Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:29 pm

Isnt this thread about success stories?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Positive or negative success story?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Phils11
After seven months of checking for J "guest seat" availability on the AUH-MLE segment I finally had success this morning (5 days prior to departure). ^
Is this an exception, or part of a general pattern of releasing award seats ~5 days prior to departure if some unsold seats are left?

QR won't release award seats at the last minute even if the whole plane is unsold; would be nice if EY is more like CX than QR in this respect.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Fair enough. I was able to book 2 F seats on the A380 for SYD-AUH ^, just not on the day I preferred .

Not sure if or when it might hit inventory, but I just canceled 2 F seats on both LAX-AUH and AUH-SYD in late September.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:21 am

AUH-JFK F seats on 22nd Dec, 23rd Dec, 24th Dec now. Go figure. Nothing else after 16th Dec until the end of the current calendar (5th Jan).

I'm desperate to understand the pattern!

(As far as success goes, LHR-AUH, MCT-AUH-LHR and JFK-AUH all recently booked in J without problems recently. Able to select seats online and the chauffeur.)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Global Entry, United Silver
ORD-DEL-ORD

Just successfully booked ORD-DEL-ORD in J for 1 pax ending March- beginning April 2015. Taxes were about $84 total.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:46 pm

Booked two J AUH-IAD late last week for the very beginning of 2016. Was still grandfathered into the $35/pp fee on the outbound, but was glad to see it was no more when doing this booking!

Also - if anyone wants to start their Christmas vacation a couple weeks early and in style, I suggest routing through IAD.

Last edited by arlflyer; Feb 8, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:52 pm

Successfully have booked JFK-AUH-MLE-AUH-KTM-AUH-LAX for myself in J for 160K miles. The only problem I had was an agent who seemed like she just didn't know what she was talking about trying to tell me that I couldn't book JFK-AUH-MLE because it crossed over into a 3rd region. I talked her out of it though.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just put on hold: ARN-LHR-AUH-BOM for 40k

ARN-LHR BA Business
LHR-AUH EY A380 First
AUH-BOM EY 787 First

Not a bad deal I think to experience both Etihads A380 Apartment and 787 First (albeit for a short flight on the latter).

Best,

Acrbag
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Acrbag
Just put on hold: ARN-LHR-AUH-BOM for 40k

ARN-LHR BA Business
LHR-AUH EY A380 First
AUH-BOM EY 787 First

Not a bad deal I think to experience both Etihads A380 Apartment and 787 First (albeit for a short flight on the latter).

Best,

Acrbag
Whoops, literally right after I posted, I realized Delhi would be a better ending point. Is it possible to call and change the last segment from "AUH-BOM" to "AUH-DEL", and NOT lose the first two segments? Don't want to risk losing it
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Acrbag
Whoops, literally right after I posted, I realized Delhi would be a better ending point. Is it possible to call and change the last segment from "AUH-BOM" to "AUH-DEL", and NOT lose the first two segments? Don't want to risk losing it
Should be no problem.

Hoping for first class space to LHR or to the States in second week of Jan 2016. You think it will show up?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Should be no problem.

Hoping for first class space to LHR or to the States in second week of Jan 2016. You think it will show up?
I've been looking every day too. Interestingly, 29th Dec opened up to a lot of places. Nothing after yet.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
Just put on hold EY102 from JFK-AUH. I had a question though. After August 1st the EY website says EY102 is operated by Etihad and EY100 is now operated by 9W on behalf of Etihad. Before then all EY102 flights are 9W and all EY100 flights are EY. Weird, are they going to bait and switch me?

Anyone have any information on that?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by strikerr
Just put on hold EY102 from JFK-AUH. I had a question though. After August 1st the EY website says EY102 is operated by Etihad and EY100 is now operated by 9W on behalf of Etihad. Before then all EY102 flights are 9W and all EY100 flights are EY. Weird, are they going to bait and switch me?

Anyone have any information on that?
Yes, Lucky on OMAT posted about the change last month. The speculation is that the change is in anticipation of making EY100 their A380 flight from JFK, but the start date is unknown. I think officially they are just saying by December 2015.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by travel4b
Yes, Lucky on OMAT posted about the change last month. The speculation is that the change is in anticipation of making EY100 their A380 flight from JFK, but the start date is unknown. I think officially they are just saying by December 2015.
Well we will see what unfolds Thanks for the information. Thankfully AA allows free changes as long as start and end are the same. I don't really mind flying on EY J on a 77W or the A380 just want to avoid 9W J if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.