ticket is constructed from DFW-PHL (one fare basis) plus JFK-ZRH (a second fare basis).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Some fares might allow a "surface sector" but not a stopover?
Indeed, but this fare doesn't

Are you sure it is one fare basis (DFW-ZRH)? That sounds like the ticket is constructed from DFW-PHL (one fare basis) plus JFK-ZRH (a second fare basis).
Its one construction. Its strange....
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:09 pm

Indeed, but this fare doesn't
What is the exact text? I just looked at an arbitrary DFW-ZRH, and it says
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.
which would allow it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:09 am

What is the exact text? I just looked at an arbitrary DFW-ZRH, and it says

which would allow it.
ahhhhhh. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't quite understand what it meant by fare break surface sectors and embedded. I guess I should assume that fare break = stopover and embedded = <24 hours ?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:59 am

ahhhhhh. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't quite understand what it meant by fare break surface sectors and embedded. I guess I should assume that fare break = stopover and embedded = <24 hours ?
I'm certainly not an expert, but I think the paraphrase is that your surface sector has to be within the routing permitted by the fare basis, and not at the beginning or end. In other words, you can't trick the system to expose hidden cities, for example by asking for "a fare from DFW-LHR with a surface segment from ZRH-LHR" to somehow get DFW-LHR pricing on a DFW-ZRH run.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
SAME DAY STANDBY - Different Airport

Deleted

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Apr 18, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.