Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

International Flight in with "O" Fare.. Possible Mileage Earned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold

I'm looking at buying a trip to Mexico in the next few months. The cheapest fares I've seen are of course the much hated "O" Class int'l AA fares.

I know that you can't earn mileage for an International "O" Class fare, but if I would fly from DTW-MIA-CUN, could I earn miles for the DTW-MIA segment? I know that I won't earn it on the MIA-CUN segment, but technically the DTW-MIA segment is domestic.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Interesting question and Im not entirely sure, but according to this link (http://www.aa.com/content/AAdvantage...irements.jhtml) it says TICKETS booked, not SEGMENTS or LEGS booked, so that may mean that the total itinerary wouldnt earn mileage, unless of course you booked the DTW-MIA/MIA-CUN as two separate tickets.

Also I should note that depending on the source, CUN (and all of Mexico with the exception of MEX) is often considered part of North America and so you may actually be able to earn mileage on the itinerary. I dont have that much experience with this though, so someone with more expertise should weigh in.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it depends on whether CUN is in "Latin America". Not sure myself...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:41 am

There was a thread earlier this year that debated whether O tickets to GUA would earn miles. Someone in that thread noted that they had flown to SJO on an O ticket and had gotten miles, so it's possible that when AA says "Latin America" in this context, they actually mean South America.

That being said, though, I have no direct experience with this, so my post should not be construed as fact. I tend to believe that the definition of "Latin America" is far more narrow than that (to the point where I wouldn't buy an O ticket to Mexico, even), but that could well be a definition that is too narrow.

Mike
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think it depends on whether CUN is in "Latin America". Not sure myself...
Based on my last trip to MIA I was actually going ask if that was considered domestic as well. I do believe there are fewer U.S. citizens there than in Cancun.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
We have the personal experience of at least two FTers, hannibal151 and myself, who have earned 100% mileage on AA's "O" fares to SJO and GUA.

I am convinced that the information I was given by the AA customer service representative and reported in the thread referenced by nako is correct, and "O" fares earn miles anywhere where sticker upgrades work. That would include Mexico.

I do understand that AA's language about "Latin America" is confusing. AA's language is often confusing and/or contradictory.

If anyone has flown an "O" fare to Central America and not received miles I would encourage them to a) report their experience here and b) immediately contact AAdvantage customer service to receive the miles.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
O fares to cun get mi's and pts....i was monitoring a friends plt challenge and saw them post to his account...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Same experience for me. Mexico and Central America do not seem to be part of the "Latin America" description that excludes O tickets from earning miles.

As to the question of 1 segment possibly earning credit if on an O itinerary, I believe that if it is one US to Europe O fare (i.e a single DTW-ORD-LHR O fare, not one DTW-ORD O fare plus another ORD-LHR O fare) the entire trip does not earn miles. To be clear, that would not be the case here, since Mexico gets mileage credit, and both segments DTW-MIA-CUN would accrue miles.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f9999
Based on my last trip to MIA I was actually going ask if that was considered domestic as well. I do believe there are fewer U.S. citizens there than in Cancun.
My point was based more on American Airlines Geography, which as you may have realized by the ensuing discussion, does not often reflect what they teach us in school. I was not referring to the ethnic composition or nationalities of the inhabitants...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
I have earned EQM/Ps on an O fare from LAX-BOS-CDG r/t. ON both LAX-BOS-LAX i was given my miles...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psyflyer
I have earned EQM/Ps on an O fare from LAX-BOS-CDG r/t. ON both LAX-BOS-LAX i was given my miles...
For clarification, I assume that you got no miles on the BOS-CDG-BOS segments, correct? If so, it looks like they've implemented an origin/destination filter, which makes sense, since parsing the ticket to figure out the fare construction (i.e. discriminate whether it's a domestic "O" fare or an international one) would be nightmarish.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've updated the Inventory Classes and Mileage Eligibility page in the wiki (at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....rican_Airlines) to reflect this.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by f9999

Well, AA considers MIA to be an international destination ex-JFK. All flights to MIA depart from Terminal 8.

I would agree that Miami is pretty much a Latin American country on its own (with the exception of the huge domestic retiree population).

So I guess we could divide Florida (as Dave Barry has) into three parts:

North: Florida
Center: Disney, Inc.
South: Miami, Latin America
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold
Smile

Thanks for the great info. Now we all know that we can earn mileage on O itineraries to Mexico. Anyone up for a little Spring-Break MR in March?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Well, AA considers MIA to be an international destination ex-JFK. All flights to MIA depart from Terminal 8.
Not all, I departed the new T9 last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.