Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just how much do FAs know about elite status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too Many to Count
Just how much do FAs know about elite status?

This may seem like a silly thread, but a couple of events that transpired this past week have prompted me to pose this question: Just how much do most flight attendants know about AA's elite status tiers? It seems like the answer should be, a lot.

However, consider my two examples, both of which occurred in a span of 6 days. While going from BOS - SFO last weekend, the plane was a tad late arriving at the gate. Only F was boarding. As I approached the plane, FA one asked FA 2, "who is boarding?" "Only First Class right now," said FA 2. FA 1's perplexing response, "Oh, ok, so only Platinums" (that's right, with an "S"). That's when I had to turn away and shake my head a little bit.

My second example is even more of a head scratcher. While flying in F from DFW - DCA this evening, the pax next to me struck up a conversation with the FA. Somehow they started talking about elite status. The FA asked him, "what's yours?" The pax said, "Oh, I'm EXP." The FA's response, "Gold's the highest, right?" The pax took it pretty well and didn't appear flustered, and simply responded, "No, EXP is."

I'm assuming these are isolated incidents. In my 2 years and over 200 segments with American, I think these were the only 2 incidents. But, seeing them in such close succession makes me think I may have missed more.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think FA know quite a bit less than GAs and GA's know less than AC agents. I don't know about TA's at the counter as I rarely see them. Of course, the GA's who call all PriorityAAccess people at the same time, are less likely to understand the differences.

I am sure the agents at the EXP desk know more about it than all of those above.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Most FAs seem not to know all of the details; most of no idea of MRs. I had one FA on a LGA/BNA flight that thought flying 100,000 miles per year was extremely much.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Last week I saw the printout that they had onboard in J on an Iberia longhaul. It just had the seat number, then the name and then the OneWorld status by airline program next to the name as in DOE JOHN, EMERALD AAFF. About two thirds had no elite status so that part was blank for them of course. Again, this was IB, not AA, but I'll bet the software is similar.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bobovespa
Last week I saw the printout that they had onboard in J on an Iberia longhaul. It just had the seat number, then the name and then the OneWorld status by airline program next to the name as in DOE JOHN, EMERALD AAFF.
IIRC the FAs receive a printout listing passengers by name, elite level and Admiralds Club membership.

I assume (and I could be wrong) that the printout is only for the premium cabin(s), not for Y.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Most FAs seem not to know all of the details; most of no idea of MRs. I had one FA on a LGA/BNA flight that thought flying 100,000 miles per year was extremely much.
OK in the alternative world, ie the Non FT World, 100,000 miles per annum seems almost obscene to people. It's just us rabbits here with slightly weird minds that think its normal.

Do they offer Raw Carrots in F?

Cheers Larry.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
From my experience, the average flight attendent (on any airline) knows very little about the frequent flyer program, the clubs, elite membership, and other aspects of their airline that aren't directly related to being a flight attendant. Some are much more knowledgable about those tangential aspects, but a good portion aren't.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You have to keep in mind a couple of things:

1. Very few FAs travel enough on paid tickets to achieve status. This also applies to their family.

2. They don't really need to know for their job. Once you are in the aircraft and seated in your seat, cabin is the factor that differentiates service, not status.

So if it is irrelevant in their personal and professional lives, why should they know?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
I can attest that even in Y they know. On a flight from NRT to HKG on CX, in March 2007, the lead flight attendant came all the way back to introduce herself to me and made sure I was served my lunch first before the rest of Y. She took my order to make sure I had the entrée of my choice. Totally caught me by surprise. I asked her why she was doing this and her response was that all Oneworld Emeralds/Sapphires are greeted no matter the class.

Low and behold, on the return trip, same thing happened. Very surreal to get served first back in coach. I guess this is why everyone loves CX so much. Top notch professionalism and service all the way!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bmoney
I can attest that even in Y they know. On a flight from NRT to HKG on CX, in March 2007, the lead flight attendant came all the way back to introduce herself to me and made sure I was served my lunch first before the rest of Y. She took my order to make sure I had the entrée of my choice. Totally caught me by surprise. I asked her why she was doing this and her response was that all Oneworld Emeralds/Sapphires are greeted no matter the class.

Low and behold, on the return trip, same thing happened. Very surreal to get served first back in coach. I guess this is why everyone loves CX so much. Top notch professionalism and service all the way!
On JL from TPE-NRT, I was pleasantly surprised to find the purser walking through the entire Y cabin with her printout, personally greeting and thanking Oneworld Elites. I'm only a Sapphire, but she did come by to thank me for my business and for flying Japan Airlines. (Didn't get served my food first though...but I guess I'll live. )
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
As the above 2 posts indicate OW members other than AA do a better job of identifying and acknowledging emeralds, even in Y.

More than once I received "funny" looks from the surrounding pax after such a greeting.

With that said I believe the status is available to the AA flight crew- whether they know exactly what it means- or care- is an individual case matter I suspect.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't forget, AE FAs also know and provide preferential treatment to EXPs and PLATs. AA and AE should have the same print-outs, but the difference is what they do with that information.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by JY1024
On JL from TPE-NRT, I was pleasantly surprised to find the purser walking through the entire Y cabin with her printout, personally greeting and thanking Oneworld Elites. I'm only a Sapphire, but she did come by to thank me for my business and for flying Japan Airlines. (Didn't get served my food first though...but I guess I'll live. )
I had the same thing happen even though I a mere gold on one of three flights i took with JAL. Such a greeting sitting business on an award ticket from Japan to Korea. No such greeting on the return flight to Japan or the transpac. back to NYC (all on the same award ticket).
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Personally all I really care is whether or not the computer in the oneworld airlines recognize my status. That is going to determine whether or not I am going to appropriately receive my complimentary upgrade or an operational upgrade for the other oneworld carriers besides AA

Whether or not the purser comes to the back and says hello or not still means I am in the back. I guess for some getting first choice on an econ meal is a big deal. Not in my book.

Remember when WP use to give top tier extra miles if you did not receive a complimentary upgrade. It would seem to me that for a FlyerTalker that would be a service worth commenting on.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JY1024
My experience with JL (on that exact TPE-NRT route, no less) is that they give preferred benefits to OW Elites from the moment they arrive at the gate (I guess they really do it from the ticket counter). Very nice service all the way around.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I was surprised six months ago on a SFO-JFK flight when I chatted next to an FA in the jumpseat who asked me about my status, and then a general rundown of the FF levels. I kinda assumed that FAs can quote the AAdvantage gospel as well as us FTers, but I learned that day that this isn't the case. I do remember getting a pre-departure beverage and a fresh-baked cookie, even though I was a PLT sitting in Y in the exit row!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.