Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: "Up In The Air" George Clooney Movie - Heavy AA presence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Not in San Diego either. Here's where it is playing:

"Up in the Air" opens in limited release Friday in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and Philadelphia

Randy lists the theatres here.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 4, 2009 at 8:44 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Two thumbs up. ^^

Just back from the 5PM at SF Center where it is playing on three screens. The 5PM was pretty full.
Loved the movie. So many familiar AA scenes, from the ACs to boarding to inflight F service including AA glassware and ramekins. Great story line with a combination of laughs and tears.
Funny scene early on when the FA twice asks a confused Clooney if he wanted "cancer"? Finally, she holds up the can and slowly asks "would you like the can sir?"

You will notice a few inconsistencies like mismatched interior and exterior plane sequences and mismatched terminals and cities... but nothing major. And hold on for the surprise ending.

If available, I would recommend the HD-like Extreme Digital screening.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 4, 2009 at 9:03 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jaf
...I wonder how many people think that after watching this clip:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...pinTheAir.html

Ignore the commentary in the video, but when I saw that I thought "THAT'S ME!!"

Everything - I mean everything ... from the Black TravelPro Crew 5 (exact model I have), to the way he rolls his undershirts/clothes, to the way he works his way through the airport and bypasses the lines, to the way he grabs 2 (exactly 2) plastic bins at security, to the way he holds up his boarding pass at eye level as he goes thru the detector. I think the only difference is that I usually check in online (unless I'm coming straight from the hotel like him in which case I may use the kiosk). ... that, and I'm much faster than him at security

Kinda surprised though is how a travelling professional like him still uses the two wheeler rollaboard when it's much more easier to glide through the airport with a four wheeler spinner rollaboard

Once you've experienced 4 wheeler spinner rollaboards, you'll never want to go back to the dragging 2 wheelers again!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
deleted

Last edited by troyb; Dec 6, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Definitely worth seeing

Just saw the movie today; took myself and my two local employees with me for a 'team meeting' this afternoon in San Francisco. The trailer struck me as such a great fit to my team's life on the road I sent gift cards to my whole team to go see it in their respective cities. Or on the road, if they so choose.

All three of us were definitely 'in tune' with the movie's theme, with 5M or so in lifetime miles between us.

From FTer perspective we all really enjoyed the movie's tone, they captured the strange combination of the thrill of flight and travel with the numbing sameness and dullness of it all in a pitch perfect way.

Great movie, too.

Edit: Looks like I was in the screening just before SFO777, we caught the 2:15pm show. First row of coach for us , nice leather seats and XD digital.

Last edited by sam123; Dec 4, 2009 at 9:58 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:47 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just back from the 5PM at SF Center where it is playing on three screens. The 5PM was pretty full.
Loved the movie. So many familiar AA scenes, from the ACs to boarding to inflight F service including AA glassware and ramekins. Great story line with a combination of laughs and tears.
Likewise, just back from the 6 pm at the same cinema as you. I also loved this movie -- very well-written, well-cast and well-acted.

A few of the FF things didn't quite add up -- why would someone who spends over 300 days on the road, mostly in cities that require a rental car, be only a Hertz #1 Gold? Sheesh, even lots of us leisure travelers are 5 Star and President's Circle. The heavy focus on AA was very interesting... I wonder if it qualified as a paid "product placement". If so, they probably would have gone for accuracy, and I'm not sure about the true existence of Clooney's character's two magic elite cards with AA -- the one he possesses at the start of the movie for the millions of miles he's already flown, and the one he privately aspires to at a magic threshold he's about to pass. And are we talkin' AAdvantage miles or BIS miles?

There's a fair bit of foul language, making this movie iffy for a family outing, but it's a good date movie, friends movie, or just to see on your own. The SF audience loved seeing the scenes of SF from the ground and the air, and laughed out loud at a straight-gay ambiguous offhand comment in a job interview near the end. And there are enough scenes of Omaha, Des Moines, Chicago, St Louis, Miami, SF, Wichita, Detroit, KC, Columbus and other cities to briefly please anyone from there or who's been there. Also shout-outs to Dallas, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dubuque, Milwaukee, LV and Ft Lauderdale. Sorry to NYC, Boston, LA and Seattle; this is a movie set in America's heartland, plus my 2 homes -- SF Bay Area and South Florida.

I found myself humming along to the "We Know Why You Fly" music in a couple of places.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Kinda surprised though is how a travelling professional like him still uses the two wheeler rollaboard when it's much more easier to glide through the airport with a four wheeler spinner rollaboard

Once you've experienced 4 wheeler spinner rollaboards, you'll never want to go back to the dragging 2 wheelers again!
I think the vast majority of FFs don't use 4 wheelers.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:20 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think of 4 wheelers as bikes with training wheels. Eventually you grow out of them.

But back on topic, I really liked the film -- saw it in West LA, late this afternoon. Almost sold out, playing on three screens at the Landmark. One thing I noticed is that I was laughing at a lot of frequent flyer things that most of the audience was oblivious too. In a few instances I felt like I was the only person in the theater laughing at something. I wonder how many other FFers will experience that. All in all it's a very enjoyable, kind of bitter-sweet film.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:36 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
As the credits rolled and the lights came on, the woman next to me said, "Wasn't that a marvelous movie? But it's a bit silly to imagine anyone could earn 10 million frequent flyer miles in a lifetime!"

I merely deadpanned and said, "Madam, I sailed past that number about 4 years ago."
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Blumie
What did Smidgen think?
I think he liked it, but it wasn't too clear. He was too busy looking at Vera Farmiga's cleavage.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Heh. I started with four wheels, when my mom and dad raved about the new luggage set they bought from Costco. Then I went back to the familiar 2 wheels because the rotating wheels was getting annoying. Now I'm back to a backpack (actually convertible backpack/messenger style Red Oxx Sky Train).

But with all these reviews, I'm sold. Going to Century City to see it tonight! right now!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
I saw the movie last night too and loved it. It was kind of strange seeing the terminal scenes in STL and DTW, having just been to both this week. I also found myself laughing at many of the FF references that many others did not pick up on.

I was in Saint Louis while George Clooney was in town shooting last spring and we kept missing him in certain nightspots in the CWE.

One of the things that I found funny was, like Ryan, I do much of my travel to places like Omaha, Des Moines, Kansas City, St. Louis, and Cincinnati but unlike him, I am always on RJ's or MD-80's. 122 segments ytd, with 5 to go.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Saw it last night @ NYC. Got 'upgraded' to balcony seats! (They don't usually open the balconies unless it's sold out).

Very good movie. Wished they'll focus even more on the miles. I really wish FT would make a cameo (maybe on Ryan's computer)?

And when are we starting a sticky "Lifetime EXP - no chance"?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 3:14 pm

I thought the movie hit a bit close to home, from a lot of his antics to his thought processes. Overall, I liked the movie. I can see how some could be disappointed, but I was not. I wonder though, not having been to a theater in over a year, are movies up to $13.50 now?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I thought the movie hit a bit close to home, from a lot of his antics to his thought processes. Overall, I liked the movie. I can see how some could be disappointed, but I was not. I wonder though, not having been to a theater in over a year, are movies up to $13.50 now?
At the AMC around here, it's 10 or 11 dollars for an adult ticket. I haven't purchased any food there in a long time, but it used to be 10 bucks for a popcorn and a soda.

Was glad I got to see Up in the Air free. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.