Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thd.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Elite status requirements changed January 1, 2016! See the wiki in:

JUST THE FACTS: 2016 AAdvantage Program Changes Announced 17 Nov 2015

Earning status on American Airlines:

One earns progressively during a calendar year; the status earned carries on throughout that status year (March 1 to the following 28/29 February) and the following status year. So earning status anytime in calendar year 2016 will endure through 28 Feb 2017 and through 28 Feb 2018. [B]

The AAdvantage status tiers are (click on status tier to see benefits thread):
  • Gold (oneworld Ruby): 25,000 EQ Miles or 30 segments and $3,000 EQ Dollars.

• Platinum (oneworld Sapphire): 50,000 EQ Miles 60 segments and $6,000 EQ Dollars.

• Platinum Pro oneworld Sapphire also; status differentiation from Platinum only valid on AA: 75,000 EQ Miles 90 segments and $9,000 EQ Dollars.

• Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald): 100,000 EQ Miles or 120 segments and $12,000 EQ Dollars.
You may hear or read of AirPass or Concierge Key; these are not status tiers, though Concierge Key includes both complimentary Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership and priority over Executive Platinum for Upgrades, etc. A very large spend of pre-purchased travel via AirPass might grant Concierge Key (the amount is known internally within AA, not here, though rumours say it might be $60,000 or more).

See here on aa.com for earning status and the benefits afforded each status tier. There are also threads for each exploring the benefits and if they are worth it. (Italicized words are key words for search.)
Under the AAdvantage Frequent Flyer scheme, one can earn status three ways:

• Elite Qualifying Miles: calculated on base (flown) miles. On AA, you'll earn 1:1 EQM (except for B / Basic Economy fares (1:0.5) per base mile; on partner airlines, it can vary. See more here. AA offers no bonus EQM for class of service or premium fares; for those, though AA does offer status and fare class of service bonus miles, they are RDM, redeemable Award Miles, not Elite Qualifying).

OR
  • Elite Qualifying Segments: The second way AA calculates status is via discrete segments flown; this benefits those who don't fly sufficiently to earn status through premium or lengthy flights, but fly a lot of shorter segments.

AND

• Elite Qualifying Dollars: You earn EQ Dollars through the Dollars you spend on fares on AA, minus taxes and fees (and baggage, upgrade, etc. fees are excluded) or on Special and most partner fares as a multiplier of base miles according to the specific fare flown (see here).

You can offset some of the required EQD by having a participating credit card post EQD for levels of spend. See the GUIDE thread above.

• N.B. Those who successfully upgrade to a higher class of service will be credited for earnings at the level provided by the originally purchased fare.
N.B. Exceptions: through flights - AAA-BBB-CCC using the same flight number, count as one segment and only earn miles as if flying nonstop AAA-CCC.
NOTE: American Airlines is NO LONGER enforcing the previous rule that [hl]AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA flights.

Minimum mileage guarantees for Elites: EQM and EQP displaying your aa.com account online can be confusing. Flights earning minimum mileage guarantees display as below:

Originally Posted by Focke
Had a short flight from Orly to LHR last month, miles posted as 227 EQM and 773 bonus? Is this how mileage minimums work on BA?

Description Date Mileage Bonus Total
BRITISH AIRWAYS 0331 M ORY LHR 5/31/15 227 773 1,000
You will receive the minimum of 500 minimum guaranteed EQM; you will only be able to discern that if you keep track of the Total displays.

On short flights the minimum EQM is 500 (250 on interisland HA operated AA code shares) and if one is earning at an 0.5 EQP level, that would reflect as 500 EQM.

N.B. Codeshares: Flying AA or US codeshares operated by other airlines always earns as if flying AA (subject to the through flight exception).

Award flights do not earn miles; upgraded flights earn EQM/EQP only from the originally purchased fares. Class of service, elite status, credit card and all other bonus miles are redeemable only and do not affect status in any way, nor do they affect Million Miler status.
Other sources of EQM: There are two cards that grant 10,000 EQP toward status, with respective annual spends of $30,000 and $40,000. (These are "phantom miles" and do not become redeemable, nor do they count toward Million Miles program.)

All other EQM must be earned by flying base miles. Full stop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. Are there other ways I can get AA status, say, a credit card?

No. Whilst there are two credit cards that gain you 10,000 EQM and $3,000, or $3,000 or $6,000 EQD in one year, respectively, they require significant spends ($30,000 and $40,000) in one year. They can help you gain status, but they can't get you status.

Miles from sources like credit card purchases, e-shopping, status or class of service miles, hotel stays or car rentals, etc. render only "bonus" or redeemable, not Elite Qualifying, miles.

Q. Are there any shortcuts, such as status matches?P

AA generally does not grant status matches, though they rarely offer them to elites of competitor (never oneworld Alliance) airlines.

AA does offer various challenges, offering opportunities to earn status via short cuts allowing potentially high value flyers to gain status by earning fewer miles or points - most usually points - than ordinarily required. Informally, we believe one may be allowed to challenge once in five years
  • The Gold and Platinum challenge: sign up for Gold or Platinum status for flying and earning 5,specified EQD and EQM within three months; and a nonrefundable fee.

• Corporate status challenge / fast tracks: These may be offered to employees of specific companies, for Gold, Platinum or Executive Platinum, for flying and earning miles or points within a specified time. Some may grant interim status, which one keeps if the challenge is completed successfully.

• Promotional, targeted challenges: These challenges may be offered to targeted AAdvantage members, or other groups, specifically by invitation.
Please see the AA forum FAQ or search for titles containing the word "challenge".

Q. If I upgrade with (LFBU, 500 mile upgrade "stickers", miles and copayment, SWU, etc.) will I earn EQM / EQP at the new, upgraded fare level?

You will earn EQM/EQP at the level afforded by the originally purchased fare.

Q. Flying on an award, will I earn EQM / EQD?

No; award use does earn EQM/EQD.

Q. It used to be if one lost their current status, they had a "soft landing" to the next lower status level. Is this still true?

That was once the policy. Today, March 1 you will drop to the status you earned the previous calendar year.

Q. Can I buy back my status?

Maybe. AA has offered members reaching certain numbers of miles to buy back, or even buy up, status. The program is announced toward the end of the year, and incurs significant fees.

Q. How is a status year calculated?

The qualifying miles, Dollars or segments you earn in one calendar year grant you status when you cross the threshold forbthatvstatus tier, and for the following status year - March 1 - the last day of February. Earn status during 2018, your earned status will be valid through 29 Feb 2020. (This does not apply to challenges necessarily, which have their own offers and validity periods.)

Q. Does acquiring status require a minimum annual spend on the airline in any way?

Yes. See above.
Additional links to pages and tools of interest:

• Link to chart showing EQM and EQM on AA. Earn and redeem miles with American[/URL][/U]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Updated 10 Jan 2018 by JDiver

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thd.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation GUIDE: Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thd.)

Welcome U.S. Airways Dividend Miles and New AAdvantage Members!

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Exclamation Help Understanding Points / Miles (& segments): EQM vs EQP on AA (merged threads)

In the wake of the DCA-PEK fares, I'll easily make Platinum with a couple other trips.

However, thinking ahead to EXP, which I think I can make with a couple MRs, I've been thinking about EQP vs EQM, and when it might be worth it to pay more for a run for 100% EQP or even 150% EQP.

Given the DCA-PEK fare class gives 1.5 EQP earning, that gives a bit of a jump start.

So let's say when all is said and done, will finish at 53K EQM and 72K EQP.

That would be at least 2-3 MRs for EXP via EQM, and 1-2 via EQP (if it's 1.0 or 1.5 earning).

There will be time savings for not taking that extra trip, and depending on cost, may be a wash.

Only downside is missing out on RDMs.

Let's say the average MR of about 20K EQM is $900 (~4.5cpm), then I should be willing to pay up to 100% more or $1,800 for the same MR for 1.0 EQPs or 1.5 EQPs if it means 1 MR instead of 2.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Do others employ this kind of thinking, or just go for more of the 0.5 EQP MRs?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've switched to EQPs. Look for cheap business fares to the Carib or South America. Check out the BA Tier Point thread for some ideas.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by transparent
In the wake of the DCA-PEK fares, I'll easily make Platinum with a couple other trips.

However, thinking ahead to EXP, which I think I can make with a couple MRs, I've been thinking about EQP vs EQM, and when it might be worth it to pay more for a run for 100% EQP or even 150% EQP.

Given the DCA-PEK fare class gives 1.5 EQP earning, that gives a bit of a jump start.

That would be at least 2-3 MRs for EXP via EQM, and 1-2 via EQP (if it's 1.0 or 1.5 earning).

There will be time savings for not taking that extra trip, and depending on cost, may be a wash.

Let's say the average MR of about 20K EQM is $900 (~4.5cpm), then I should be willing to pay up to 100% more or $1,800 for the same MR for 1.0 EQPs or 1.5 EQPs if it means 1 MR instead of 2.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Do others employ this kind of thinking, or just go for more of the 0.5 EQP MRs?

I've found EQM work best for me. A cheap fare and use SWUs. 4 international and a couple domestic trips gets me there.

I think you need to look at your individual travel and see what 100,000 EQM and EQP would cost and then subtract the value of the RDMs of each. This should give you the answer (your time value is a consideration).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have moved this thread over to the American forum for further response.

Pat89339
Moderator, Mileage Run Forum
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The"currency" promo for elites gives more RDM to elites flying on higher fares.

I've qualified both ways - and it varies year by year; if you can swing it financially then indeed, EQP is the easier/better option.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of using mileage runs as a unit of measurement, let's use the more precise units of points or miles.

By your estimates, you'll need about 47k EQM or you'll need about 28k EQP.

Definitely true - time is money and time with family/kids/job is well spent.

No, I would not spend double the money just to earn 1.0 EQP, nor would I spend double the money to earn 1.5 EQP. I'll explain why below.

Your choices aren't really 0.5 EQP fares, your choices are either 1.0 EQM fares or fares that earn 1.0 or 1.5 EQP. ALL PUBLISHED fares earn 1.0 EQM.

What you need is either 28k miles worth of flying that earns 1.0 EQP or about 18.75k miles of flying that earns 1.5 EQP. My advice is to find great fare sales on economy tickets, put them on hold, and then call AA web services and ask them to up-fare the held reservations to V or W (whichever is cheaper and/or available for your flights). V, W and higher earn 1.0 EQP per mile flown, and you're only about 28k EQP away.

You could spend lots more money to up-fare the tickets to B or Y, and thus earn 1.5 EQP, but that would be very costly. And, if money's no object, then you could hope to find some discounted premium cabin tickets, and fly 18.75k miles of those (earning you the 28k EQP you need).

My guess is that the V or W tickets would be most cost effective, but if you're running short on time and have lotsa money, then the Y or B fares would get it done in 2/3 as much flying (18.75k miles instead of 28k miles).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Given the difference in price for Y (at H class) or PEY (150%EQP) on CX, a quick trip to SE Asia over a long weekend would likely solve most of the OP's "problems".

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
While B, Y and Business fares can be very high - earning 1.5 EQP with a BA WT+ fare can sometime be surprisingly reasonable. Not always - they can be very unreasonable too (more than an I fare), but if you can get WT+ for $500 more than economy, thats a good deal.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
My guess is that the V or W tickets would be most cost effective, but if you're running short on time and have lotsa money, then the Y or B fares would get it done in 2/3 as much flying (18.75k miles instead of 28k miles).
Is up faring from a good economy fare sale the best way to find a good V/W fare? (e.g. is it always that the V/W for that sale fare will also be the best V/W fare available)

I tried searching for 1.0 EQP economy fares on ITA but typically the fares are 30+% higher. Not sure if that's typical.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:37 pm

Hadn't considered CX/BA since many of their fares don't earn anything. But will look into PEY/WT+
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, I would not spend double the money just to earn 1.0 EQP, nor would I spend double the money to earn 1.5 EQP. I'll explain why below.
I suppose this might only apply in this case, given that for the same $$ cost, and fewer trips, I can achieve the same thing, not a general rule of spending double.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Trying to Understand Elite Points

I just flew on US Airways round trip from DC to Tampa going down DCA to CLT to TPA on coach and returning on a first class ticket on a direct flight from TPA to DCA. Now under the old US Airways rules, I would have earned 500 elite miles for the DCA to CLT leg (actual miles is 300 but I have elite status) and 508 elite miles for CLT to TPA, while coming back TPA to DCA, I would have earned 1221 elite miles since I bought first class. So the total would have been 2229 miles towards elite status and I thought this is the amount of points I would have earned under the new system. I just looked at my total and see that I have earned 1725 points and 1822 miles towards elite status. I understand how they calculated the miles (500 for DCA to CLT, 508 for CLT to TPA and 814 for TPA to DCA). I do not understand how they arrived at the 1725 points. Can anyone explain? I am not sure I am going to like the new system.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:36 am

It works like this:
Points = {0.5 or 1.0 or 1.5} * Miles

The multiplier is 0.5 for cheap coach tickets, 1.5 for premium cabin and full-fares, and 1.0 for other coach fares.

In your case,
0.5*500 + 0.5*508 + 1.5*814 = 1725

Note that you can qualify on points OR miles. So if you want to qualify on miles, you can totally ignore the points system.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Using great circle mapper

TPA - DCA is 814 miles so , 1st class would earn 814 EQM and 1221 EQP (150% of miles)

CLT-DCA is 331 miles - holding status the min earning of 500 applies
CLT-TPA is 508 miles so 508 miles are earned

Depending on the fare basis , the economy EQPs woul be 50%, 100% or 150% of EQMs

It looks like the economy fares were 50% earning , so 1221 + 250 + 254 = 1775 which is very close to what you mention

EQMs should be 814 + 500 +504 = 1818 which is v close to what you say you received

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 1, 2015 at 5:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.