Wiki Posts
Search

OT: "Up In The Air" George Clooney Movie - Heavy AA presence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
OT: "Up In The Air" George Clooney Movie - Heavy AA presence

New George Clooney movie with a heavy focus on frequent business travel.

The trailer is actually a bit hard to find online right now, but there is a very heavy AA presence and even shots at an Admirals Club.

You can find the trailer here and here.

Apple's page on it does not have the actual trailer, for some reason, but they do have a clip. It's here. There's even an AA Concierge Key reference in the clip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/27/09 - As the film has now been in nationwide release for a weekend, there will be no more in-thread spoiler alerts - read at your own risk!

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Dec 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:47 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
From the Apple clip page:

From Jason Reitman, the Oscar® nominated director of “Juno,” comes a comedy called “Up in the Air” starring Oscar® winner George Clooney as Ryan Bingham, a corporate downsizing expert whose cherished life on the road is threatened just as he is on the cusp of reaching ten million frequent flyer miles and just after he’s met the frequent-traveler woman of his dreams.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks great...
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Originally Posted by dstan
From the Apple clip page:

From Jason Reitman, the Oscar® nominated director of “Juno,” comes a comedy called “Up in the Air” starring Oscar® winner George Clooney as Ryan Bingham, a corporate downsizing expert whose cherished life on the road is threatened just as he is on the cusp of reaching ten million frequent flyer miles and just after he’s met the frequent-traveler woman of his dreams.
IIRC, in the original book he is trying to reach 1million miles.

When I originally read the book I thought 'wow! 1million miles!' That was before FT and before my own multi-million miles. And for those curious, he's counting total miles, not BIS.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I like how on the Apple one he flashes the EXP and CK card.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DillMan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

IIRC, in the original book he is trying to reach 1million miles.

When I originally read the book I thought 'wow! 1million miles!' That was before FT and before my own multi-million miles. And for those curious, he's counting total miles, not BIS.
You are right! I have read the book- and he wants to get to the million mile target as the "award" is a flight together with the Airline President/CEO. I cannot remember the title or the author- I do recall buying it after reading a review in the Economist. It was a good easy read.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You are right! I have read the book- and he wants to get to the million mile target as the "award" is a flight together with the Airline President/CEO. I cannot remember the title or the author- I do recall buying it after reading a review in the Economist. It was a good easy read.
I think this is the book
http://cgi.ebay.it/Up-in-the-Air-Boo...mZ350199605676
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by cs19
New George Clooney movie with a heavy focus on frequent business travel.

The trailer is actually a bit hard to find online right now, but there is a very heavy AA presence and even shots at an Admirals Club.
That is because AA partially paid for the production of the movie.

cheers,

--J
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If AA is listed in the credits, they participated in production. If not, they paid, undoubtedly. "Placement" fees are a Hollywood tradition too - all kinds of companies, more notoriously tobacco companies, have paid for actors to show their product off. The selection of particular jewelry, clothing, automobile brands (Hummer in CSI Miami, Marlboro in any number of movies including at least one James Bond movie,) are all paid for - it's one more way to advertise a product, albeit not very transparently.

We'll hope AA marketing gurus have done their job well in positioning the product and choosing the right movie to pitch AA to a prime target population, or it's money under the bridge, to mix my metaphors.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Most of the airport scenes in this movie were filmed in STL, in the unused D concourse.

Several scenes were also filmed in my neighborhood in St. Louis, too. You can see a brief shot of a neighbor's house when a woman is opening the door at the end of the trailer.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:34 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Here is the previous MilesBuzz thread on this topic from March:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ker-movie.html

Also some previous discussion in the AA Celebrity Sightings thread here.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: Grounded
With all the brand names being thrown about it's pretty clear who paid for placement and who didn't. From the clip it seems almost cheesy. Hopefully the rest of the movie is good.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

A lot of airport scenes were also filmed at the Detroit Airport. I've no idea of the split between Detroit and St Louis.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A lot of airport scenes were also filmed at the Detroit Airport. I've no idea of the split between Detroit and St Louis.
Overhead shot of the people walking at 00:31 of the trailer looks like the floor in the new terminal D at MIA with all the shells etc. Anyone? Anyone?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by farrish11
Overhead shot of the people walking at 00:31 of the trailer looks like the floor in the new terminal D at MIA with all the shells etc. Anyone? Anyone?
That was my thought exactly when I watched. Came here to post it, and you beat me to it

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.